Sunset over Doxey Pool in the Roaches

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
This is a location I've been wanting to visit for ages. Finally figured out roughly where it was using ordnance survey maps and decided to go and find it last night as I felt a nice sunset may be on the cards !

This is the highest pool in the district, is supposedly bottomless, has a resident mermaid and the ghostly figure of a woman haunts the area around it !

I deliberately underexposed all of these and then brought detail in the shadow area's back using PP to achieve the look that I was after. Because the first 3 are processed to be dark, they do look better when viewed large, which you can do by clicking on the images. Thanks, hope you enjoy them, and if not, feel free to say why !

Sigma 10-22 @ 10mm / f.22 / 8 seconds / ND8 Grad

Sigma 10-22 @ 10mm / f.22 / 1.6 seconds / ND8 Grad

Sigma 18-125 @ 18mm / f.11 / 4 seconds / ND8 Grad

4. (HDR Version)

5. Also caught a nice silhouette of my daughter standing on the peak of one of the outcrops of rock.

Sigma 18-125 @ 48mm / f.13 / 1/320
(One of the reasons I enjoy photography is I get to spend 'alone' time with my daughter as she loves it too, although apparently, she prefers photographing animals as opposed to 'muddy pools at the top of a mountain' !):bonk:

Thanks for all of the kind words :)

is it easy to get too or will my crippled old bones regret it?
It's a good climb to get up there the way we went, although there may an easier way that I don't know about ...........

Another great set I often look in most nights on the landscape picks but the standard this evening is above and beond well done.

Thanks to everyone for looking and all of the encouraging comments :)

Some stunning scenes there!

I've looked at the large versions too. puzzles me a bit why the image quality (on the first two particularly) is quite poor. these would have been so good if they had sharp detail.

Hmm, may have been the processing Robert. They will certainly stand up to a little more sharpening, but they looked ok to me to be honest mate, unless I don't understand what you mean ! Can you elaborate a little in case I have a problem at my end that I can't see ?

Cheers.

I think is very nice even though it's HDR (I never thought I would say that!)
haha, Thanks hillwalkinggirl, HDR is not always the big nasty monster it's portrayed to be !

very nice shots Macker
Thanks Steve (y)

They look noisey and a bit soft focus.

This is a crop taken from the large version of the first one. There is noise and some horizontal banding visible.

2565392441_6f263a7722_o.jpg

Technical issues that still don't really detract much from some great images... but I seem to notice them.

Ah, yes, I see what you mean on the large clump of grasses. It doesn't appear to be there on the original file though so must be a result of the processing and subsequent compression to jpeg. Bit wierd though, thanks for pointing it out, I'll do a couple more from the same set and see if happens with those (y)

#1 is the winner for me with the silhouette a close second.

It's the strongest compositionally with a nice lead in and reflections. The foreground in the others doesn't really do much for me I'm afraid as it's a bit cluttered and kinda takes your eye away from the sunset. not that they're rubbish mind you. Just #1 is the best!

Thanks Misty & Ghandi (y)

There is noise and some horizontal banding visible
It was definitely the processing that led to the banding. Processed another one slightly differently and it doesn't appear to suffer the same problems, something to check for in the future, thanks Robert (y)

Back