South-West England Swanage old pier

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys, I'm hoping for a little help / knowledge please for the above location.

Is it easy accessible to photograph the pier at sunrise / sunset, I've had a look on google and it looks like it's part of the new pier.? Any info will be greatly received

Cheers

Jason

Hi Jason, shot this a few times and you will find it to the right of the main pier literally a few feet after the entrance. Last time I had to pay at the booth or cabin just a minimal charge for the upkeep of the pier. Usually there is a launch tied to the main pier which I found obstructs the shot but can't be helped. Hope this helps

Hi Jason, it's a great place to visit and one of those photographic 'rights of passage' we all need to try. When I went (a few years back) there was a floating platform, several boats around and a huge number of buoys - if you can blank those out of your minds eye and get the composition and exposure right, as well as getting prepared to do a LOT of cloning, I'm sure you'll be delighted with your result.

I used a tripod, ND110 (10 stop filter), remote release, and switched off all the vibration reduction functions on the camera and ended up with this (and as already said, this result is after a LOT of cloning!!!)

And now, with experience, my eye tells me this is too dark and too green (and edited to say I can see the clone marks too!), so I must get down there again to have another go! :)

swanage 020-5 by Maria L, on Flickr

Last edited:
Maria, that looks lovely. The horizon blurs the sea into the sky well adding to the ethereal quality from the 10 stop filter.

Hi guys, I'm hoping for a little help / knowledge please for the above location.

Is it easy accessible to photograph the pier at sunrise / sunset, I've had a look on google and it looks like it's part of the new pier.? Any info will be greatly received

Cheers

Jason

Not easy to access at sunrise/sunset. The pier has limited opening times (check website) and will only be open outside of these times if there is a diving party on the pier, I believe.

The floating platform that gets in the way of any decent shot is usually only there in the summer. It was not there when I went a few weeks ago.

Untitled by Claire Hutton, on Flickr

Back