Beginner Teleconverter.

Name
Roy Newport
Edit My Images
No
Can anyone tell me what a 1-4 canon converter will be like on a 2.8 70-200 l lens regards picture quality?many thanks.

On a 70-200 f2.8 a 1.4 teleconverter should be fine if it's anything like they are on nikon. As long as you are using on of the latest models there shouldn't be much difference compared to without it. You will lose a stop of light so it becomes 100-280mm f4.

Someone who knows canon will be along soon with exact model details. Is your 70-200 an IS mark 1 or 2 or non IS model?

Last edited:
Thank you,70-200 mkii is,I shall be using it on my 5dmkiii and my 7dmkii what will it become on my 7d?

Thank you,70-200 mkii is,I shall be using it on my 5dmkiii and my 7dmkii what will it become on my 7d?
The 7d2 is a 1.6 crop (I think) so it becomes 70-200 x 1.4 x 1.6 = 160-448mm (equivalent field of view).

It's probably best to use the latest teleconverter model that's compatible with the lens and check compatibility on the canon website. The latest teleconverter model will likely give the best image quality.

Also read the manual as I think with canon there is a specific method in connecting the teleconverter. I think it's lens first then teleconverter/lens to camera second.

I often use a 1.4 teleconverter on my nikon 70-200 vr2, I don't have any problems and IQ is still very good.

Last edited:
Back