teatime shot

Edit My Images
Yes
sat having tea tonight , when my eldest daughter shouts "look daddy the tree's lighting up!"

sure enough through the black clouds that had been looming a ray of sun was illuminating the silver birch at the bottom of the garden , I grabbed the camera and took a quick shot , sadly it doen't look quite so dramatic as the real thing , but i'm quite pleased for a spur of the moment thing

silverbirch.jpg

any better ?

birch2.jpg

Last edited:
Great light and a lovely tree. I'm sure that with a bit of fiddling on PhotoShop you'll get a fantastic shot out of that.

and I know what you mean about images not coming up to the real view. There is a factory across the road from my office and they store large steel tubes in the grounds. In some light they look totally spectacular, but the photos I take of them look very ordinary.

Great light and a lovely tree. I'm sure that with a bit of fiddling on PhotoShop you'll get a fantastic shot out of that.

:agree:

Just had a quick go in PS and with tweaking the levels you can get it to glow (y)

and I know what you mean about images not coming up to the real view. There is a factory across the road from my office and they store large steel tubes in the grounds. In some light they look totally spectacular, but the photos I take of them look very ordinary.

thanks for that :)

glad its not just me who thinks like this

Had a quick tinker just to show you how you can bring some of the light into the picture.... trouble is, I don't know what kind of a light it was that you saw, as it often takes on a different cast when it's overcast. I opted to make the silver birch more "silver birchy" if you know what I mean :LOL:

Using Photoshop...
First I duplicated the background layer
Then I just applied the "auto levels" to the background layer
Then I made the duplicate layer the current one and applied a layer mask.
Then selected a large soft edged brush at 5% opacity, made sure the brush colour was on black and simply brushed onto the duplicate layer mask to start revealing the "auto levels" layer behind until I was happy with it. Remember if you change the brush colour to white, you can reverse the effect if you go too far.
Then I just flattened the layers and that's it.
If I had more time I'd have been a bit more careful when applying the brush to the tree. As it is I've lightened some of the sky behind the tree which shouldn't be but it'll hopefully show the principle of how it works.

I was going to play with the image as a whole but the sky on the left hand side is a bit shot and shows up more if you do anything with it (other than start cloning it and what have you)...

Have a play, with a bit of time you can get some good results :)

Annnnnnnyway, apologies if my instructions are a bit vague but tutorials aren't really my thing :D Oh, and apologies if I've totally misinterpreted the scene and ruined your photo :D

3422312494_932f5de5d4_o.jpg

Had a quick tinker just to show you how you can bring some of the light into the picture.... trouble is, I don't know what kind of a light it was that you saw, as it often takes on a different cast when it's overcast. I opted to make the silver birch more "silver birchy" if you know what I mean :LOL:

Using Photoshop...
First I duplicated the background layer
Then I just applied the "auto levels" to the background layer
Then I made the duplicate layer the current one and applied a layer mask.
Then selected a large soft edged brush at 5% opacity, made sure the brush colour was on black and simply brushed onto the duplicate layer mask to start revealing the "auto levels" layer behind until I was happy with it. Remember if you change the brush colour to white, you can reverse the effect if you go too far.
Then I just flattened the layers and that's it.
If I had more time I'd have been a bit more careful when applying the brush to the tree. As it is I've lightened some of the sky behind the tree which shouldn't be but it'll hopefully show the principle of how it works.

I was going to play with the image as a whole but the sky on the left hand side is a bit shot and shows up more if you do anything with it (other than start cloning it and what have you)...

Have a play, with a bit of time you can get some good results :)

Annnnnnnyway, apologies if my instructions are a bit vague but tutorials aren't really my thing :D Oh, and apologies if I've totally misinterpreted the scene and ruined your photo :D

3422312494_932f5de5d4_o.jpg

I really like what you've done , a lot !

also a massive thanks for taking the time to type and explain what you've done

brilliant

I really like what you've done , a lot !

also a massive thanks for taking the time to type and explain what you've done

brilliant

My pleasure, glad you like it :)

Back