Taking apart an Olympus Trip 35

Name
Laurence
Edit My Images
No
I recently acquired this camera for the sum of £16 and ran a roll through it. I was warned on here that the quality of some Trips could be iffy but I had to find out for myself.
Had them developed locally and scanned them myself. They were all covered with little white marks which I can only assume to be dust within the lens. The negs look clean.

There are a few threads on the web about taking these apart and I'm thinking of having a go just for the hell of it.
Would any of you bother or just throw it away?

Now, I may be wrong, but....

Wouldn't dust show as a dark speck?
I'm guessing this may be tiny holes in the curtain that are bleeding light to cause the white specks.

Maybe. :)

***Wouldn't dust show as a dark speck?***

Nah.... white specks.

If you re-wash the neg you can often eliminate them.

Dust in a lens never shows It is out of focus.

A trip has a metal shutter in the lens not a focal plane blind.

The dust in question, is either a processing problem or a dirty scanner.

What he said ^^^ Camera's a good 'un, you need to look at the processing stages somewhere.

What he said ^^^ Camera's a good 'un, you need to look at the processing stages somewhere.

I think I have to agree here, very nice trip.(y)

They are pretty easy to dismantle, I bought one at a car boot and had to dismantle it to fix a sticky aperture. Easy job with some small screwdrivers, just remember to mark where the lens is screwed in to, if you don't you may find the focus is off (like me :))

Sounds like hard water was used, did you use distilled water for developing or normal tap water?

If you need to get the white spots off the negs normally a wash in distilled water will clear them all off.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't develop them so I haven't a clue about the water except that the shop is within 2 miles of where I live and we probably share the same water supply.

When I've developed my own b&w films I haven't had that issue. I'll run the scanner through dishwasher though as that's probably the weakest link in the process.

The negs appear clean but I suppose a wash would do no harm. Once again thanks for the advice.

Funny, I took my trip out earlier and found a minuscule little dead bug stuck in between the lens elements.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't develop them so I haven't a clue about the water except that the shop is within 2 miles of where I live and we probably share the same water supply.

When I've developed my own b&w films I haven't had that issue. I'll run the scanner through dishwasher though as that's probably the weakest link in the process.

The negs appear clean but I suppose a wash would do no harm. Once again thanks for the advice.

The problem with white specks being caused with minilab machines, is that the machine is on all day, and is kept at 40c for long periods. The water supply in the machine is also held at this temperature, some of the water in the system is lost as vapour, concentrating any impurities and eventually small crystals form on films when heat-dried. I know a few years ago, the Agfa minilab technicians used to test the water supply as part of comissioning the machine, and basically anywhere with medium to hard water it was recommended to run the machine on distilled water. Of course this costs more than tap-water, and is one of the first things to go by the wayside when cost cutting is on the agenda - closely followed by less regular cleaning and chemical replenishment schedules.

Back