Swordjo's 52 Project for MMX: Week 2 in post 10

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Thought i'd give the 52 a bash this year as I found the 365 I started last year a little tough going with things that can happen in life!

Good luck to all those doing this (y)

Jonathan

Last edited:
Good luck to you! I found it tough going even doing a 52 last year, definitely trying again this year though! (y)

Found this one harder than I thought, as I felt like i'd be stealing other peoples ideas. Been snowed in for days too!

week1curve.jpg

or with a '300' LR action applied:

week1curvecopy.jpg

Not a great start I know, but i've got 51 weeks to improve.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan and welcome to the 52. It really is a great learning experience.

Curved sounded easier than it was didn't it? :LOL:
Well done for getting an original shot though (y)

I'm not too keen on the PP on the second one - I find it makes the shadows too harsh and I far prefer the warmer colours in the original.
Did you use on-camera flash for this? The lighting looks a little too harsh to me, I think it may have worked better in natural light from a window.

Really nice curve to his neck and I can see why you chose that as the focal point for the photograph, but I can't help feeling that it would have worked better with the focus on his face.

good start though and looking forward to the next 51.

Hi Jonathan a good start to the 52. An excellent curve there, I don't think, in this case, not having the face in focus is too much of an issue, although I can see Sarah's point. Looking at the two, I think I prefer the first one, not so keen on the PP on the second. I don't look at the other 52's until I have my shot, that way, even if everyone comes up with the same idea, I won't think I'm stealing it from them.

Thanks for the comments. The PP on the second is love/hate(most will hate :LOL:). I did have a few with the face in focus but felt my eyes were drawn to the face instead of the curve of the neck.

Looking forward until the next challenge now.

Maybe shooting further away from the wall as the shadows are very distracting. no#1 for me (y)

Agree that moving it further away from the wall would remove those nasty shadows and allow you to increase the dof slightly to get both the head and neck in focus. Nice curve and nice colours. Prefer the first image, that second preset needs to be used very sparingly :)

Week 2 Poem: Not too sure about this one yet and may change it if I have another idea.

Blood
tp52week2poem.jpg

I lie here broken, drenched in blood,
My life in pools, my soul a flood,
My heart is now my enemy,
With every beat, it's leaving me.

It hurts to breathe, it hurts to cry,
My heart is open to the sky,
Emptying my ruined shell,
Each beat, eternity in hell.

I pray for death, I want release,
To sleep for ever, rest in peace,
But drowning in my blood I stay,
I want release, for death I pray.

Blood as black as night emerges,
My heart my broken body purges,
I feel my life returning, healing,
With all the tragedy of feeling.​

Blood
tp52week2poem.jpg

I lie here broken, drenched in blood,
My life in pools, my soul a flood,
My heart is now my enemy,
With every beat, it's leaving me.

It hurts to breathe, it hurts to cry,
My heart is open to the sky,
Emptying my ruined shell,
Each beat, eternity in hell.

I pray for death, I want release,
To sleep for ever, rest in peace,
But drowning in my blood I stay,
I want release, for death I pray.

Blood as black as night emerges,
My heart my broken body purges,
I feel my life returning, healing,
With all the tragedy of feeling.​

Quoted in case you do change because that is very different to the ones I have seen so far and works really well :clap:

Thanks YV, the more I look at it the less I want to change it. I'll keep thinking of new ones just incase though.

Thanks YV, the more I look at it the less I want to change it. I'll keep thinking of new ones just incase though.

I really like it, similar idea to my own though so I would say that :D I think you got the lighting and DoF spot on for the image in the sense of focal plane.

Only thing, I couldn't tell what the object nearest to the lens is (well, until I read the poem itself). Just a nats too OOF for me.

Last edited:
It's a knife, I have a few with it a little more in focus but I felt it was a little OTT.

It's a knife, I have a few with it a little more in focus but I felt it was a little OTT.

Ahh fair enough. I realised what it was when I read the poem. in context it makes perfect sense. I suppose the idea is to read the poem and look at the image, see them both together rather than in isolation, and in that sense it works perfectly.

###edit
Hmm, been staring at this for a while now, the more I look at it the more it grows on me. Its a great image.

Last edited:
Thanks Squawk, if I hadn't posted the poem I probably would have have brought the knife into focus a little more.

Hi Jonathan

Week 1 Nice start simple with good colour, just a little more DOF to get the nose in focus for me.

Week 2 Great idea, foreground a bit distracting though too much going on.

hi,
sorry i missed your first post - very curvy and a nice intrepretion of the theme, maybe a different BG and the giraffe may have popped out more; just a thought.

poems/poetry.

I like this, very moving, very original, and as squawk has already mentioned the knife a little OOF, other than that it is good image.

please do not take this the wrong way - "do you want to talk". :LOL:

hi,
sorry i missed your first post - very curvy and a nice intrepretion of the theme, maybe a different BG and the giraffe may have popped out more; just a thought.

poems/poetry.

I like this, very moving, very original, and as squawk has already mentioned the knife a little OOF, other than that it is good image.

please do not take this the wrong way - "do you want to talk". :LOL:

The knife was meant to be OOF, I felt the image was too OTT with it in focus, i happy with it the way it is. I have 'better' photos of this setup but I felt this was the best to run along side the poem.

.... and no i dont need to talk :LOL:, this was just a random peom I found on the net which I thought would be easyish to portray in a pic.

Again thanks for the feedback from everyone.It may sound like i'm brushing off the C&C for the week 2 photo, but for me it wasn't about the perfect photo this week. More in keeping with the feel of the poem.(y)

Thanks Andy, I deffo don't like week 1 anymore. Things can only get better.

A moving poem, and a cracker of an image to go with it Jonathan. Excellent work, the OOF knife works for me, I can see what it is, but with the poem, and the fading of conciousness (Life) having it blurrier works well.

Ooooh that's very dark Jonathan . . . but in a good way.
I like dark and slightly disturbing :LOL:

but for me it wasn't about the perfect photo this week. More in keeping with the feel of the poem.(y)

I could comment on the DOF - I'm kind of in two minds about it, but I absolutely understand the sentiment above.
And I think you're right, as a stand alone photo it may have worked better with more focus on the knife, but in the context of the poem it's perfect as it is.
As John said, it conveys the sense of fading consciousness.

A very good week for you :clap:

Ahem... we're on week 7 now.

Oh I am sorry, I should have told the guy who crashed into me and smashed my arm to pieces that I had a 52 to do before he wrecked my car.:thumbsdown:

I'll get back into it once i can hold the cam properly.

Jonathan, that's nasty... hope you're fully recovered and fit soon

Back