Stuff

crusher

Greengrass
Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
Been playing around with my new(ish) macro lens again today. I still haven't got round to getting (or making) a light tent/box, so I'm just making do with the table top and a couple of household lamps. I used a bit of old black fleece as a background - but I didn't realise how horrible it would look, so please excuse that!!

C & C welcome, it's the only way I'll get better......

1. Evergreen
Fir1.jpg

2. Needles
Needles.jpg

3. Thread
Thread.jpg

4. Anyone remember these?
Black_Jack.jpg

5. Crumbs!
Crumbs.jpg

6. Daisy
Daisy4.jpg

Thanks for looking.

The background problem can easily be fixed. Are you farmiliar with using layers? If so (I tried it with the daisy pic), copy and paste your image into the same frame, increase the contrast until the background looks flat, with only the odd fleck visible. Then use your eraser tool to rub out the flower to bring the original underneath through. Then spot clone the extra little flecks off, flatten or merge the layers, and save. That should give you a neat black background on these.

You can still use the black fleece for background in other shots, the trick is to try and lift your subject away from it, that should blur it enough to make it appear like jet black material.

I think the daisy shot is the best of the bunch here. Though your Black Jack shot appealed to me for another reason, and I demand that you send me some in the post. I want some ... NOW :D

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

I'm afraid my PP skills are in their infancy and I only have Elements 5 at present (although a rumour abounds that I may have a pleasant surprise for Xmas - I've dropped enough hints)!

I assume I'll have to shoot in RAW to use layers etc. This is something I've never done before, so I'll have to read up on it. I'm sure I'll find plenty of tutorials on the web as well.

As to the Black Jacks - I'm sorry but they disappeared shortly after I took the photo! Can't think what might have happened to them. ;)

Once again, thanks.

No you can do layers with any image hon :)

You can download a free trial to Paint shop Pro Photo x2 via the corel site. Or indeed Photoshop. Plus there are a few others out there for free. All of which should have the tools to do layers, it's easier than it sounds :)
HTH.

Thanks once again - will investigate and have a go.

Damn I used to love black jacks when I was a kid, I'm surprised they are still called that and the PC army haven't in their wisdom changed it. I do like the needles best ;)

Back