Sunday Pub Football

W

whiteflyer

Joining the sports photography is hard club, I nipped out this morning to the local park to try and get a couple of footballing shots.

Now I'm no fan of football so don't really know what is going on, but I'm sure it would be easier at at higher level of game , because the ball was just being kicked all over the place today. (it was very very windy mind you)

The only two half decent IMHO shot I got.

football2.jpg

football1.jpg

Football is something I'm not looking forward to attempting for the first time, although it's probably one of my favoured sports to attempt in general. You can see that you have the focus, compositiong, DoF, etc all right, but the action/players simply weren't in the right places at the right times.

Do you reckon professional togs pay the people who are doing the sports to make sure they're in the right position at the right time? :D

Pic1 makes it look like a really bad pitch!!!

For that shot I'd level the horizon and crop it portrait.

In general if I want some decent action I spend most of the time behind the goal that my team, or as a neutral the better team is attacking and stay in line with the edge of the penalty area either lengthways from behind the goal (either side of the goal) or sideway on the side of the pitch except on the side the the lino is running.

nice pics... yes crop the first.. and always go low for football... shoot up at a player not across.. much more dramatic affect :)

Behind the goalines is a good place but you get less photo ops unless you have a nice fast glass.
I tend to stay around the halfway line and get some nice close up action.
(goal ends make better player profile shots as you will get them running towards you.)

Goal ends also get a better DOF if your on a 200 say.. as the stand at the other end is furthur away..

My preffered position is sideline at about edge of penalty area.. on the side of the dugouts or where managers stand...when players score theres more chance of them turning towards bench or even running towards and you get better goal celebration shots..

Also from this position your good for arial battles when the keeper goal kicks and you can frame the whole goal area for goals... and get good bench shots of animated managers.. all in all part way between bench and corner flag for me...

Back