Tamron SP 35mm f/1.4 Di USD vs Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM

Edit My Images
Yes
hi everyone I’m looking for a full frame Canon lens for Landscape , shots of family, holidays, band photography and maybe Astro but I’ve never tried that
reading threads on here and asking on here it looks like 35mm would be a good size to have would prefer a prime as the short zooms that have very good image quality are out of my budget
my maximum budget is the cost of the Tamron which is roughly £850 the Canon is roughly £400 will be looking at new , don’t want to spend more as it would not be my main lens and am retired now anyway so don’t have the spare money that I used to
am saving at the moment for the lens
I mostly shoot wildlife and macro but would like to have something wider for those odd occasions when a tele lens isn’t suitable
my main camera is the R5 but also have a 6D mk 2 but only use it as a second body
using the RF to EF adapter isn’t an issue as all my current lenses are EF anyway
the other lenses I have are 300 2.8 mk 2 , 70-200 F4 and 100 L macro
I would like to get a 35mm that’s at least as sharp as my current lenses as they are superb and have had them a long time the 70-200 since 2006 , for that reason I’m thinking that the Tamron would be the best option as apparently it’s a really sharp lens , the Canon is decent according to reviews but not quite as good , I think I would be disapointed with something that’s not as good as my current lenses
I just need a second opinion please that I’m making the right choice
:)

I recently upgraded from sigma to tamron 1.4. it's an absolutely insane lens, gotta be in top ten of sharpest ef lenses. On r6 you can just shoot this thing wide open and even on 50mp it is surprisingly good while improving slightly and becoming pin sharp in extreme corners between f2.8 and f4. Few lenses get there even by f8. AF is great

Don't waste time with sigma or canon versions.

You will want to update firmware asap if not already done. The only downside is this doesn't have in camera profiles so shooting video will have dark corners at 1.4 but other lenses look s*** at 1.4 to begin with. There is no noticeable distortion to speak of, only vignetting but that's nearly gone by 2.8

This actually puts 70-200mm to shame. All of EF ones. F4mk1 IS is very good at 70mm but drops of a little towards the long end. MK2 is kind really good but not prime good at 135 but gets worse to the ends and 70 is really dire. And 2.8 ii is really one for r6 exclusively. What a mess. I think I prefer MK1 from the lot because I tend to shoot a lot at wider end

Last edited:
Thanks appreciate the advice, so glad I asked it does sound like it’s an amazing lens
will now definitely go for the Tamron
I tend to keep my lenses for a long time if I’m happy with them , think I would regret getting the cheaper Canon RF lens
my 70-200 is the original F4 non IS , I did consider upgrading to the IS version but at the time heard mixed views on the IS version and to be honest for what I mainly use it for I don’t need IS anyway

my 70-200 is the original F4 non IS , I did consider upgrading to the IS version but at the time heard mixed views on the IS version and to be honest for what I mainly use it for I don’t need IS anyway
You could now upgrade to EF is for very little money if you wanted. It's not bad for sure, both seemed near identical back in the day. I think on 1ds2. So I keept the newer. You only the see the long end fall a bit short on the sides on 5ds and presumably r5 (and 5ds likes to miss focus with canon own lenses for some reason). 70mm is actually quite amazing for zoom, definitely puts 24-70 and 100 macro to shame at intended distances. I only keep 100 for closeup work only. I think the zoom is better long range for sure

Last edited:
I looked into more detail about the software update for the Tamron as you say it’s needed for R5 and 6 but the TAP-in Console for doing that isn’t too expensive and also available second hand so will get that too
will be getting the lens new though

I looked into more detail about the software update for the Tamron as you say it’s needed for R5 and 6 but the TAP-in Console for doing that isn’t too expensive and also available second hand so will get that too
will be getting the lens new though
You can use it without update but IBIS won't fucntion. Ideally you just pick it up with update. Confirm with the seller as required.

You will need console literally once, unless you fancy 70-200 G2 lens or expect another update but I wouldn't hold my breath. I sold mine the next day.

Oh yes that’s a good point , I will confirm with the seller that it’s a recent lens with the update, plan is to get it just after Christmas by then it should be a recent manufacture
Just had a look the 70-200 G2 does look good but we’ve just bought a new PC so the 35mm will be it for now :)

Have ordered the Tamron SP 35mm 1.4 from Park Cameras, have read on here that they have a good reputation and would have the Tamron 5 year warranty
it’s out of stock at the moment I’m guessing that lens is in high demand as it’s so good
I could have got it cheaper from an amazon third party but really didn’t fancy that, if a reputable grey seller like HDEW or Panamoz supplied it would have considered them but only other grey option was SLR hut
wanted to be sure that the firmware will be up to date as longlens has mentioned it needs an update for the R5 in body stabilisation to work with that lens
I have contacted Park cameras to confirm this :)

An update it’s still not in stock in the UK park cameras have been keeping me up to date but apparently there’s no word yet on when they will arrive from Japan
I’ll wait though will be worth it
Don’t want to go second hand for this lens as do want to be sure it’s got the latest firmware

Expected delivery date for the Tamron SP 35mm 1.4 is now end of May :(
was hoping to have it before the Focus Wales music festival but it can’t be helped
Park Cameras have been excellent in keeping me informed of what’s going on , will be worth waiting for , I guess demand must be high for this lens

Back