Beginner Taken the plunge and need advise

Name
James
Edit My Images
No
I am new to photography using a canon EOS 2000D and only have the EF-S 18 - 55 lens. The past year I have been experimenting just with my iPhone and finally took the plunge to invest in a camera.
The thing is I’m into portraits, landscape, macro photography and want to experiment with all 3 so my question is with this in mind what lenses would people recommend that I could purchase that can help me in this venture. I can purchase more then 1 lens but don’t want to spend loads until I know which direction I want to go down.
Would appreciate any feedback

Shoot lots and lots of everything with what you have. It’ll help you decide what’s not working for you. Go from there.

Hi James, welcome to TP.

The kit lens is ok for landscape. For portrait and macro you could combine a single lens - I'd look for a macro lens around 70 to 90mm f2.8. That will allow you to use it wide open for out of focus backgrounds, and stopped down for macro work. Obviously you won't get the extremely shallow depth of field used for some portraits with this set up, but it will give you a chance to explore the area a little before deciding if you want to spend more.

I'd probably look for a used Tamron 85 or similar.

There are various ways of doing things. The kit lens will do a reasonable job of landscapes and at the longer end for portraits. A dedicated macro lens, say 100mm will also make a pretty good portrait lens, providing you've got enough room.

Alternatively a close up lens such as a Raynox 250 which clips onto the front of the kit lens will be a good starting point, sufficient to determine if you wish to go down that route. Cheap extension tubes from ebay with focus / communication connections can also be used.

Following up the direct message, these are designed to fit your camera & not need an adapter:

Last edited:
There are various ways of doing things. The kit lens will do a reasonable job of landscapes and at the longer end for portraits. A dedicated macro lens, say 100mm will also make a pretty good portrait lens, providing you've got enough room.

Alternatively a close up lens such as a Raynox 250 which clips onto the front of the kit lens will be a good starting point, sufficient to determine if you wish to go down that route. Cheap extension tubes from ebay with focus / communication connections can also be used.

The Raynox is a good recommendation for macro too.

Back