Beginner SWMBO wants a camera

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
the better half now wants something better then her point & shoot &phone camera
my D3100 and the sons 1300D
is too big for her as its been cold today (i must be getting old) I've spent all day looking at web sites

the one that stands out IMO for her is the Canon EOS M100 (she could use the lens of the sons 1300D ?? )
before I jump in and buy it, is there anything else I should look at (might of missed it)
she be taking photos of family the dog and holiday snaps
money to spend on camera £500

As a back up walk around summer rig I have recently bought a Canon EOS-M3 used body from wex 12 months warranty around £200 ,meike adaptor Amazon around £23 and a canon 55-250is STM lens brand new e.bay £112 or less used .a few pics from the rig on the eos thread ,click on pic to take you through to more shots on Flickr .so there ya go a decent lightweight set up that can be used with other family lenses for less than £350 .imho the m3 is far better than the m100

Take her to a shop and let her try some for size ;)

Size matter you know :D

I would stick with a system where you could share lenses. Jeff's idea of an EOS-M3 & converter sounds like good advice to me.

Had a similar problem with my son, who now has a Fuji, so he can have access to my lenses when he needs to.

As a back up walk around summer rig I have recently bought a Canon EOS-M3 used body from wex 12 months warranty around £200 ,meike adaptor Amazon around £23 and a canon 55-250is STM lens brand new e.bay £112 or less used .a few pics from the rig on the eos thread ,click on pic to take you through to more shots on Flickr .so there ya go a decent lightweight set up that can be used with other family lenses for less than £350 .imho the m3 is far better than the m100

thanks Jeff I'll look at the M3

TBH the 'obvious' suggestion is an M43 system with an Olympus E-M10. We bought one for my other half a year ago, and it's just a bit bigger than her Panny TZ compact. I can understand why you might want to go down the Canon route, but worth remembering that unless she is 'into' photography then it's unlikely she'll change lenses much if ever, so any advantage of remaining within a system disappears.

Last edited:
I suggested that Toni as John and hi# son have already bought into canon ,so common sense dictates there will already be some lenses and bits in house that can be changed around .

TBH the 'obvious' suggestion is an M43 system with an Olympus E-M10. We bought one for my other half a year ago, and it's just a bit bigger than her Panny TZ compact. I can understand why you might want to go down the Canon route, but worth remembering that unless she is 'into' photography then it's unlikely she'll change lenses much if ever, so any advantage of remaining within a system disappears.

Personally, if going outside of Canon, I would have suggested a used X-T1 and a lens or two - should be able to find that for £500. But, it makes sense to stick with Canon, as there is a pool of lenses already available.

LCE has a new M3 + 15-45MM IS STM for £369.99
Wilkinson cameras have the M100 EF-M 15-45mm for £449 (plus £50 at the till) so its off to the shop so she can try out the M100

am i right in that the 15-45mm IS STM lens is better then just the 15-45mm EF-M lens

Last edited:
just to up date went into Liverpool today the Mrs try a few out but in the end she went for the M3 in her words it feels nice in my hands ands it light
now the hard part is showing her how to use it, wish me luck ;)

just to up date went into Liverpool today the Mrs try a few out but in the end she went for the M3 in her words it feels nice in my hands ands it light
now the hard part is showing her how to use it, wish me luck ;)
I’m having great success with the m3 and 55-250is STM

Back