Suggestions for new 35mm Slr

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
As the Title suggest's,im looking for a New(used Obv) Camera.
I want to Go canon,I'm using Pentax for film at the moment and Canon Digitally.It makes sence to have lenses that i can use on both cameras,as it will cut down on weight and space in my bag :)

Im not too sure on the Film options,like, which one would be the best to go with. A friend at College has an Eos 3 and an Eos 500. I love how bulky the Eos 3 is and im thinking that,but i dont know if theres other camera i should consider.
Anyone have any suggestions?

John

Eos 5 and 50 both had eye tracking focus i.e. you look through the viewfinder at what you want the focus point to be, the camera asses this and focuses the lens on that point, the 50 was better than the 5 at that. The 5 however has a really nice feel to it, bulk, weight distribution etc and were very cheap (recently) on flea bay.
I find all my lenses a/f slower on my film bodies though when compared to my digital ones.
You will need to buy an Eos body and not an A or F series as they had FD lens mounts which are not compatable with Eos, but there were some nice bodies then and the lenses were compact and of very good quality.
Any flashgun you have "should" be backwards compatable, in as much it will fire and you may retain TTL on some, not sure about E-TTL, I thnk some had it, but not all, just dont bank on it.

Matt

EOS-3 IMHO, AF is faster than my 20D does E-TTL for the flash and it a cracking camera in every way. TBY should be along shortly to tell you likewise I expect :)

for me there's pretty much 2 or 3 cameras to go for given that you want something that handles like a modern digital camera. The EOS-3 is the one I went for, and is a fantastic bit of kit, and with a AF/Exposure system thats only really surpassed by the 1D series in todays cameras. A similar, but if anything even better option is the EOS-1V - pretty much a EOS-3 but with marginally faster drive speed 10fps with the PB-E2 grip as opposed to 7fps on the EOS-3. The 1V has a further trick up its sleeve - if you get the optional EOS-link software and cable, it can store and download to your computer all the details you normally get in a digital files EXIF data. It holds up to 100 rolls worth of detail in it's internal memory ready for downloading, so you can shoot a few rolls without having to download the data every roll. The 1V is pretty much the only film body i'd consider trading my EOS3 for.

A further option, and a little further down the price range is the EOS-30 - it's more the size and weight of your 500D, but still handles pretty well. It's also one of the last decent film camera designs that canon came out with, so may be a little less well-worn than the EOS-5's for example (I had one that worked for 2 weeks, 5 rolls of film, before getting a spontaneous case of the electrical never-get-overs :( turned out to be a melted flexible pcb - beyond any feasible economic repair unless I can find a donor camera with something else faulty like a busted shutter mech.)

The EOS-3, 1v and the 30 will all support E-TTL flash with the EX range of flashguns.

EOS-3 IMHO, AF is faster than my 20D does E-TTL for the flash and it a cracking camera in every way. TBY should be along shortly to tell you likewise I expect :)

I really should stop pimping these EOS-3's, shouldn't I :LOL:

(It's not as if I'm intending to sell the darned thing so wanting demand to drive up the prices... I'm more likely to be buying another as a spare tbh... especially as my mate is making noises about selling his old ones so I won't be able to scrounge one of them as a backup/alternative film body :bonk:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions! I've taken a look at the 1v and it's something that ideally I wouldn't mind, it's the price of it that Gets me, the eos 3 with the power grip seems something I could use and work with. The main reason I want a canon film slr is because I'm going to south Africa at the end f the year and I don't want to have to take 2 different systems, where as if u have canon slr and Dslr I will only need 3 lenses saving weight for my hefty tripod :p

My dad has the 1V and I have an EOS-3 after using both the 1V is nicer but I couldn't justify the extra cost, the '3 does almost as much for half the money and your only loosing 'nice' features like the exif and a bit of build quality, nothing essential.

The gripped EOS-3 is a VERY good camera if you want Canon.

Cheers, I've taken a look on Ebay tonight and theres a few going for around the £100 mark for a good used EOS-3, So i'll decide in the next few weeks when i might purchase it. I'm in dire need of a better quality Lens for my Digital slr first,so it might be what gets purchased first.

Back