Sunpak PF30X Cactus Trigger Nikon D50 Problems

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey, i'm new to the forum, my name's Tom and im from Northern Ireland - my Flickr page is http://www.flickr.com/photos/tommcclelland

Today i received my Sunpak PF30X and Cactus trigger and receiver package. The Sunpak PF30X caused no problems on the camera and everything seemed to be working in i-TTL mode and manual. However when the trigger is attached to the camera and the receiver to the flash i cant seem to get the flash to fire! It is very frustrating and i cant figure out the problem!

The trigger and receiver are definately on the same channel and in contact with each other, when the shutter is released the red light flashes on the trigger and on the receier but the flash does not fire. I am shooting in manual mode with flash mode set to manual [full power]. Also i am keeping the shutter speed below 1/1000 just incase. Are there any other settings that could be affecting this? Or do you believe it is a problem with the receivers connection to the flash?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Have you tried firing the flash with the reciever attached and the transmitter in your hand and pressing the test button on the transmitter?

I'm not sure if the D50 has an electronic shutter like the D70 does so I'd also try syncing it at a speed below 1/250 too as a tester. If neither of these work try changing the batteries in the transmitter and reciever. They're notorious for being shipped with nearly dead batteries in them.

The other thing with certain flashes is that the voltage signal from the reciever isn't strong enough to set the flash off. Do you have another flash around you could try it with or know somebody you could borrow one from? If this is the case the recievers can be modded to give a bit more oomph.

I tried that but when i press test the red light on the receiver flashes but the flash doesnt fire, is the flash supposed to fire when i press test?

Ok i will try replacing the battery and trying the receiver on a friend's flash!

Thanks very much for your help.

The flash should fire when you press the test button providing the reciever is on and set to the same channel. Having said all that it's not unknown for the occasinal cactus set to turn up faulty. Depending on who you bought them from though it can be fairly easy to get a replacement.

Good luck

Back