Sunrise Over Malham

Edit My Images
Yes
Had a great weekend camping at Malham in the Yorkshire dales over the weekend and was up and about early on Saturday. I am not really a bigfan of HDR images but as I had taken 3 exposures of this I thought I would give it a go. C & C appreciated.

2882120574_341f10d058_o.jpg

Last edited:
Looks overdone to me, beautiful spot up there though and I love the low lying mist. What is the original like ?

PS.....the image is too large, needs to be 800 px on the longest side, just too let you know before the pixel police riot squad descend on you........:)

Lovely shot and my sort of HDR. It is on my list of places to visit at sunrise, well done for getting it :) not an easy place to get to in the dark I imagine! Cracking shot though (y)

On a side note I have had to change you pic to a link as it is oversized. There is a max size of 800 pixels on the longest side for posting photos on these forums. Feel free to change it back to the photo when/if you resize it.

I know Malham, and I know what a misty sunrise is like from the top of the cove, and it looks nothing like this, where are the shadows, where is the mood, where is that transient, silk like beauty you get on these occasions, the processing has ripped the heart and soul out of the subject.

It looks a cracking composition, that cries out for a 'normal' type of processing.

I know Malham, and I know what a misty sunrise is like from the top of the cove, and it looks nothing like this, where are the shadows, where is the mood, where is that transient, silk like beauty you get on these occasions, the processing has ripped the heart and soul out of the subject.

It looks a cracking composition, that cries out for a 'normal' type of processing.

Cannot argue with any of that Les.

I have to agree that the HDR is overdone. The pic in the first post has almost got the cartoon effect tone map...

love the colours and you have caught the mist well. bit too much wall fro my taste though.

LOL - That's not a wall , that is the ground. perhaps the OP should have got closer to the edge? (not somewhere I would like to be; I do some climbing in my spare time)

B.

I take it you don't like it Les, and to be honest I am not sure that I do but it was just an experiment really. I have posted the non hdr image that is comprised of three exposures, still not sure if my photography skills or processing skills are up to the job though. But still I am out and about trying.

The problem with HDR on landscapes is that it makes it look wrong, especially to people who know the area, as Les and I do, I spend a lot of time on the limestone up there and the image makes the outlook over the cove and the limestone itself look unnatural.

I am not a lover of HDR on landscape at all, though there was a seascape posted, can`t remember by whom, that was fabulous.

Sorry for the negative, but its just not my pot of char.

I take it you don't like it Les, and to be honest I am not sure that I do but it was just an experiment really. I have posted the non hdr image that is comprised of three exposures, still not sure if my photography skills or processing skills are up to the job though. But still I am out and about trying.

I can understand that :), but I hope you can understand my disappointment, I love the area, and when I saw the title of the thread, I couldn't wait to open the post, only to be confronted with a HDR image, I felt so let down :crying:, especially when it has the potential to be a first class image.

I thought images could be longer than 800 if they were hosted on another site?

nope

rules said:
To respect people that still access the internet via dial up or that are running small screen resolutions, images displayed in posts should be no larger than 800 pixels along their longest side, and if hosted by us in our free gallery, also have a maximum filesize of 200kb. There is no file size restriction on images hosted offsite, although we urge users to be sensible, we reserve the right to break links to images we feel may take too long to download.

3 exposures merged in CS3. I thought images could be longer than 800 if they were hosted on another site?

You can provide a link (alongside the TP 800 pixel image) to a larger image on an external host.

I couldn't wait to open the post, only to be confronted with a HDR image, I felt so let down :crying:, especially when it has the potential to be a first class image.

Thanks Les, I have to admit the more I look at the HDR image the more ridiculous it looks:) just a tad overdone maybe. It was a cracking morning up on the cove and I have lots of pics, many of the destined for the bin I think, but I do have some that I am quite happy with, problem is I was enjoying being out and about and any thoughts to compostion etc went straight out of my head.

Your right there Stephen, it is a truly fabulous place either early morning or late evening.......(y)

Hope you dont mind, but I had a little edit in photoshop doing the bits I normally do to my HDR stuff after tonemapping with Photomatix. Basically contrast and saturation boosts, with a bit of a yellow and red boost to make the most of the colour in the sky. It will probably make Les suicidal :p

2882223842_1dee9cb35a_o.jpg

compared to your original

2882170960_78643a41b7_o.jpg

Sorry Jimmy Lem...........it is a :thumbsdown: from me

Hope you dont mind, but I had a little edit in photoshop doing the bits I normally do to my HDR stuff after tonemapping with Photomatix. Basically contrast and saturation boosts, with a bit of a yellow and red boost to make the most of the colour in the sky. It will probably make Les suicidal :p

I've got my TP strap hung from the rafters as we speak ;) :)

Quick fiddle......ooer.

VelviaCopy.jpg

Back