Tawny Owl asleep the side of road

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Driving along the Craven Arms to Morville road today and saw this owl asleep in a tree right by the road, turned round and pulled up on opposite side of road on snow verge ( used to be grass ) and managed to only get 3 shots, this was the best one. The owl would have probably stopped longer but another car passed me and made a lot of noisw driving through the slush in the middle of road and woke it up :(

Wow- great capture! More proof that you should always carry your camera with you at all times!

Well spotted.

Despite hearing them - I'm still trying to spot the Tawny Owls in the trees at the end of the garden.

agree great spot and capture :clap:

Its very unusual to find a tawny out in the daylight hours, just shows how the adverse weather is effecting our wildlife, its going to be tough for those preditors who generally rely on mice / voles and other small mammals as thier main food source. Looks like they may take a hit this year, one way nature has of contolling numbers, many preditors have been doing well for the last 10-15 years with fairly mild winters so numbers have increased.

Many thanks for all the kind comments, much appreciated, here's the first image just before he woke up :) On the same road I also passed 7 Buzzards but they didn't give me the same opportunity to take any photos of them, as daft as it sounds I would rather have had a Buzzard shot but should get a chance sooner or later. ( I hope this doesn't sound ungratefull).This is the first Tawny I have ever seen so close to the road and will probably never happen to me again.

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

Great capture. Beautiful owls indeed!

Its very unusual to find a tawny out in the daylight hours, just shows how the adverse weather is effecting our wildlife, its going to be tough for those preditors who generally rely on mice / voles and other small mammals as thier main food source. Looks like they may take a hit this year, one way nature has of contolling numbers, many preditors have been doing well for the last 10-15 years with fairly mild winters so numbers have increased.

Completely agree, if the kingfishers struggled last year, it's going to be even harder for them this year!!

Thanks all, it's amazing how things turn out, the day before we were off roading around the Long Mynd and the condititions changed so quickly and the land rover in front hit ice and skidded so we had to leave the vehicles overnight and recover them the next day.
If what happened on the way down into Church Stretton did not happen I wouldn't have been traveling along the Craven Arms - Morville road on the Sunday and would not have seen the owl.

Here's the link to my Facebook photos of the incident
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...8&l=67a704476d
If it will not let you view them let me know and I'll add you as a friend.

Back