Super zoom compact

I think the Panasonic TZ100 has had good reviews and IIRC some TP members have it?

I have a TZ100 and of course Sony do their own RX100 range. I went for the Panasonic rather than the Sony for the longer zoom range and also because the Panasonic has a fixed evf whereas the Sony one pops up and down.

There's a little used TZ100 thread here...

I think a 1" compact is the way to go if the user is likely to pixel peep.

I have been using both a Panasonic TZ70 and a Sony HX90 for several years.

These both offer equivalent focal lengths of 24~700mm and the main difference is that the Sony has a tilting screen and is slightly smaller but the Panasonic seems more robust and slightly quicker to use. Both drop easily into a jacket pocket or a trouser pocket if not too tight.

My wife uses a later model Panasonic TZ90, which has a tilting screen.

Cameras Sony HX90 and Panasonic TZ70 DSC01601.JPG

A sample picture from the Sony...

Small bird on branch HX90 DSC00413.JPG

...and a sample picture from the Panasonic...

Pigeons kissing in silhouette TZ70 P1030357.JPG

Very pleased with my Sony RX100 v1 (y)

I use a Panasonic TZ60 as my compact (It is the same as the TZ70, but the TZ60 has a higher resolution sensor)
Unless going for a larger sensor (then you lose zoom range), it has just about all the later ones have and gives excellent results.

I have an LX15 in the classifieds at the moment if that would be of any use

I have a Panny TZ100 and a Sony RX100vi. Haven't used the Panny since I got a Sony RX100ii which has since been upgraded to the vi. Yes, the Panny has greater reach but IMO and E, the Sony gives better results.

What qualifies as a 'super-zoom' ?

What range are we talking?

I have a Canon G5 X (mark I) which I love. Bought SH from MPB for £300 and some change.

That's the equivalent of 24mm to 100mm. Plus it's f/1.8 to 2.8 throughout the range.

I went for that over and above any of the Sony RX100 versions as it had the hot shoe for external flash. I already had Canons and I'd heard the Sonys had weird menus. (As it happens I now also have an RX10 and don't find it a problem.)

Here's a link to my G5 album. Hopefully it won't put you off.

Last edited:
What qualifies as a 'super-zoom' ?

What range are we talking?

I have a Canon G5 X (mark I) which I love. Bought SH from MPB for £300 and some change.

That's the equivalent of 24mm to 100mm. Plus it's f/1.8 to 2.8 throughout the range.

I went for that over and above any of the Sony RX100 versions as it had the hot shoe for external flash. I already had Canons and I'd heard the Sonys had weird menus. (As it happens I now also have an RX10 and don't find it a problem.)

Here's a link to my G5 album. Hopefully it won't put you off.

I would say a superzoom is a least 28-200 but more often longer. It's for my daughter not me, I shoot Sony A9's

I would say a superzoom is a least 28-200 but more often longer. It's for my daughter not me, I shoot Sony A9's
I wondered as some of the recommendations (mine included) don't have anything like that range.

Last edited:
Back