Critique Substitute globby

Great stack Tim and nice colour on this Barkfly. (y)

Indeed barkfly seem to be in abundance at the moment but how you manage to do a 27 shot stack without it moving much I don't know :thinking:

It's brilliant Tim though your good at this bug malarkey don't get it really. :p

Tim, this is insanely good.

I've never quite understood how you and the other guys who do these stacks with many images manage this. I cannot keep steady enough to get that many shots.

It's one area that I'm really not improving in, and it's frustrating, so any tips you have would be very well received.

Very nice Tim. I must get out into the Wind and rain and look for globbys too :)

Superb stack, good to see so much detail on this minute insect.

Thanks all

Indeed barkfly seem to be in abundance at the moment but how you manage to do a 27 shot stack without it moving much I don't know :thinking:
Maybe this will help explain it ;)

Looks like it has some kind of fungal infection. It would walk around but was pretty sluggish:
Valenzuela flavidus - Lateral View by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

It's brilliant Tim though your good at this bug malarkey don't get it really. :p
Ha ha!

Tim, this is insanely good.

I've never quite understood how you and the other guys who do these stacks with many images manage this. I cannot keep steady enough to get that many shots.

It's one area that I'm really not improving in, and it's frustrating, so any tips you have would be very well received.
Well I always think it's a bit of a misnomer to call it "handheld stacking." It gives the impression you are holding out the camera and relying on your arms to keep the camera straight. In reality you want to rest against something, either held up against a tree/hedge/wall or more often on these high magnification shots I am resting my hands on the ground. In this instance I was using the "left hand brace" technique to hold the leaf. After that it's just a case of moving your fingers slightly to get the different "slices" of focus.

The difficult part is using the stacking software to align the images and resolve any movement errors. Even with seemingly still subjects they move quite a lot between frames. Thankfully Zerene has a great retouching function that makes it easier than trying in photoshop, but it can still take a while to sort out.

Back