Summer Hols

Name
Shaheed
Edit My Images
No
Hi

This is (I think) Virgin territory as I'm usually in the people/lighting forums.

In the not too distant future, we will be going on a camping trip to Northumberland and thought this would be a great opportunity to try my hand at some landscapes. We will be near sea houses and then into the national park!

I have a more than decent landscape set up (red snapper tripod, 16-35f4, d800 and the 10 stop recommended by Phil in the equipment forum).

At the risk of asking a foolishly broad question, any general tips or advice. Any location advice?

Thanks in advance

Shaheed

Last edited:
You summed it up in your first sentence, lighting!

Landscapes are all about the lighting, and the best times for good light are the first and last hours of it, bright midday sun is harsh and not terribly exciting whereas dawn and dusk bring long shadows, colours, far more interesting light. Get up early and go for a wander, even if it turns out to be a dull overcast day it is a great time to be out and about (and that comes from someone who hates getting up early!).

Location wise you're right in the thick of it where you'll be, that section of coast is really good, you've got Bamburgh Castle, Dunstanburgh Castle, Lindisfarne, loads of potential.

General tips, use the tripod for everything (there are people who will disagree with this), it slows you down and makes you think about your compositions, then either cable release (ideal) or self timer, together with mirror lockup if your exposures are getting longer. Also once you've got the composition you want take time to look all around you, you might find there is an even better composition behind you. Take a good pair of wellies and don't be afraid to get stuck in, simply wash your tripod down when you get back. Watch your tripod on wet sand, the legs can sink in meaning the movement spoils your shot, either look for some rock to plant them onto, or get some sand shoes.

Have fun!

You summed it up in your first sentence, lighting!

Landscapes are all about the lighting, and the best times for good light are the first and last hours of it, bright midday sun is harsh and not terribly exciting whereas dawn and dusk bring long shadows, colours, far more interesting light. Get up early and go for a wander, even if it turns out to be a dull overcast day it is a great time to be out and about (and that comes from someone who hates getting up early!).

Location wise you're right in the thick of it where you'll be, that section of coast is really good, you've got Bamburgh Castle, Dunstanburgh Castle, Lindisfarne, loads of potential.

General tips, use the tripod for everything (there are people who will disagree with this), it slows you down and makes you think about your compositions, then either cable release (ideal) or self timer, together with mirror lockup if your exposures are getting longer. Also once you've got the composition you want take time to look all around you, you might find there is an even better composition behind you. Take a good pair of wellies and don't be afraid to get stuck in, simply wash your tripod down when you get back. Watch your tripod on wet sand, the legs can sink in meaning the movement spoils your shot, either look for some rock to plant them onto, or get some sand shoes.

Have fun!

Brilliant! This is just what I was hoping to hear! Might get the chance to wander off without the kids one morning!

S

You should be OK for sunrises (given good weather); even by mid August the sun rises about 5:30.

If you do not already have this -- http://photoephemeris.com/ -- , have a look. It is free for PCs and Macs and shows the time and direction of the rising and setting sun (and moon). It is very useful for planning (and planning is a big part of landscape photography, especially around sunrise and set) and spotting potentially good places for a shot.

Dave

You should be OK for sunrises (given good weather); even by mid August the sun rises about 5:30.

If you do not already have this -- http://photoephemeris.com/ -- , have a look. It is free for PCs and Macs and shows the time and direction of the rising and setting sun (and moon). It is very useful for planning (and planning is a big part of landscape photography, especially around sunrise and set) and spotting potentially good places for a shot.

Dave

Brilliant. I'm a newbie to all this (portraits are my usual thing) but this is really helpful!!

Thanks again

S

As a relative newby myself trying my hand at landscapes I would add to all of the above, look out for litter in your foreground - all too often I get back to look at the pictures I have just taken on the iPad and I missed a crisp packet or something that annoys the he'll out of me the I didnt see it when I took the image. Don't make my mistake haha

Have fun

You could have a look at Beadnell - it's about 10 minutes down the coast from Seahouses and I think you can actually get a shot of a sunset across the sea because of the shape of the bay, even if you can't, there's the harbour itself and some limekilns

A point I would suggest is do not get the idea that landscapes have to mean a wide angle lens.

If you try to get big landscapes they are often a disappointment, pick on parts of the view and make sure that you have a strong point of interest in the image.

Shaheed

If using your tripod, make sure that your horizon is level and you have turned auto focus off

Use a remote shutter release or set your camera to a two second delay to avoid camera shake

There are some free apps for sunrise/sunset if you don't want to buy the photographer's ephemeris or do your research before you go as the Mac version is free (y) also worth doing your research before as you often find your phone signal lets you down on location just when you need it ;)

Shoot in AV unless you feel your happy to go full manual? Aperture wise the vast majority of shots will be taken at f8.0-f11.0

Not sure if you've got any filters? Really help balance out the exposure of sky and land

Location wise, when we stayed up there we were in the middle of nowhere (Netherton nr. Rothbury) which meant little light pollution. Perhaps try some astro photography. Wide aperture, high ISO 30s or more and see what you get (always better if you can get some foreground interest that you can light with a torch.

A

So got back today.

A few lessons learned - do the research! Be patient! Get to the right spot to find the right light! Learn a bit more about exposure calculations in your head! Get some bigger filters which don't vignette. Also - the one time you really want your tripod/kit will be the one time you've left it at home!!

That said, for a first go at it - its left me wanting to do more!!

The Stars above our Tent by Sir SR, on Flickr

Kielder Water Desolation by Sir SR, on Flickr

You, Me and THE Tree - Contemplation at Sycamore Gap by Sir SR, on Flickr

The second one, I wasn't allowed to get as close as I wanted, there was movement (distal planks were swaying in the water) and I didn't have my tripod/head with me (grrrrr and boo) so made do with a gorilla pod.

Thanks for all your advice - hopefully will get out to do some more in the near future!

Shaheed

Last edited:
Back