Suggestions for either 24-70mm or (around) 16-35mm

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
I’m happy with second hand and my budget is £400-500.

Tamron 17-35mm 2.8-4 has great reviews and is only £600 new so should be well within budget second hand but it’s a fairly new lens so there aren’t any second hand on the market. On the 24-70 side, the Tokina 2.8 has had some phenomenal reviews. Has anyone had experience with it?

Thanks,
Tom

Hi Tom - what camera / mount are you looking to buy for?

I assume its DSLR but is it Nikon / Canon?

If its Nikon I'd highly reccomend the Nikon 16-35 f4 lens - can be had for around £500 used these days and its an excellent wide angle - I've just picked up another D750 and I might pick a 16-35 up myself!

The Tamron 17-35 is well reviewed but as you say its so new meaning there are few used copies around.

I'd also highly reccomend the first version of the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC lens - perhaps not quite on par with the newest Nikon Mount 24-70 f2.8 or the V2 of the Tamron lens but it can easily be had for under £500 used wheras the newer ones are clser to the £800 mark!

Hmm, I’ve seen those super cheap ones on Toby Deals and did a bit of research and apparently it’s a bit dodgy. Is e-infin a bit more reliable??

Hmm, I’ve seen those super cheap ones on Toby Deals and did a bit of research and apparently it’s a bit dodgy. Is e-infin a bit more reliable??

Don’t think e-infin are related to Toby deals. Not that I’ve heard of anyway. Always been good for me and others seem to like them too.

Are you still using a D3300 or have you gone to FX? If you are buying for the D3300 then those lenses are usable, but not helpful.

I've bought OK from E-Infinity once, but they only give 12 months warranty. :(

Are you still using a D3300 or have you gone to FX? If you are buying for the D3300 then those lenses are usable, but not helpful.

I've bought OK from E-Infinity once, but they only give 12 months warranty. :(

Still on D3300 but looking to go full frame when I’ve replaced my kit lens (hence this purchase).

Still on D3300 but looking to go full frame when I’ve replaced my kit lens (hence this purchase).

I'd probably suggest changing body and one lens than 2 lenses and keeping the old body, but you know best how to manage your cash flow.

I have to fund new kit by selling old. Having two cameras on the go isn’t really an option. Maybe one day!

Me too - I sold my D610 + around 10 lenses as a job lot for my A7III + 24-105. At least you have a common mount to share, but if you plan to carry on using the D3300 for a while then I'd not buy either of those options, and especially not new.

Me too - I sold my D610 + around 10 lenses as a job lot for my A7III + 24-105. At least you have a common mount to share, but if you plan to carry on using the D3300 for a while then I'd not buy either of those options, and especially not new.
I can see why a 24-70 on a crop sensor is an awkward focal length but 16-35 seems ideal - i shoot mostly in that region at the moment anyway.

The Tamron 17-35 is a great lens, in my opinion. Use it with the FTZ adapter on the Nikon Z6.

Yeah, I’ve heard really good things - unrivalled at that price point. If I go with that focal length that would be my choice and to be honest, I’m erring on that now.

I had the 16-35mm, but on a Nikon D750. I sold mine last week on this forum for £295.00, in very good condition, It was probably my favourite lens, I also had the 24-80mm, but, these were on full frame, the 16-35mm becomes 24-85 on a crop sensor. I used the 24-80mm most of the time, so the 16-35mm on a crop would be good, and you can use it if you ever change to full frame. When I had a Nikon crop camera I used the Sigma 10-20mm for wide angle images.

Back