Summer Ceilidh!

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Just to show I take my camera to other places apart from up in the air I attended a friend's birthday ceilidh which was held in the Strathconon Hall. Some of the deer heads are over 100 years old!

Amy teaching a younger party goer
IMG_7109.jpg

This is my beautiful wife Jacqui doing a "Strip the Willow"
IMG_7174.jpg

IMG_7188.jpg

Some interesting shots there. I like the sense of movement you have acheived in the last one. Those deer heads look freaky - I'd have been waiting for the eyes to start moving :LOL:

These look great and you seem to have captured the atmosphere well (though I've never been to a ceilidh.
The 1st one is especially nice

Rich

very good, atmosphere carries nicely! 'strip the willow' - not heard that before

matty said:
'strip the willow' - not heard that before

That's cause your a sassenach! :LOL:

Actually some of the people in kilts are Londoners that came up for the party. One is soon to be on strictly come dancing I am told but this evening was strictly ceilidh!!

Oh, it's the name of the dance BTW, we have some beauties like "Dashing White Sergeant", "Eightsome Reel" and of course the "Gay Gordons"!!

Matty, I notice you change your tag line a lot.

can I change mine from "Been here a while" to "been UP here a while". It would better suit my avatar! :LOL:

These are great shots for a family event, how did you get the background so clear whilst maintaing a sense of motion? I assume you din't use the flash but don't imagine you had a tripod in a family party?

Thanks Peter.

The room was lit by a single sodium lamp (the kind you find in warehouses) so was bright above band and dark at other end of hall. I shot in RAW mode at ISO 1600 so hand held. This also had the benefit of not annoying people with flash. Colour cast was so strong that rather than dial in a colour temp I decided B&W would be best so took shots with this in mind. I had some others that would have been good had camera shake not been so obvious.

Thanks for comments!

Not at all, I am particularly interested because this is the sort of shot that I would love to get, great family shots of them having fun.

It's interesting how little noise you get even at a high ISO, did you use something like noiseninja?

What other settings did you use? judging from the DOF you could have had the aperture too open?

No noise ninja. Simply processed the RAW file into PS.

I mostly shot in "P" mode except where I wanted to capture movement where I set the shutter speed to 1/60th.

Lens is a f2.8L so this no doubt helped.

Back