Stupid Question

Well it is extra battery power you could say but the main use that people buy them for is to make the camera a bit more balanced and can add comfort to larger handed people.

Grips are used for two reasons for extra batteries for longer shooting and the ability to turn the camera round into portrait view and still hold the camera as you would normally plus you have all the essential controls at you r fingertips still as they are duplicated on the grip!

Also they make your camera look all cool and pro looking! :D

Bloomin heavy, got one for mine in a gearfreak moment..................it's still in the box......:shake:

I can imagine... I've avoided getting one for this very reason. Im sure some people have genuine uses for these but a lot of the time it seems a bit 'my camera's bigger than your camera' to me.

A lot of it depends on how you like to shoot in portrait orientation. Personally don't like to twist my hand round and I shoot a lot in portrait. Also I find it helps with balance when using longer lenses.

And that was my serious answer BTW. ;)

A lot of it depends on how you like to shoot in portrait orientation. Personally don't like to twist my hand round and I shoot a lot in portrait. Also I find it helps with balance when using longer lenses.

And that was my serious answer BTW. ;)

:agree: this is because grips can have a further set of controls on them eg Shutter button etc, which when used in portrait mode means the grips shutter button falls in the place where the cameras one was (think I've explained that well :thinking:)

Another benifit as already metioned is it takes 2 batteries so you don't need to swop batteries and potentially miss a shot / loose the other battery. They also sometimes come with a cartridge for taking AA batteries as an "emergency" solution to no power remaining in the camera's battery.

Is a personal choice, if you do pick one up and don't get on with it, you shouldn't have a problem in selling it on (y)

I had one on my Nikon D70s...Far from adding balance I found it heavy and cumbersome.
I find having a fully charged battery and a spare also fully charged, tha I have no power probs. at all.... I can only think of one set of circumstances when it would be of any use and that would be for continuous shooting. (y)

Back