Critique Sunset over Assynt from Cùl Mòr

Name
Alastair
Edit My Images
Yes
We ended up in Assynt for a day last week due to the weather being worse further south. At the end of the walk we got an unexpected sunset as the setting sun found a break in the clouds and illuminated Suilven, Quinag and Cansip.

1# - Sunset over Suilven

Sunset over Suilven
by Alastair Begley, on Flickr

2# - Panorama of the sunset over Suilven, Quinag and Canisp

Sunset over Suilven, Quinag and Canisp

3# - Stunning light on the ascent

Stunning light on the ascent of Cùl Mòr

thank you for looking and I would greatly appreciate any critique.

Al

We ended up in Assynt for a day last week due to the weather being worse further south. At the end of the walk we got an unexpected sunset as the setting sun found a break in the clouds and illuminated Suilven, Quinag and Cansip.

1# - Sunset over Suilven

Sunset over Suilven

2# - Panorama of the sunset over Suilven, Quinag and Canisp

Sunset over Suilven, Quinag and Canisp

3# - Stunning light on the ascent

Stunning light on the ascent of Cùl Mòr

thank you for looking and I would greatly appreciate any critique.

Al
Like them all, but I love the crepuscular rays in the last one. Personally I would crop off a bit from the bottom, but it’s your photo not mine. :)

Nice ones. It looks like it was a great day! The foreground in 1 and 3 don’t contribute much to the image. I would have either tried to exclude them with your composition or found something interesting to include. But depends what lenses you have at your disposal!

Good photos, but I agree that the dark foreground isn't really helping the first one. I don't know if it would help to recover the shadow, but again that's only a personal opinion.

For me it’s two. Whilst one is great the dark foreground just pulls my eye slightly. It’s a good image but the pano is a great one.

The last I wouldn’t have pulled my camera out it’s bag for. Sorry.

Amazing how we all see things differently. Number one I agree with Steve that it needs cropping at the bottom other than that it's my favorite of the set. Number two just needs printing as is, a great shot. Unlike Steve I do like number 3 although once again I'd crop the bottom of it. Some lovely light that day, well worth a trip out.

Like them all, but I love the crepuscular rays in the last one. Personally I would crop off a bit from the bottom, but it’s your photo not mine. :)
thank you for the comments, I took a bit off but maybe should have taken some more off the bottom.

Nice ones. It looks like it was a great day! The foreground in 1 and 3 don’t contribute much to the image. I would have either tried to exclude them with your composition or found something interesting to include. But depends what lenses you have at your disposal!
It was a lovely day, there was cloud for most of it so wasn't that interesting photographically, but the views were spectacular. I love the north west! Maybe I should have done another pano for #3 as the foreground was just not that interesting (well not that I could find anyway...)
Good photos, but I agree that the dark foreground isn't really helping the first one. I don't know if it would help to recover the shadow, but again that's only a personal opinion.
thanks for the feedback, will try and eliminate dark foregrounds in the future.
For me it’s two. Whilst one is great the dark foreground just pulls my eye slightly. It’s a good image but the pano is a great one.

The last I wouldn’t have pulled my camera out it’s bag for. Sorry.
No worries, thanks for the honest feedback. Just shows how subjective photography can be.
Amazing how we all see things differently. Number one I agree with Steve that it needs cropping at the bottom other than that it's my favorite of the set. Number two just needs printing as is, a great shot. Unlike Steve I do like number 3 although once again I'd crop the bottom of it. Some lovely light that day, well worth a trip out.
thanks for the feedback. We both love the north west so I guess it might end up being printed and going on our wall. Just a shame there was no snow!

Back