Name
Aiesha
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I am a photographer who is starting to do more and more studio work I mostly do product photography but I do also do family portraits, pet portraits, baby shoots ect.

I am trying to creat a home studio to help me but was wondering if people could recommend lighting kits.

I don’t really know much about lighting as I’m fairly new to the industry but trying to learn more and more! I am looking for as cheap as possible but at the same time I would prefer to pay a bit more if it means the quality will be a lot better!

I’m hoping to find maybe 2 lights with a rough budget of £150 but as I said I would rather pay a bit more for quality. I understand £150 isn’t massive but as I’m only starting out I don’t have much money to play with! If I can find a portable kit which I could take to other peoples homes as well that would be perfect!

i see the kits on eBay for like £50 but I don’t really trust they will be a very good quality!

Thank you so much in advance

Hi Aiesha, welcome to the forum. :)

You're right about the kits on the Bay of Evil - you'll just be throwing your money away.

You'll be hard pushed with your budget to buy new kit, but you could do it by buying second-hand.

You could save a little money by using speedlights instead of strobes, but you'll find yourself limited in several aspects.

I would suggest you look at the Godox range of strobes - I use the SK400IIs and have been very happy with them. I'm no expert or professional, but they give me the results I want and for very little money. You could start with just one of these, a reflector and a backdrop (although a curtain or wall can often be good enough).

Don't buy cheap, just build your kit as you need it.

Lastly, don't be tempted by constant light units - flash is far better unless you buy very expensive ones.

Last edited:
For around £150 then you are in the realms of the second hand market.
Facebook Market Place and Ebay are probably you're best bet.
Don't forget to also budget for flash head modifiers (softbox etc.) and also perhaps a flash head trigger to mount on top of your camera.
If you're budget will not stretch to two studio flash heads then you might consider using speed lights, although speed lights will have their limitations.

Something like this would be a start.
You could use this with a brolly, and a seperate reflector.
I use a single light and reflector for years to take portraits....
You can add more lights when you've got the money....

Hi, I am a photographer who is starting to do more and more studio work I mostly do product photography but I do also do family portraits, pet portraits, baby shoots ect.

I am trying to creat a home studio to help me but was wondering if people could recommend lighting kits.

I don’t really know much about lighting as I’m fairly new to the industry but trying to learn more and more! I am looking for as cheap as possible but at the same time I would prefer to pay a bit more if it means the quality will be a lot better!

I’m hoping to find maybe 2 lights with a rough budget of £150 but as I said I would rather pay a bit more for quality. I understand £150 isn’t massive but as I’m only starting out I don’t have much money to play with! If I can find a portable kit which I could take to other peoples homes as well that would be perfect!

i see the kits on eBay for like £50 but I don’t really trust they will be a very good quality!

The Godox strobes mentioned are controlled wirelessly, so you would need a transmitter for your camera, add a 3m light stand, and a couple of light modifiers...Look at Godox or Neewer for these....That would be a good single strobe set up for around your budget...Buy another strobe and stand as funds allow.

The only down side with these strobes is that they are 240v mains powered, but if you want a truly portable set up, the equivalent rechargeable strobes are probably twice to three times the price.....

Last edited:
For around £150 then you are in the realms of the second hand market.
Facebook Market Place and Ebay are probably you're best bet.
Don't forget to also budget for flash head modifiers (softbox etc.) and also perhaps a flash head trigger to mount on top of your camera.
If you're budget will not stretch to two studio flash heads then you might consider using speed lights, although speed lights will have their limitations.

Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it!

Sorry for more questions but I’m a total novice when it comes to lighting equipment!

So what is the difference between flash heads, strobes and speed lights?

And also with the flash head modifiers are there certain sorts for different types of photography eg are soft box’s great for portrait photography but bad for product photography or is it an all rounder

Lastly, are there other types of flash head modifiers which are good to use?

Again thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it and I hope you’ve had a great day:)

Start with one light, one stand and one modifier then work from there. Some great work is done with one light.

So what is the difference between flash heads, strobes and speed lights?

Ahh Aiesha - you've just stumbled on the nonsense that is "naming stuff in photography" :-/ Seemingly designed to make it all appear more complicated than it really is for newcomers :p Ok, so strictly speaking none of the lights we use are "strobes". Strobes are rotating lights like you used to get on old police cars, or in lighthouses - ie they actually turn around (or the reflector dish does anyway) so the beam of light sweeps around in a complete circle. However, in the completely inaccurate world of naming stuff in photography: "strobe" usually means a larger, usually mains-powered flash. "Speedlight" is a Nikon trademark, but is used generically to mean a small, hot-shoe, battery powered light - a "flash gun". The called em Speedlights due to the very short flash duration - very different to traditional studio flash. These days, studio heads are built the same way though and can be just as fast. Canon called theirs "Speedlites". "Flash head" just means any flash powered light really, but again, normally means bigger ones.

And also with the flash head modifiers are there certain sorts for different types of photography eg are soft box’s great for portrait photography but bad for product photography or is it an all rounder

Light modifiers produce light with different qualities, and you may find a need for those qualities in any given scenario. Softboxes for example, have one job: to make the light source bigger. A bigger source, from the subject's position, will produce "softer" light - ie light that casts shadows with a very soft, indistinct edge. A small light source (ie one that appears small from the subject's position on the other hand, will produce a hard, crisp edge - like the sun, for example. Looks very small from here on Earth and casts very crisp sharp shadows. You may find you need to use hard or soft light for both portraits and product work - there is not just one type of photography job for most modifiers, although some are used more for some things than others. When you know ow to produce each type of light, you'll just use whatever you need to achieve the look you want. I've used anything from big flash, small flash, candles, fire, walls, xmas decorations, disco lights, lasers etc to light stuff.

Lastly, are there other types of flash head modifiers which are good to use?

Oh yes :) One of the key things to learn about lighting is how shadows behave when varying the distance from the object casting the shadow, to the light, and the distance from the object to the surface the shadow falls on. This arrangement, dictates the design of lots of modifiers like snoots (long tubes to place the opening further from the light), barn doors (that place an edge, at short distance from the light source) and "flags" (sheets of - normally black - card that can place somewhere between the light and the subject to cut the light). Grids - restrict light to a narrower angle, and reflector dishes alone come in various shapes and sizes that produce different light patterns at a given distance - with various rates and profiles of fall-off from the centre to the edge.

I tested all the ones I had a few years ago - here's the results

Then there's projectors - like the "spot lights" you see in theatres, they have a focusing system and can project an image using flash (or continuous light, but flash is so much smaller, cheaper and brighter).

Check out this free e-book from our own @Garry Edwards https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/free-lighting-e-book.689037/ Lighting Magic

Also - I highly recommend Daniel Norton's "On-Set" series on Adorama TV. Short prerecorded episodes dealing with some aspect of light, and longer live sessions that better sow the actual process of arriving at the finished setup (a lot of slick pre-recorded tutorials don't show the hours of experimenting and development that go on, especially with product work)

Don't worry about understanding every little thing you see on there - just watch several and you'll start to see repeating techniques and solutions :) You don't need exactly what they are using to produce the same kind of results - and Daniel will constantly remind his audience of that - one of the reasons why I like him as a presenter!

As for a light - I'd buy a Smartflash 4 from Lencarta with a trigger

(Note that listing is for the Nikon compatible trigger - choose the one for your camera! ) This is the same Light that Bob linked to on ebay just from a UK based supplier who can repair them. It's a bit more (the trigger is worth about £30). I think it's worth it for the excellent customer service/support Lencarta offer.

Last edited:
Ahh Aiesha - you've just stumbled on the nonsense that is "naming stuff in photography" :-/ Seemingly designed to make it all appear more complicated than it really is for newcomers :p Ok, so strictly speaking none of the lights we use are "strobes". Strobes are rotating lights like you used to get on old police cars, or in lighthouses - ie they actually turn around (or the reflector dish does anyway) so the beam of light sweeps around in a complete circle. However, in the completely inaccurate world of naming stuff in photography: "strobe" usually means a larger, usually mains-powered flash. "Speedlight" is a Nikon trademark, but is used generically to mean a small, hot-shoe, battery powered light - a "flash gun". The called em Speedlights due to the very short flash duration - very different to traditional studio flash. These days, studio heads are built the same way though and can be just as fast. Canon called theirs "Speedlites". "Flash head" just means any flash powered light really, but again, normally means bigger ones.

Light modifiers produce light with different qualities, and you may find a need for those qualities in any given scenario. Softboxes for example, have one job: to make the light source bigger. A bigger source, from the subject's position, will produce "softer" light - ie light that casts shadows with a very soft, indistinct edge. A small light source (ie one that appears small from the subject's position on the other hand, will produce a hard, crisp edge - like the sun, for example. Looks very small from here on Earth and casts very crisp sharp shadows. You may find you need to use hard or soft light for both portraits and product work - there is not just one type of photography job for most modifiers, although some are used more for some things than others. When you know ow to produce each type of light, you'll just use whatever you need to achieve the look you want. I've used anything from big flash, small flash, candles, fire, walls, xmas decorations, disco lights, lasers etc to light stuff.

Oh yes :) One of the key things to learn about lighting is how shadows behave when varying the distance from the object casting the shadow, to the light, and the distance from the object to the surface the shadow falls on. This arrangement, dictates the design of lots of modifiers like snoots (long tubes to place the opening further from the light), barn doors (that place an edge, at short distance from the light source) and "flags" (sheets of - normally black - card that can place somewhere between the light and the subject to cut the light). Grids - restrict light to a narrower angle, and reflector dishes alone come in various shapes and sizes that produce different light patterns at a given distance - with various rates and profiles of fall-off from the centre to the edge.

I tested all the ones I had a few years ago - here's the results

Then there's projectors - like the "spot lights" you see in theatres, they have a focusing system and can project an image using flash (or continuous light, but flash is so much smaller, cheaper and brighter).

Check out this free e-book from our own @Garry Edwards https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/free-lighting-e-book.689037/ Lighting Magic

Also - I highly recommend Daniel Norton's "On-Set" series on Adorama TV. Short prerecorded episodes dealing with some aspect of light, and longer live sessions that better sow the actual process of arriving at the finished setup (a lot of slick pre-recorded tutorials don't show the hours of experimenting and development that go on, especially with product work)

Don't worry about understanding every little thing you see on there - just watch several and you'll start to see repeating techniques and solutions :) You don't need exactly what they are using to produce the same kind of results - and Daniel will constantly remind his audience of that - one of the reasons why I like him as a presenter!

As for a light - I'd buy a Smartflash 4 from Lencarta with a trigger

(Note that listing is for the Nikon compatible trigger - choose the one for your camera! ) This is the same Light that Bob linked to on ebay just from a UK based supplier who can repair them. It's a bit more (the trigger is worth about £30). I think it's worth it for the excellent customer service/support Lencarta offer.

Thank you so much!! That’s super helpful, I really appreciate it! X

I am trying to creat a home studio to help me but was wondering if people could recommend lighting kits.:sony:

So, I have to ask how do you light the products you say you photograph???

Go to Lencarta spend a lot more than £150 is my advice- if you want to produce consistently good images

like this kit ( I own personally) https://www.lencarta.com/all-produc...-softbox-and-reflector-kit-with-xpro-for-sony

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I put this up last month Aiesha; you may find it helpful:

This video from Adorama may answer a lot of your questions too:

View: https://youtu.be/3NZCc2u9bdk

Last edited:
You have some very good answers above, and especially from Owen Lloyd.
Just to expand a bit on what he has told you about "Strobes" - a strobe was originally a brand of studio flash, and for some reason there's a tendency to call studio flashes "Strobes" - which makes about as much sense as calling Dyson vacuum cleaners "Hoovers".

As for my "Lighting Magic" e-book, just send me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you. You should then understand the challenges better.

As for my "Lighting Magic" e-book, just send me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you. You should then understand the challenges better.
I've just realised that you're very new here, and I think that because of this you can't use the private message system yet . . .
So, to contact me with your email address,
1. Click on my name
2. Click on "About" on the blue bar.
3. Send me a text, my phone number is right at the bottom of that page

You probably need to go on a training course first to gain an understanding. Decent 1 day course should be enough to serve as an introduction (although they are generally very basic and should be treated as a starting point on which to build). Wex and The Flash Centre run them "during normal times" but don't know what the availability is with Covid. Most likely will be on hold for some time.

In terms of cost, £150 even second hand isn't going to go far, and by the time you add in backdrops, stands, reflectors etc in honesty it isn't enough. You would probably be better locating a fully equipped hire studio initially that will let you pay by the hour. Make sure it is properly equipped. The other advantage of a hire studio is that with a good one at least, they should have more space and facilities. Having done so in the past, working in a domestic environment is a pain. It can be done at a push "sometimes" but in honesty it is far from ideal, and very limiting. It is also time consuming as you need to factor in set up and breakdown time into each shoot. Sign up for Purple Port and run a search in your area. You then need to read between the lines and whittle down which ones are worth looking at.

Back