Suggestions for Lake District in April

Edit My Images
No
I have a week or so off around the 10th April and was hoping to get away for 5 or so days (Need to be back for 16th).
I was thinking about paying the Lake District a visit.

Any suggestions where to stay as a base for photographing the area?

If you have no specific area in mind I'd go for somewhere central. From the Ambleside area you can drive to anywhere in the lakes (except the far west ) in half an hour or so at this time of year.

I would agree about Ambleside. Gives you a good access point to get behind Windermere and head towards the Langdales, Coniston Hodge Close etc. Over Kirkstone via the Struggle and you are at Brotherswater and Ullswater. Rydal, Grasmere and even Thirlmere are on your doorstep and its not too far along the main road to Keswick - hang a left and you are into Borrowdale. A slightly longer trip to Buttermere and Crummock but still no great hassle as you can pick a route with plenty of options en route.

There isn't a best time of year - it is busy all year round these days. In Elterwater a couple of weeks back and the NT car park was full mid week. Buttermere last Wednesday was mobbed with folk parking all the way up the hill. I work on the Steamers on Ullswater and we have been getting over 100 on the 11 o'clock boat recently. 20 years ago we did have a "this time of year" but that doesn't apply anywhere near as much now.

Back