Summer moon shot at 1714mm (effective)

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Real size, just cropped, no enlargement.

Shot with a Canon 40D (on a tripod of course!) using:

1. Sigma 100-300mm f4 lens

2. Three teleconverters stacked:
a. Sigma 1.4x
b. Kenko 1.5x
c. Soligor 1.7x

300mm x 1.4 x 1.5 x 1.7 = 1071mm
1071 x 1.6 (Canon cropped sensor) gave me an effective 1714mm telescopic lens.

9b430efd.jpg

Bet that didn't require much cropping;). Don't know if it's just my screen, but maybe it could do with a slight contrast boost and sharpen?

Very little cropping, you are correct!

I can try some more editing but I did not want to mess up too much with it, was done mostly to show the magnification possible at 3.57x :)

You've got the colours showing through on the surface and the detail looks good... looks like it might be a little soft... I suspect the quantity of magnifiers

Last edited:
Just for reference the haze was due to the weather. It is actually much less visible than with the naked eye!

Any tips on how to remove it (if al all possible)?

Hmmm... I'm surprised. I normally "see" the haze when I'm shooting the moon with my 600mm Telescope but it doesn't appear in resulting the image. Try increasing the contrast a bit ?

Thats a GREAT shot !

I've just ordered a 2nd converter to have a bash at the moon

(y)

Phil

Like it, a tweak of the Levels and some contrast would help it though.

As said, boost the contrast slightly, and run it through and unsharp mask and I reckon it'll be even better than it already is.

Yes love the edit, really brings out the crators/details. Think ill have to invest in a TC or two!

Am at work at the moment, but will have a play when I get home, thanks.

You may want to enable your Edit tick box though in your user account so we can all keep to the Rules :)

OK, will do. If you would be able to use the RAW file for a better edit PM me with your email and you can have it :)

Just for comparison here is a shot I took through my Meade ETX 125 which is the equivalent of a 1500mm lens. Canon 450D and t adapter.
3174239343_f277e5a422_b.jpg

Last edited:
Just a quick edit from the RAW. Contrast and Exposure tweaked in raw, then some levels in PS.

Original by micloi

Some absolutely stunning pictures, well done to everyone who's posted a pic here

some lovely pics of the moon there.........stacking converters.......... i have an old(ish) 2x Pentax mount one somewhere, and borrowing a mates 1.7x Pentax super duper jobbie......... for going on hols next week to middle of nowhere!!!!!!! - up in teesdale - - - - looks like best i will get will be 1st quarter...... but am thinking Pentax Km on a tripod with remote release, with 1.7 and 2 x stacked and 500mm reflector lens (or would i be better off with a 120-400 siggy) - obviously the 500mm refractor is a bit longer, but siggy has better IQ.........

For those into astro photography, a good friend has a meade 10" (i think) telescope....... what kind of magnification could i hope to get by sticking the DSLR into the back of it?

Any tops as well as to shutter speed, iso and f no's for shooting the moon?

Thanks

Back