Taken the plunge

R

royo

Thanks to all those who replied when I posted about buying my first DSLR. I've taken the plunge and bought the Samsung GX 10 with 2 zoom lenses and through a contact paid a heap less than the advertised £699 I saw in John Lewis!

First thoughts after 3 days of ownership. It's big. It's heavy. It's solid. And it feels good in my smallish hands. Excellent layout of buttons and wheels and superb viewfinder. Picture quality looks very good in RAW and can be punched up in JPEG through menu settings.

It's not a beginners camera but that's OK as I know enough to make a start on it and I will fit in with the camera over time. At the price it certainly seems a good rival to Canon and Nikon. And the lenses supplied should be enough for 99% of the photos I take.

Again many thanks to Chouglez and others who replied. I'll post photos when I stop playing and use the thing in anger!

Excellent, hope you enjoy your new toy :D

And dont forget to share your experiences and photos with us (y)

C'mon royo, where are your pics?

Chouglez just got back to the forum. Had lots of boring work over these tow weeks.

You won't be surprised but my pics are crap. And it's not the fault of the camera but the idiot operating it. Seriously though I'm having to learn my new tool. It's not an extension of my eye yet. The biggest problem is my nose! It hits the four the four way pad that selects the autofocus point. I use my left eye and my hooter presses up against it. Back to manual focus I think and that's where I started 15 years ago with a Minolta x700. Real men don't eat quiche and they don't use autofocus.

Anyway, I'll upload a few pictures at the weekend. And thanks for the interest

Looking forward to your piccies royo whenever you are ready :)

Can I have some advice about uploading please. Resolution and size. I don't want to be silly and send a 50 meg TIFF!!!

Thanks

If you are uploading to the gallery, then the following rules apply (I think): 800 pixels along its longest edge and 160kb max file size. If they are hosted elsewhere, then the same pixel size applies, but there is no file size rule.

I think with panoramic-format pictures 1000 pixels wide is allowable.

One of the mods could confirm?

Back