Sunrise and Mist

Name
Les
Edit My Images
No
The sunrises over the misty lake

Newmillerdam-9655.jpg

Cheers for the feed back, yes Woody it is HDR and yes overcooked a bit, but at least the comp appears to work.

Les F

Corker! Not too overcooked imho - it looks really good! I can see that as a large wall hanger!!

What is HDR-you all say about it but maybe i understand it as something else-please enlighten a poor dumb photographer lol

By the way breathtaking shot

Love the framing of the shot with the trees either side and the drama of the clouds.

Lovely shot.

Excellent Issey - and just 10 mins from me too

Any other Wakefield areas worth a go do you think?

DD
In fact even spookier - I took my son to Newmillerdam for a kick about in the leaves and we stood in your tripod holes!

Now that is spooky!! :p Could have been spookier and see him take this shot.

The sunrises over the misty lake

Newmillerdam-9655.jpg

Beautiful pic, im not a big fan of HDR [prob cos I dont understand it really either lol] but I alway love taking photo's around newmillerdam

Fantastic shot, HDR IMO PERFECT!

Without trying to ruin the party, it really isn't that well applied here to be honest. The HDR really jumps out because the right hand side of the frame between the branches still looks un-processed as does the left hand side to an extent (HDR software rarely manages to do its thing in between tree branches unfortunately).

It is a lovely location though, looks like tons of potential!

Richard thanks for your honest opinion, I agree its not the best HDR I have done as even I believe its overcooked and I have reworked the shot toning things down and this has improved the image. The reworked version is on my web site.

by the way love your work Richard, cheers Les F

Richard thanks for your honest opinion, I agree its not the best HDR I have done as even I believe its overcooked and I have reworked the shot toning things down and this has improved the image. The reworked version is on my web site.

by the way love your work Richard, cheers Les F
No worries, I sometimes feel a bit akward when pointing out what I dislike about a picture, especially when others don't mention it, but I'm glad you can see where I'm coming from :) (and anyway, none of us would learn if these things weren't pointed out. If it wasn't for people pointing out where I could change things when I first started using forums - and infact still to this day - I firmly believe I wouldn't be much better than when I first started out lol)

Thanks for your kind comment about my work, much appreciated :)

Without trying to ruin the party, it really isn't that well applied here to be honest. The HDR really jumps out because the right hand side of the frame between the branches still looks un-processed as does the left hand side to an extent (HDR software rarely manages to do its thing in between tree branches unfortunately).

It is a lovely location though, looks like tons of potential!

hmm i still like it a lot but see what u mean.
its so hard in Hdr to get things right like between branches

hmm i still like it a lot but see what u mean.
its so hard in Hdr to get things right like between branches
Definately. Thats one of the things I don't like about HDR. The best HDR images I've seen I've not known they were until I read it.

It seems many people think HDR is the heavily processed 'surreal' look you get. That however is just a bi-product of the software trying to produce an image your monitor will display. A true HDR image is one that contains dark and light areas that are perfectly exposed, much like how the human eye see's things. We see HDR everyday, yet the world around us doesn't look like a surreal painting...

Once HDR monitors become the norm I think a lot of poeple will be shocked at how HDR really looks.

(of course saying all that, a lot of people do prefer the surreal look, but thats not 'true' HDR, more a 'filtered HDR'. I just like photos where you see the photo first rather than the processing).

:)

High Dynamic Range

Pete has a tutorial here.....

http://www.vanilladays.com/hdr-guide/ (y)
Perfect example of the filtered look and how to not have a photograph look like a photograph (not that there is anythign wrong with that if you prefer that, but how many of us out there do this to every photo we take? Not many). You can actually create this exact look without using HDR software, the software just lets you get there faster.
I think the biggest crime with HDR is when someone takes a single normal photo (of a duck for example) and whacks it through the software and then posts it saying 'look at my HDR shot'. Its all about understanding when this process is required and what a HDR scene looks like to start with! Personally I am a fan of taking several shots and then combining them myself using masks as then you get your HDR scene but it still looks accurate and when done right nobody would ever know its more than one exposure.

This sentence sums up HDR perfectly:

The intention of HDR is to accurately represent the wide range of intensity levels found in real scenes ranging from direct sunlight to the deepest shadows.

Unforunately many many people don't understand this and think it is a tool for creating funky effects which it is not. Our monitors are unable to display true HDR scenes straight out of the software which is why we have to play with them and make them look filtered.

Just to say again, I don't have a problem with people liking the surreal look. It just bugs me when people don't understand a process and call it something its not as that just confuses

Sorry for going a little off topic there. HDR is something I love to hate at times lol

NMD is a great place for pics. I went with a friend to get some shots a while back but didn't get anything, we then went 5 minutes to sandal castle as the sun looked good and got this one. (I've linked it to the original thread in case it's bad form to post photos on others) :thinking:

Back