Tallinn Old Town, Estonia

Name
Reg
Edit My Images
Yes
These three shots were taken in Tallinn Old Town a couple of weeks ago. This was one of the ports visited on our Baltic cruise. Tallinn is a truly fabulous place with lots to see and some great architecture. The photos are straight from the camera with no post processing. Hope you enjoy them....

IMG_0436a.jpg

IMG_0437a.jpg

IMG_0438a.jpg

A good show of architecture here. Photographically speaking the first and last have blown skies and sunlit parts. The first also has a lot which is under exposed.
The second has half a head in it and the green to the right is distracting.
Fine for holiday memories though!

A good show of architecture here. Photographically speaking the first and last have blown skies and sunlit parts. The first also has a lot which is under exposed.
The second has half a head in it and the green to the right is distracting.
Fine for holiday memories though!

Thanks for the comments Jake. As I am relatively new to photography can you give me any tips as to where I went wrong with the first and last photos or guidance as to how I can improve them in Photoshop Elements please? I have taken on board your comments as to the second photo and removed my partners head and the green doors to the right!

Thanks for the comments Jake. As I am relatively new to photography can you give me any tips as to where I went wrong with the first and last photos or guidance as to how I can improve them in Photoshop Elements please? I have taken on board your comments as to the second photo and removed my partners head and the green doors to the right!

Hi Reg,

It is very hard to take this sort of photo in the height of the day, as the sun makes for very unflattering light. This over exposure happens when the cameras metering system can't cope with the extreme differences between the bright sky and the dark foreground and only meters for one of them, in this case it has metered for the foreground so that becomes correctly exposed but the sky then blows.
The best way to stop this is with a ND grad filter, which is dark one one side and transparent on the other. This then darkens the sky, so when you meter for the foreground the sky doesnt overexpose as its already darkened. A Cokin (beginner) set can be bought for around £50 on amazon, then you need an adaptor which is around £10.
Do you shoot in RAW format? If you do, you can expose for the sky pushed to the limit without clipping highlights (the flashing on your LCD) and recover this using Adobe Camera Raw on photoshop.
I don't use elements, but it can't be much different from the full version (you can get a trial of this from Adobe) so if you create a layer mask, and then you can work on only reducing the exposure on the sky, but sadly, as it is blown, even in RAW you can't recover it as all the details of the sky and clouds has been lost.

Sorry for the essay, I hope it helps in some way. If you're still unclear or need further help/explanation please let me know and I'd be more than happy to help you :)

Jake

P.S. I bought a magbook from Tesco like this one here for a fiver which helped me no end! I'm going later, and I'll get the exact name for you if they still have it.

Last edited:
Hi Jake,

Thank you for your reply and the advice/guidance - it is much appreciated as I am very new to taking 'proper' photographs as opposed to holiday snaps! I am still trying to get to grips with all the features of the Canon 600D and have not yet tried shooting in RAW. I do have the necessary software (provided by Canon) so will make a point of giving it a try. I will also look into the use of filters as you suggested. Thanks also for the suggestion about the magbook and for offering further assistance.

Cheers, Reg

Hi Reg, sorry they didn't have it last night, they did have an essential guide to outdoor photography, which looks like it will be of help, and explain in more depth what I've said above.

Jake

Hi Reg, sorry they didn't have it last night, they did have an essential guide to outdoor photography, which looks like it will be of help, and explain in more depth what I've said above.

Jake

Thanks Jake. We're out shopping later so will have a look for one or both! (y)

As Jake says, bright daylight makes it tough for these kinds of shots and his advice is good. One thing I would add is to be careful to avoid areas of dramatic contrast. All in shade or all in sun - 1 and 3 suffer from having a mixture. These dramatic contrasts are much easier to spot in a photo than at the time, because our eyes and brain working together deal with big differences in light levels much better than any camera does.

Life being what it is, I end up doing most of my outdoor photography during lunch time, at which time the light in this part of the world can be pretty harsh. I've discovered a few other little things that work for me. Probably the main one is that small things work better than bigger ones. By which I mean, wide angle scenes are fairly likely to end up washed out or with too much contrast. Small things - a door, the detail on a wall, a flower - tend to work out better. Try to find subjects or perspectives that are less affected by the harsh conditions.

Just my thoughts...

Back