Suggest me a phone? or tiny camera.

Name
thomas
Edit My Images
Yes
I have never owned a smartphone. I have not much interest in them. But I would really like the idea to carry a camera around, that is the only point which makes me want a smartphone. My camera setup is fairly small GX9 with 15mm lens but still to big to carry around all the time.

Now I don't like how huge and expensive mobile phone are.

Is there a mobile phone in the 100-150£ region with a compact size which is worth considering?
Or is there a tiny pocket camera worth considering.

Lots of small point and shoot cameras are worth a look. I still rate my elderly Nikon Coolpix 5200 which slips into a pocket easily and is half the weight of a GX9, but I'm not up to speed with the more modern offerings. Waaaaay better than my phone anyway. Try looking second hand if you want more bang for your buck.

I have a little sony cybershot ,its about 3*2*0.5 inches , weighs 120 grms,20mgpx , 5* optical zoom fits in the palm of your hand ,it cost all of £65 new

Now I don't like how huge and expensive mobile phone are.

Is there a mobile phone in the 100-150£ region with a compact size which is worth considering?

Mrs WW has a Samsung that cost £124 two years ago and it takes pictures which which when looked at as whole pictures look nice on the smartphone screen and tablet. They don't look good when pixel peeping on a pc though. If that's all you want any low end to mid market phone may be worth a look.

If like me you really don't like phones a compact camera could be worth a look. I have an ancient Canon Ixus which takes pictures that look ok on screen and it even has a useable VF. It's about credit card sized, but obviously thicker. The Ixus range is still available and some are available around the £150 mark but sadly I don't think they have VF's anymore. Hopefully I'm wrong. Maybe you don't insist on a VF and it that's the case maybe look at a compact. Some are available for well under £100 and I did spot one on Amazon for £30.99 :D I don't know how good or bad it is though.

Last edited:
I have a little sony cybershot ,its about 3*2*0.5 inches , weighs 120 grms,20mgpx , 5* optical zoom fits in the palm of your hand ,it cost all of £65 new
Thanks ... sony cybershot .... which model?

I love my Canon G7X ... 1 inch 20 mp sensor. Tilt up screen (I'd never buy a camera without one). 24-100mm equiv.

@Lemaildetom ... Maybe a coat pocket camera: a GX800 with 12-32 pancake kit lens or pancake prime. And you can use it with your existing M43 lenses.

Thanks for the ideas!
I think i've ruled out a smartphone. I'm not ready i love my brick phone, it's simplicity, cheapness and easiness of replacement.
I'm looking at small point and shot. And i've been attracted by the tough one. I'm thinking I might be able to share it with my 5 years old boy too.

I went slightly oversized and over-budget.
I just order an olympus tg-5:
It looks in great condition, comes with a lot of accessories:
- a spare battery and wall charger
- a lowepro case
- an adaptater and classic style lens cap
- a sliding type lens type
All for £169 including delivery, looks like a steal!

Very excited with this. I'm sure I could have either got a much small point and shoot or a similar size camera like the canon g9 x ii with a much better sensor. But I know I can stop worrying and keep it in my work bag and let my boy play with it whenever he wants to.

Last edited:
Good glad you are sorted and I hope you enjoy it.
And thanks for letting us know, all too often members who try to help never find out what has happened.

I thought that as well as being rugged a design with a lens which don't extend in and out will be better for him too. Because you can put it down more easily.

I still like my Canon S100 it feels tiny even compared to the RX100, I see they come up on ebay under £100.
The successor S120 can still be found new

It says dsc w800 if thats any help

Thanks, it's just AFAIK, the cybershot name is given to all Sonys, except the interchangeable lens cameras. I've been thinking about getting a tiny point & shoot for street photography in the rain. I know there are waterproof ones like the above mentioned Olympus but I'm not sure waterproof is required, just something that wouldn't be too upsetting if, on the off chance, got waterlogged. I've now looked into the cybershot W range and it compares well, in many ways, to the waterproofed. And I've seen one advertised locally for £35 inc. spare battery, card etc. :cool:

To come back to that olympus TG-5 in case someone find this thread with the search option.
First impression are ok.

It's good for:
- my son (he actually loves it), and the design with a lens which doesn't extent is just much better for him
- macro (you can get within 0.5cm at the long end of the zoom) so I guess you can fill the frame with something 0.5cm long which is pretty impressive.
- landscape photos in normal condition are ok at the wide end and getting softer at the long end.
Overall, it's good because i don't like smartphone so I can carry it when i don't want to carry a camera bag. Intrigued by the macro mode which might open a few new horizon to my photography, as well as the waterproof side of thing which one day could be fun.

Now i come from dlsr and there is a few thing that i am not used to;
- no manual mode
- weird aperture, for each focal lengh you have only 3 aperture (fully open, one stop down, then a much smaller aperture which isn't one, it's in fact a ND filter use to simulate a darker frame). Which mean in aperture mode at the wide end you can shoot at f2, f2.8 and a pretend f8 which is in fact f2.8 with a nd filter
-weird choice of shutter speed, often on the wide end in darker environment the shutter speed drop to 1/30th well before the iso reach the top, it's ok for me but a bit hard for my boy. Sadly there is no shutter priority mode.
Overall, you have to remember it's a point and shot and it's going to have limitation (big limitation).

So yes no impressed really but also a bit impressed. Funny feelings.

I would go for a decent smartphone camera (like the Google Pixel 3); even the large ones will slip into your back pocket like no compact camera can. I used to have a Sony RX100 which was good, but I still didn't want to take it with me everywhere like you would a smartphone.

I love my Canon G7X ... 1 inch 20 mp sensor. Tilt up screen (I'd never buy a camera without one). 24-100mm equiv.

@Lemaildetom ... Maybe a coat pocket camera: a GX800 with 12-32 pancake kit lens or pancake prime. And you can use it with your existing M43 lenses.

I actually ordered a GX880 with 12-32. I think the TG-5 is great but I like a bit more. Looking forward to it!

I actually ordered a GX880 with 12-32. I think the TG-5 is great but I like a bit more. Looking forward to it!
Oh well done ... enjoy!

I use the GX80, love it, but not really too familiar with the GX800/GX880 or the GX9. But I'm sure you'll find your new toy quite a bit smaller, lighter and more streamline (no viewfinder) for coat pocket. :)

Back