Critique Sunrise through the trees - Extra photo added (and now edited)

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
It was another very cold and clear night on Saturday so I took the opportunity on Sunday morning to go down the park for the sunrise and try and improve on a photo I had previously attempted but had never been totally happy with. The tread featuring that photo is here if anyone is interested http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/park-sunrise-help-me-pick.468078/.

Anyhow, shot was taken from a very similar position but this time the weather was perfect with the crystal clear sky allowing the sun to create stronger shadows and the hard frost giving more texture and interest. It’s an improvement in my eyes so in that respect I’m pretty pleased with it.

2013_11_10StewartPark050 by Tunbridge Wells, on Flickr

I thought it might look better in B&W so had a go with this conversion. The high contrast nature of the shot does lend it’s self well to the conversion but I’m not sure it grabs the attention as much as the colour version. The highlights the frost creates on the grass as less obvious as frost which is an important element of the photo, plus the group of trees has lost some of its separation from the trees in the distance.

2013_11_10StewartPark050-2 by Tunbridge Wells, on Flickr

I also managed to grab this similar shot of an adjacent tree before the sun got too high. I do like some elements of this better than the first shot but I don’t think the overall composition is quite as strong?

2013_11_10StewartPark077 by Tunbridge Wells, on Flickr

Again, it worked well as a B&W conversation but as a stand-alone image the colour is still my preference.

2013_11_10StewartPark077-2 by Tunbridge Wells, on Flickr

Any thoughts?

Its definitely an improvement on the 1st attempt. Good strong shadows and a nice touch with the frost definitely gives it that late autumn feel. Personally I prefer the first one over the b&w and the other perspectives. Might have liked to see a little of the sun through the trees but its a minor niggle

Steve aka Jakeblu

Thanks. It's good to know I'm improving, I did try a few with the sun but I was getting too much flare and it was doing nothing for the image.

Great idea with the shadows and the sun behind the trees, I am a great fan of sunburst shots and I think you needed to show a hint of the sun bursting from behind the trees.

Lovely set,i like #1 & 3:)(y)

So here is the best image I have with the sun in shot, however as you can see it has suffered some less than pleasing flare. I only have LR4 and I've never used Photoshop. Could this flare be removed or is it too much?

2013_11_10StewartPark052
by Tunbridge Wells, on Flickr

Nice stuff Stephen and the flare could be removed.

Stephen thats better(y)

Yeah really pleased with the end result, thanks to everyone who gave advice - appreciated as always (y)

Back