'Super compact, Canon S95 or Lumix LX5

Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I'm looking for a compact camera that I won't be disappointed with. Since I bought a DSLR (Canon 500D) I can't be bothered using a compact because I know I'll be hugely disappointed.

I had an IXUS 90IS which was a decent enough compact but I was never happy with it after using the 500D.

I'm looking at getting either the Canon S95 or the Panasonic LX5. The Panasonic looks more serious but the Canon is smaller. It's for days out or nights out/meals where I want a pocketable camera to capture the moment the best I can.

I've considered the Canon G12 but I think it's probably too bulky for the purposes mentioned.

Any advice or recommendations, even other cameras?

Thanks Colin

Think you'd have to consider the Olympus XZ-1 as well.

The Canon is far more "pocketable", if that's what you want. For me, that's shirt or jeans pocket, not big outdoor jacket pocket. I used an S90 briefly and would have bought it, but ended up with a Panasonic TZ9 because my wife wanted a travel camera with more zoom range. The TZ9 is OK, but I'd still prefer the S90/95.

My only issue with the S95 is that, although it looks great, it doesn't look as serious as some of the others it's compared with. I can't help but feeling it can't be as good as the LX5 or G12 for IQ and generally quality, BUT, all the reviews seem to suggest it is.

My ideal would have been the G12 but its not 'pocketable' enough. I do like the idea of sticking with Canon, but the LX5 has the 24mm rather than 28mm.....aaarrrgggghh, I hate decisions! :)

The S95 is excellent for low light if you're taking pics in bars and restaurants etc, is absolutely tiny and has some cool play modes such as faux tilt shift and fisheye.

I have a S95 and to be fair its a good little camera, decent video as well, and ideal for putting in pocket. However, as I use a D300 and either a prime or 2.8 glass, I always unfairly compare the 2 and the s95 is nowhere near as good. Depending on the lenses you use you may be disappointed too. If you just have a kit lens then the difference is not so great. The biggest thing with me as I shoot kids a lot, is the shutter lag compared to my D300 - very slow.

So, if you will be comparing results from DSLR then whatever you buy will be a bit of a let down, but if you look at the S95 for what it is (a small camera) it is very good.

Damn it! I've just looked into the Olympus ZX-1 and it sounds amazing.... That's another one to add to the list. If it had 24 mm wide angle I'd buy it now, and off the spec and reviews I still might.

Anybody tried one out?

I recently upgraded from S90 to S95. Both great compacts with a host of features.

I've got a S95, great little camera, lots of features and fits nicely in the pocket.

With regards to IQ between S95 and G12, I understand they have the same sensor...

Another vote for the S95, read all the reviews its a great little camera and fits easily into your pocket, takes great pictures too.

I think the LX5 is less pocketable than a G-series Canon and S95 is in a class of it's own in terms of size. I have the Leica D-Lux 4 (same hardware as Panny LX3) and it's so close in size to my GF1+20mm that it's not really getting any use. I also have a S95 and G9.. :confused:

For your use, I'd pick the S95 over the G12 due to size and f/2.0 lens. The LX5 is probably great but it needs a belt case or something to tag along effortlessly. I've been lugging the D-Lux4 along in it's Leica leather case and especially when attached to my belt it's been very comfy to keep with me and has been through some rough crowds in bars as well :)

No experience with the XZ-1..

vaizki said:
I think the LX5 is less pocketable than a G-series Canon and S95 is in a class of it's own in terms of size. I have the Leica D-Lux 4 (same hardware as Panny LX3) and it's so close in size to my GF1+20mm that it's not really getting any use. I also have a S95 and G9.. :confused:

For your use, I'd pick the S95 over the G12 due to size and f/2.0 lens. The LX5 is probably great but it needs a belt case or something to tag along effortlessly. I've been lugging the D-Lux4 along in it's Leica leather case and especially when attached to my belt it's been very comfy to keep with me and has been through some rough crowds in bars as well :)

No experience with the XZ-1..

I don't understand how the LX5 would be less pocketable than a G series canon, it's much smaller. I accept that the S95 is smaller still, but the LX5 significantly smaller than a Canon G12.

My problem with the S95 is the f2.0-4.9 compared with f2.0-3.5 of LX5 and f1.8-2.5 of the XZ-1. Plus the LX5 is wider at 24mm.

The S95 does have the big advantage of being truly 'pocketable'.

I think the LX5 is less pocketable...

The LX5 is probably great but it needs a belt case or something to tag along effortlessly...
I think that the problem is that we've been spoilt by very very small digital compacts which are much smaller than the film cameras we had years ago, or still have. My LX5 fits exactly into my 35mm compact film camera soft case which fits nicely into my lightest jackets pocket, I therefore feel that I can't complain :)

One thing with the very small compacts though is image quality. I have two and they really can't compare to the LX type camera image quality. I suppose the S95 could offer the best of both worlds if the image quality can hold up.

The XZ-1 is nice, but the lens cap freaks me out; it's meant to pop off when you switch the camera on in a hurry and so should be tethered (the LX5 just grumps until you take the cap off). However, I'm waiting to find that the thing has fallen off. So far it hasn't.

This little feature wasn't demo'ed in the shop! Still prefer it to the LX5 though.

I went Lx5 for the wider and faster lens....

It really does deliver excellent IQ and is a joy to use...

You can also drop it down to 4mp and get a 7 x zoom which is great for web etc...

A few LX5 threads exist...

I had a hold and play with the Olympus XZ-1 yesterday and I must admit, it felt special. I've not had a real play with the LX5 but have held it and it's got to be the XZ-1 for me. The ring dial on the lens is fantastic to use and it all just feels top quality.

f=1.8-2.5 on the XZ-1 and f=2.0-3.3 on the LX5.
35mm equivalents are 28-112mm and 24-90mm respectively.

You pays your money, etc. In my case, the3 LX5 went on eBay in favour of the XZ-1 during a bad attack of GAS. But I perhaps should have resisted - both cameras are a joy to use.

Both my National Panasonic FM radio and OM10 work after 30 years, by the way.

I've just had a thought... Does the LX5 have point/area focus where you choose which area of the shot the focus is on?

I know the XZ-1 does but I can't see any mention of it on reviews?

I've just had a thought... Does the LX5 have point/area focus where you choose which area of the shot the focus is on?

I know the XZ-1 does but I can't see any mention of it on reviews?

LX5 has a focus button and when you press it you can move the focus point around the screen.

woof woof said:
LX5 has a focus button and when you press it you can move the focus point around the screen.

Perfect.

I bought the LX5 yesterday and I love it! Thanks for all the advice. :)

Back