Workshop STUDIO PREMISES ON BEAUTFUL DIVERSE FARM LOCATION with PARKLAND, LAKE, WATERALL AND WOODLANDS

Name
Benny Butler
Edit My Images
Yes
I wanted to know how much you could charge other photographers to use the above for workshops etc

The location is roughly an hour outside of London. Closest town would be Braintree in Essex.

In terms of what would be on offer to potential photographers wanting to host workshops on the site -

A professional photography studio premises with classroom and toilet facilities. Ample parking for groups of six or more.

From the studio its no more than a ten minute walk to the following sites -

Access to ancient woodland that surrounds a lake. The lake itself has a lot of interesting wildlife including swans, Heron, ducks, moorhen etc

It is not a fishing lake anymore and therefore groups would have unlimited access throughout most parts of the year. I'm not personally into wildlife photography but if Hides and things needed to be created for wildlife workshops then I'm sure this would be possible.

There is a mini waterfall and two bridges at either end of the lake, both make very unique locations for lifestyle photography.

The parkland is roughly 20 acres and leads down to the lake, it has a diverse range of trees dotted around it, one of which being an incredibly old and rare mulberry tree.

I think it would be an ideal place to run workshops and I'd really like to keep things photography focussed.

If any of you kind folks could give me some advise about where to start, and anyone who might be worth getting in touch with then I'd be really grateful. I'm pretty open to ideas and things at this stage.

Last edited:
How about putting up some shots of locations, then people would have a better idea?
Even if not used for workshops, if it's a good location, it might be usable for a portrait/engagement style shoot?

Most places here (US) charge around $40/hr with 1/2 day/day rate discounts. Some include lighting and BGs in that cost...others charge extra. Some studios will have other features like infinity walls/rooms, the ability to fit vehicles (w/ suitable lighting for them), or studio sets (i.e. boudoir), and those types of features are a premium (higher cost, lower use). Those that offer workshop space typically also offer suitable workstations. If your only offer is space and scenery, I think it is very doubtful.

But, I've never seen a successful studio rental business that wasn't in a larger city. And most (all?) workshops I've ever seen are offered in larger cities. I think the 1hr drive is a killer... even with a good setup/equipment/scenery.

I've considered starting a similar business, but the reality of overhead costs (equipment, insurance, etc) to really properly setup/maintain such a business makes it fairly untenable... and I live in a moderately sized city.

Access to ancient woodland that surrounds a lake. The lake itself has a lot of interesting wildlife including swans, Heron, ducks, moorhen etc

I think a wildlife workshop would have to offer a better grade of wildlife than that TBH :)

But, I've never seen a successful studio rental business that wasn't in a larger city. And most (all?) workshops I've ever seen are offered in larger cities. I think the 1hr drive is a killer... even with a good setup/equipment/scenery.

agreed even for an hours drive you'd have to be offering something special

Back