Taster from my Highland Trip

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
As some of you know i finally gave in and purchased some ND Grads then last week had a 1300 mile trip round the highlands. I am now shooting RAW - cheers Gary from Edinburgh your advice again has helped and it gives way more flexibility with PP'n! I also learned it takes 9 exposures per shot which i am finding very handy. I know i have been back a week but currently working through Digital Photo mags Photoshop lessons and holding off rather than my usual PP, post, then sit back and go erm:thinking:

Anyway here is a taster of what i have to offer..

1. Ardmair Point - North of Ullapool
afb4cc86.jpg

2. Pass of Cattle Applecross
31097fff.jpg

3. Portree Bay
5187c7c4.jpg

4. Plockton Bay
623a2011.jpg

Thanks for looking and please let me know what you think ;)

Last edited:
I think that 3 looks like a very snap of a pleasant bay you visited but it's not firing me up as an image on it's own.

The last shot is very nice in my book. There are a few things on the finer points of the composition that I would have change if that was in my viewfinder but I really like it. The colour and texture of the foreground just nestling the boat, the other boat adding balance and then the whole lot served on a plate of sumptuous backdrop. What's not to love.

The second shot is also really lovely but quite understated and gets a ted lost in this company. I suspect that on it's own, against a dark page it would be much more than just lovely.

Then there is the first shot. Obviously quite a bit of processing has gone into that one and some very odd perspective has resulted. It almost looks as if the scale, or perhaps the perspective is changing as you go back through the frame. It's odd and kind of wrong but I do like it. It's compelling and really does hold my interest.

Looking forward to seeing some more. (y)

I think that 3 looks like a very snap of a pleasant bay you visited but it's not firing me up as an image on it's own.

The last shot is very nice in my book. There are a few things on the finer points of the composition that I would have change if that was in my viewfinder but I really like it. The colour and texture of the foreground just nestling the boat, the other boat adding balance and then the whole lot served on a plate of sumptuous backdrop. What's not to love.

The second shot is also really lovely but quite understated and gets a ted lost in this company. I suspect that on it's own, against a dark page it would be much more than just lovely.

Then there is the first shot. Obviously quite a bit of processing has gone into that one and some very odd perspective has resulted. It almost looks as if the scale, or perhaps the perspective is changing as you go back through the frame. It's odd and kind of wrong but I do like it. It's compelling and really does hold my interest.

Looking forward to seeing some more. (y)

Thanks for the comments.

I agree with most of what you say and i am really interested in your description of number 1, i have a major problem with the first shot in that i cant stop looking at it, i have done since i took and the many PP'n jobs i did on it before settling on this version. I dont think it is anywhere near correct on a technical or any photography point of view but i think it is just one of them Digital Art type captures that somehow make you stare at it. 3 completely agree very nice bay but the shot came out so sharp and the colours pop out making it worth a post. 4 would have been the most correct of them all but as you say i messed up the compostion a little, wish i had at least of framed the entire mast and had the horizon at the top 3rd. Finally the Pass, kicking myself i didnt walk back over the last sumit and capture the views which by the way looked awesome in the rear view mirror on way up.

but as you say i messed up the compostion a little

I would never say messed up when it comes to composition. ;) it's all down to beholder in my book. The thing that stood out to me that I would have tackled differently would be to swing the camera left a tad to get all of the buildings in. There's a tad of room on the right edge before you'd clip the first boat but if the building doesn't stop there, it's a no go anyway

not so sure about 1, the colour of the sky is telling my brain that the sea should be more red or something along that lines?
3 and 4 look great

Agree with comments on 3, but the others are really good.
No1 is esp. good IMO.

not so sure about 1, the colour of the sky is telling my brain that the sea should be more red or something along that lines?
3 and 4 look great

Agree with comments on 3, but the others are really good.
No1 is esp. good IMO.

Thanks for the comments, Im really not sure what it is about the first shot but obviously something about it seems to work.

Back