Teleconverters (Nikon) - Help required.

Messiah Khan

Santa is your dad
Name
Alasdair Fowler
Edit My Images
Yes
Right, as per my other thread I have now purchased a Sigma 300mm f2.8 HSM to go on my Nikon D40X. The main purpose of this lens is to achive a super telephoto setup for bird photography and wildlife in general. Now although im sure the 300mm will be a superb lens when it arrives, I don't believe it will have enough reach for my needs. So im going to get a teleconverter to increase the options of focal length I have.

Now this is where you lot come in.. Which teleconverter to go for? As far as I can tell, the options are;

Kenko 300Pro 1.4X ~£99
Kenko 300Pro 2X ~£109
Kenko 300Pro 3X ~£119

Nikon TC-14E II 1.4x ~£229
Nikon TC-17E II 1.7x ~£259
Nikon TC-20E II 2x ~£229

Sigma 1.4X EX DG APO ~£119
Sigma 2X EX DG APO ~£139

And then some Tamron ones (Which I believe are simply rebranded Kenkos)

I think im going to rule out the Nikon ones due to cost. Which leaves Kenko or Sigma. A few people have suggsted going with Sigma as it would be optically paired with a Sigma lens, but from what I can tell, they aren't hugely compatbile. According to their own compatiblility table i'll be able to get full AF on the 300mm f2.8 on a 1.4X and 2X, but many other lenses will be fully MF. Is this right in peoples experience? Why is this the case?

The other option is the Kenko ones (Which im leaning towards) as they seem compatible with a huge range of lenses, not only AF-S/AF-I/HSM but also mechanical focus lenses if I end up going down this path in the future. Anyone got any experiences or comments on these? What is the optical quility like?

And finally what size to go with? From what everyone says, I think the 3X can safely be ruled out (Although a 900mm sounds tempting:D) 1.4X will result in the best IQ, but im not sure if it will satisfy my thirst for reach. Will a 2X degrade the IQ too much? Bird photographers (CT, Busterboy, Dougdarter, Ven) what are your experiences with teleconverters? What do you find yourself using the most?

Thanks for any comments, suggestions and help.:)

I'm also very interested in views & opinions as I'm in the same position right now with my Sigma 70-200 2.8 & D80.
Thanks in advance...Phil

If I were you I would go to somewhere like:
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Kea-Photo_Kenko-Teleconverters_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ11QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Then you could get the 1.4 and the 2x for more or less the same price as you would pay for just one of them in the UK. Should be with you in 3 days too. Excellent company - I get all my stuff from Albert over at Kea-Photo

EDIT: I don't use tele's myself so can't comment on compatibility etc.

Thanks for the Suggestion Brains. That really is a good price, although the postage costs would ramp them up somewhat. I think ive used Kea-Photo before as well. Do you know if you pay the postage for both if you buy them together? I presume you do.

I have heard that the kenko TCs are very good especially when the cost is taken into consideration. For the price it would seem sensible to go for one of them and then if you think you need extra image quality you could upgrade to a nikon or sigma TC.

I'm thinking of doing the same myself when I eventually get around to purchasing the 70-200 VR as I would like to have a go at some bird and wildlife photography. I imagine it would be very relaxing and a nice break from my more social photography.

Sigma lens - Sigma TC - No question !

You may find some Nikon Teleconverters a bit tricky..... they can be even tricky with Nikon's own lenses. Mechanically challengeing, not optically.

Sigma for Sigma..... be safe.

But why should I get a Sigma other than it being by the same manufacturer? Has anyone tried both Kenko and Sigma? Whats the quality like on both? The think thats putting me off the Sigmas is that by their own compatiblity chart, there are a load of lenses that won't work with AF.

My guess is that the lenses they are not compatible with are 'slow' lenses which compromises the AF sensors. If you're starting with f5.6 (which is about the slowest AF usually works with) any additional light loss will make the AF function questionable.

I've not looked at the chart though..... :shrug:

I've used a Kenko converter and it worked OK on 80-400mm f5.6 VR zoom but it was on a brilliant and contrasty day.

My guess is that the lenses they are not compatible with are 'slow' lenses which compromises the AF sensors. If you're starting with f5.6 (which is about the slowest AF usually works with) any additional light loss will make the AF function questionable.

I've not looked at the chart though..... :shrug:

I've used a Kenko converter and it worked OK on 80-400mm f5.6 VR zoom but it was on a brilliant and contrasty day.

Thats what you would have though, but it seems really hit and miss right across the board.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_tele.asp

Actually, just having another look at it there, it seems it will only AF on fast AFS/HSM lenses. Mechanical focus lenses are all manual focus it seems. This is the same with the Nikon teleconverters as far as im aware. This is another reason im leaning towards the Kenko ones,as they should work with mechnical lenses as well as AF-S/HSM ones. Id just like to hear about peoples experiences on the IQ of them though.

I used my converter at the weekend on the I of Wight, mainly cos I had it the bag and couldn't be bothered to go back tot he car for a longer lens. It wasn't much of a shot as the fox had disappeared!

Anyway, 70-200mm f2.8 VR at F5.6 with a Kenko 1.4x converter.

cows_conv_sml.jpg

Clicky for a bigger image..... no treatment at all, just converted from the original NEF in Nikon View.

Well I realised that this thread served simply to convince myself to get the Kenko ones. So ive bitten the bullet and bought a 1.4X and a 2X from that ebay store that you suggested Brains. Nice to see that they are the newer DG version as well, and as a bonus... in black!:D Thanks for everyones help. I'll see if I can do a little review when they turn up. I wonder what they would be like stacked ontop of the 300mm f2.8 :thinking::LOL: Would that be a 840mm f8?

...... and a 2.8x magnification of any lens' aberrations! :p

Hmmm.... there were a number, and the fox got one! I only got the fox with the 24-120mm :(

It is soft, but it is straight from the camera in RAW with NO post-processing, so you aren't gonna get much worse than this!

Has to be the Nikon 1.7x for me, most practical extension of focal length mated with only 1.5 f-stop loss. I'm sure the 1.4x is great, but taking a 200mm to 280mm? I couldn't see the point, might as well walk a bit closer! I had previously read the 2x wasn't as good optically, then losing 2 f-stops too sealed it for me

Has to be the Nikon 1.7x for me, most practical extension of focal length mated with only 1.5 f-stop loss. I'm sure the 1.4x is great, but taking a 200mm to 280mm? I couldn't see the point, might as well walk a bit closer! I had previously read the 2x wasn't as good optically, then losing 2 f-stops too sealed it for me

Well, I got it to go with a 80-400mm VR which was a much more beneficial and practical arrangement..... as was the financial deal that went with it! :clap:

Horses for courses .... I find teleconverters sometimes not worth the effort... still, a cheap alternative to a longer lens.

The main reason im getting them is because I want a super telephoto, and my budget really didn't stretch to 600mm or 800mm lenses. So instead ive ended up with a really solid 300 prime lens, that I can convert into a decent 600mm lens. Also with the lens being a prime, the converters will be more than usefull for framing purposes to give me more flexibility. :) I'll also be able to put them on my Sigma 150mm f2.8 to increase the magnification if I so wish.

My 300mm f2.8 turned up on Friday.. what a beast! Its big, heavy and looks like a serious piece of kit. Took it for a spin today, and despite adverse weather conditions got some nice shots.

The teleconverters turned up today as well, which was well timed. However, they don't seem to work properly. Having done a few tests, they work fine on my Kit 18-55mm lens, however on two of my Sigmas (150mm f28 and 300mm f2,8) they work for a second, then start seeking then just stop focusing. The viewfinder icons flicker a little and the battery low indicator shows up. The camera then throws up; "error, please turn the camera off and back on again". This happens with the both the 1.4X and the 2X. And both on my D40X and my friends D40. If I turn the camera to MF they work fine. After some quick googling it seems it affects a few people. Anyone got any experience of this error or any suggestions?:thinking::(

Could it be anything to do with the fact the d40/x doesn't have a built in AFM? I know the fact it works with the 18-55 is contradictory to my theory, but maybe it has something to do with the D40/HSM. Have you tried it on any other nikon?

My 300mm f2.8 turned up on Friday.. what a beast! Its big, heavy and looks like a serious piece of kit. Took it for a spin today, and despite adverse weather conditions got some nice shots.

The teleconverters turned up today as well, which was well timed. However, they don't seem to work properly. Having done a few tests, they work fine on my Kit 18-55mm lens, however on two of my Sigmas (150mm f28 and 300mm f2,8) they work for a second, then start seeking then just stop focusing. The viewfinder icons flicker a little and the battery low indicator shows up. The camera then throws up; "error, please turn the camera off and back on again". This happens with the both the 1.4X and the 2X. And both on my D40X and my friends D40. If I turn the camera to MF they work fine. After some quick googling it seems it affects a few people. Anyone got any experience of this error or any suggestions?:thinking::(

See post #8 :shake:

Just to say - I tested a 2x sigma tc yesterday courtesy of Ace Cameras in Bath. I was only a little concerned about the loss of 2 stops, but have to say that any attempt at autofocus was completely hopeless. Every refocus resulted in the lens running its entire range of focus - each time missing the correct spot. So I won't be buying one. Having said that, if manual focus is your thing (as MK's probably is), that would be different.

Could it be anything to do with the fact the d40/x doesn't have a built in AFM? I know the fact it works with the 18-55 is contradictory to my theory, but maybe it has something to do with the D40/HSM. Have you tried it on any other nikon?

It could be. I havent had chance to test it on another camera, but I might try it. Having ssaid that, from looking around it seems this problem affect people with a whole range of cameras. One person had a D80(I think) which it worked with fine. but after a firmware update it started cauing errors. This leads me to believe its a problem with the Camera firmware not liking a HSM lens being attached by a Kenko TC. Why this would happen though I have no idea. Ive heard of people taping over certain contacts on TCs to stop them reporting the actuall effective aparture. The Kenkos don't report this anyway, but I wonder if taping certain contacts might solve the problem.

See post #8 :shake:

But why though? Thats like saying only get Nikon lenses for Nikon cameras. There is no obvious reason why the Kenko ones shouldn't work. And spending twice the money on Sigma ones which admit they don't work on half of the lenses out there seems a bit silly to me.

Just to say - I tested a 2x sigma tc yesterday courtesy of Ace Cameras in Bath. I was only a little concerned about the loss of 2 stops, but have to say that any attempt at autofocus was completely hopeless. Every refocus resulted in the lens running its entire range of focus - each time missing the correct spot. So I won't be buying one. Having said that, if manual focus is your thing (as MK's probably is), that would be different.

What camera and lens was this with Phil? My problem is that yes I use MF 99% of the time for macro work, when shooting wildlife (Which is why I wanted the 300mm+TCs) I really want AF-C most of the time. I did try putting the 2X TC on to get 600mm and use manual focus, but I found it too restrictive for what I was doing. Shooting birds in flight with manual focus is just a little bit on the tricky side.

--CLIP--

Shooting birds in flight with manual focus is just a little bit on the tricky side.

Eric Hoskings managed it the old days -- and he only had one eye (after an encounter with an owl)!

Eric Hoskings managed it the old days -- and he only had one eye (after an encounter with an owl)!

Oh im not saying its impossible, but it seems a shame to have a modern camera and lens with fast autofocus designed to track moving objects etc, then just ending up with MF.

I know it sounds almost pompous or elitist but that's why I try to use Nikon kit all the time. I realise it's not always possible cos some things just aint cheap but at least compatibility is built in or there is a statement as to whether it will or won't work. Sigma (and others) on the other hand are having to reverse engineer their kit. When Nikon, Canon and others do a firmware upgrade it's not been unheard of for the independent lens manufacturers to have to 'fix' their own lenses and at cost too!

And before anybody says anything - I do understand not all Nikon teleconverters work with all Nikon lenses!

<< But why though? Thats like saying only get Nikon lenses for Nikon cameras. There is no obvious reason why the Kenko ones shouldn't work. And spending twice the money on Sigma ones which admit they don't work on half of the lenses out there seems a bit silly to me.>>

Because they are proven to work on the 150 2.8 and the 300 2.8 which you state is your main reason for wanting a TC.

I use Sigma TCs with the 150 2.8 and the 300 2.8 NO PROBLEMS.
OK so there may be some lenses which don't perform well but you asked about using with the 300 2.8 :shrug:

Just got an email back from thkphoto (The distributers of Kenko);

This is a known problem with Sigma lenses and, unfortunately, there is no solution.

:( Would have been nice if they mentioned this in the product description then. Looks like im going to have to get a Sigma one next payday. Suppose not all is wasted as ive heard Sigma Tcs arn't great with non Sigma lenses. (I just need non sigma telephoto primes now)

Back