Technical help required ASAP PLEASE!!

Edit My Images
No
Hi there.

My dad has just phoned me to tell me he is having trouble with his computer.

After a quick connection via MSN Remote Application .. he appears to have picked up some virus which has knocked out his user admin privilleges. In other words, he can't access control panel.

It also means system restore is invalid - so that's not an option either!.

There is only one other account on the computer (WIN XP) which is also not now operating as an admin account. Is there anyway we can restore this or is it a reformat job?

Cheers.

ANTH

PS - it appears the virus was called CROUPER if that helps you tecchy people.

Something similar happened to me a while ago, I can no longer access the Task Manager on my machine at home, I get a message saying that I am not an administrator??? Even though the machine only has one account on - and that's mine. It used to work ok but for some reason it no longer does.?????

Righty - update ....

Managed to get the machine in a 'workable' condition.

I think I have got the name of the virus slightly wrong - but it was deffo something like Crouper or Craper - can't remember - it was some worm thing.

Anyway, my dad is happy enough at the mo - as he can grab his emails and both AVG and ADAWARE are reporting a clean system. He still however cannot access control panel - so not sure what has happened.

I am up in the north east again in a fortnight, so said I will do a reformat / restore job then - if he can manage as it is for now.

So be warned -- if you're in the toon and you hear a loud bang, followed by a bloke ranting , raving and chucking a computer out the window - say hi to my dad for me ;)

Cheers for the advice and pointers!!!

Anth.

:bang: I know how he feels, there was very nearly a laptop making an impromptu flight through a window a couple of hours ago....it just stopped! Wouldnt boot up, nothing. Press the button, fans kicked in, HD lcds illuminated, then nada, it all turned off again :shrug:

So, took the back off, cleared crap from fans etc, took out and put back in the extra RAM, still nothing. Removed ram altogether [leaving original of course], nope nothing. By this point, that flight is a mere whisker away. However, gritted teeth, put it to one side, and had a ponder.... ok, I am thinking, it snot even getting as far as BIOS checks,... sooo, either the motherboard has blown or the processor...hmmm...

strips back off again, removes fans, heatsinks, etc, got down to the heart of the matter...bloody processor was slightly unseated, the twist screw that locks it in place had worked round to the unlocked position... tightened it back up, loosely bolted it back together, and tested...YEAH!! all booting up!! Phew! so then half an hour cleaning the heatsink and some new paste, screwed it back together and I am back....but that was very very close! :bonk:

Back