suggestions on upgrades for a Nikon D40 please

Edit My Images
No
I currently use a Nikon D40 and have the "kit" 18-55 and 55-200 nikon zoom lenses (non VR versions).

The results from this have been excellent and my only criticism is that both the camera and lenses feel a bit like a toy - my film cameras are contax with zeiss lenses and have a much more sturdy feel.

I would like to get a fastish prime lens and also a telephoto/zoom of about 300mm. As I see there are two main options here

buy the AF-S versions - eg 35/1.8 and 70-300/ 4.5-5.6

or get a secondhand nikon body that will allow autofocus with non AF-S versions - eg D70 or D100 and get the much cheaper non AF-S second-hand lenses. My concern with this approach is that I would be getting a pretty old body (bearing in mind it's basically a computer) that may give worse results than my current D40.

Any opinions most welcome - cost is key factor.

Hi tim_uk, welcome to the forums.

I have the D40x and was struck with the same dilemma. I wanted to upgrade from the kit lens as it felt a bit flimsy and wasn't very sharp. I (and many others) can recommend the Nikon 18-70 DX. It is a surprisingly sharp lens and doesn't cost the earth (can be had for around about £100). It is a marvellous upgrade from the kit lens. If you want something a bit faster then consider the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8.

As for a zoom lens. I went for the 70-300 4.5/5.6 VR (which is now for sale as I don't use it) as I wanted the extra reach without spending too much money. Again, it is a great lens, well built and sturdy and nice and sharp wide open.

There is nothing wrong with the D40 (y) it's a great camera. It's what you bolt onto the front of it that matters :)

Dave

I could not agree more with Chumpalot, the D40 is an excellent camera, having said that, me and chump have the D40x, which is the same, but with more mega pixels.

If cost is an issue and you just want to upgrade your lenses then you should look at the Sigma range on their website, which are mostly excellent quality for the money. If you want the auto-focus feature then you are looking for Sigma lenses with a Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM).

Just to note I have a D40 and bought (off a member here) a Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 HSM lens to replace the kit lens and can say it is a fantastic lens. Much more substance to it than the kit lens and having the extra reach has so far come in very handy.

Just to note I have a D40 and bought (off a member here) a Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 HSM lens to replace the kit lens and can say it is a fantastic lens. Much more substance to it than the kit lens and having the extra reach has so far come in very handy.

I would also vouch for the D40, I bought one as a second camera to my D300 and took both cameras out for a day of photography at the WHF and when I reviewed the shots I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the D300 and the D40, the key as already mentioned is to get the best glass you can afford as that is where the difference in image quality really becomes apparant (IMHO anyway!)

If you've already got the D40 then I'd suggest sticking with that, it's a decent wee camera and apart from the lack of an af motor and one or two other small issues there isn't anything much to be gained by swapping to an oldie such as the D70 or D100.

I have a D40 and I upgraded to the lenses below in my sig which are superb.

Back