Beginner Surveillance Work

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Hi

I'm completely new to photography and I was wondering if someone would be able to help me out regarding a purchase of a new DSLR camera.

Firstly, it may be useful to know that the camera will be used for private surveillance work (fraud investigations, private investigations, Evidence gathering etc).

The camera (and any recommended lens) must be suitable for:

-Taking many photos per second to avoid missing a critical 'money shot'
-Ability to record HD video, ideally at a long distance without being shaken / blurred
-Excellent night shooting abilities
-A lens for long distance photography
-A lens for low light photography

The main areas of work will be: Daylight (distance) & Night time low lighting conditions.

The budget I have for the camera and lens together is only small which is where the limit lies- I am fully aware of this. I am looking for a camera below the £1000 mark to begin with. Obviously in time and with experience, I will look to buy a more capable camera. So, would anyone be able to recommend a camera / lens combination that would suit my needs?

Any links, recommendations or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I'd be looking a second hand camera, maybe a D7100 (crop body gives more reach for the same focal length) and a super tele lens, something like a used Sigma 50-500mm. Heavy yes, but lots of reach and within budget.

Good luck if this is a new venture... I had my own company doing this type of work for a couple of years, very challenging and getting that "money shot" is absolutely vital.

I would suggest that the lens is the more important factor than the actual camera. I tended to use something up to and around 300mm, but I know individuals who are using setups into the several thousand £££'s.

Depending on the situation, I'd also use a GoPro or similar that I could leave somewhere or fasten to a jacket/rucksack.. It removed the necessity to take photos as stills could be lifted from the GoPro itself.

For night time, I found video to be far more reliable than photographs... JMHO...

Reactions: ST4
Nikon P900.

24- 2000mm equivalent zoom in a small package.

Boom.

The DSLR and a massive zoom like that 50-500 is going to get a lot of people looking at you, and that is not what you want.

P.S. Good luck out there, very hard time to be moving into the Surveillance game...

Last edited:
Thank you all very much for your replies.

Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of a suitable entry level camera itself? As in name a model? I guess once I know what spec lens I need I can search for those separately.

As for the tips regarding surveillance work- thank you. I realise it's a difficult industry but this will be a secondary source of income to my main day job.

Nikon P900.

24- 2000mm equivalent zoom in a small package.

Boom.

The DSLR and a massive zoom like that 50-500 is going to get a lot of people looking at you, and that is not what you want.

P.S. Good luck out there, very hard time to be moving into the Surveillance game...

not to mention being easier to run with to avoid getting your head kicked in :LOL:

that said most compacts have a certain ammount of shutter lag and tend not to have a particularly fast burst (that said if you never need to print to more than A4 you could use jpeg small to increase you burst capacity)

Reactions: ST4
On the canon side I would be tempted to suggest something like a used 7D paired with the 70-300mm or the sigma lens mentioned before.

I handle about between 8/10 surveillance jobs a year, or used to before Leveson. Can't say I recal many, or any, that required stills - rather video.

Less likely to miss that money shot too...

I seem to recall hearing about Customs and Excise using a 300-800 f5.6 and a 2xTC to surviel a drug smugglers house once - I'm guessing they were further away than usual (to be honest i have to wonder why they didnt use a digiscoping option instead)

Thanks again for the responses.

It's interesting that you mention that most cases a capture of video surveillance was nearly always used instead of photographic evidence.

Would any of these DSLRs mentioned have the ability to record long HD videos?

Regarding the comments about being spotted with a large camera- lets just assume that won't be problem

Having worked in surveillance for over 15 years, video is the way forward not stills photography.

If necessary a still can be lifted from the vid.

Agree with Me2 above

Having worked in surveillance for over 15 years, video is the way forward not stills photography.

If necessary a still can be lifted from the vid.

Agree with Me2 above

always good to have an expert opinion (y)

what specific kit would you recomend ? I assume you are thinking of a dedicated digital video camera, not a DSLR with video capability

I have a 1Dx and 6d. Great cameras especially the Dx but for surveillance too bulky what with the lenses etc. Fine if your using a static OP where you are hidden and can set up your kit. If your work is going to be mobile and presumably covert, there are numerous digital VR's out there. I use Canon and Panasonic models, HD only and with the zoom I only ever use optical and not digital as the quality deteriates rapidly. I also use various HD capable key fob cameras. Fixed zoom on these but great for getting up close and the sound quality is good too.

I have a 1Dx and 6d. Great cameras especially the Dx but for surveillance too bulky what with the lenses etc. Fine if your using a static OP where you are hidden and can set up your kit. If your work is going to be mobile and presumably covert, there are numerous digital VR's out there. I use Canon and Panasonic models, HD only and with the zoom I only ever use optical and not digital as the quality deteriates rapidly. I also use various HD capable key fob cameras. Fixed zoom on these but great for getting up close and the sound quality is good too.

Nice , thanks (ive no intention of doing any survielance, but i'm writing a book so all knowledge is useful

I hope you haven't forgotten the most important bits of kit;

1. A trenchcoat, collar inverted.
2. A hat - Trilby or Fedora preferred.
3. A plethora of witty lines e.g.; "I was working on a case... I couldn't afford a desk"

Panasonic FZ1000 or GH4 with 100-300. 4K video and a long lens is what you need - 8MP stills and fast, fast operation from focus to shutter.

edit: unless your surveillance target is me, in which case an X100 or maybe a Mamiya large format.

Last edited:
I would have thought a phone would be good for covert - you can stand there with it in your hand putatively texting or dialing a number or playing candy crush, whilst actually taking stills or video

How do you go about getting surveillance work. I can see the appeal of the extra capital. Would I need a miss money penny

edit: unless your surveillance target is me, in which case an X100 or maybe a Mamiya large format.

Mamiya only went up to medium format. It would be fun to do large format surveillance whilst trying to remain hidden though.

Which reminds my of something I read a few years ago about a street photographer whose method of becoming invisible to the public was to wear a high visibility jacket and put his camera on a yellow surveyor's tripod. When you look like you are supposed to be there, people ignore you.

Steve.

Putting my 007 hat on how viable would a Quadcopter be with a GoPro mounted :runaway:

noisy things - plus you can't fly them in built up areas

Back