Tell me about RIAT...

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Last Summer we were on hols in Jersey and magaed to see the air show there. The other half seems keen on seeing RIAT - I know nowt about it, so tell me what I need to know please.

Have a D500 and would hire glass - 400/2.8 ok ?

Look at the website. Saturday is the most popular day.
If you like air shows this is the best.
You will get some great images with that set up. A zoom like the 200-500 is ideal as not every shot needs a very long focal length.
Plenty of shots amongst the static displays as well.

A pale shadow of the show it was 20 years ago due to defence cut-backs but still by far the largest airshow in the UK. Can be a long old day if you walk the length of the static display!

These were taken at last years show, D500 plus Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6 at around the 400mm mark:

43435458511_4e922f6d69_b.jpg

43435466561_4dd9506d3e_b.jpg

43435464661_540ccab832_b.jpg

43435467711_99ab132b49_b.jpg

GC

I normally go on the Saturday, stay at a hotel ( I live about 3 hours drive away) on the Saturday night then either go again Sunday or take a slow drive home missing all the traffic. I go on my own so rather than go into the actual show where I would have to give up my spot when I wanted to use the toilet or whatever I drive into one of the local campsites on the outskirts who charge you to park and view. I prefer that as you can put some chairs and a coldbox in the boot and set it up right next to the car.

This year I used a Canon M5 with the 100-400mm MKII and Pentax K-1 with a 150-450mm. 500mm on a crop should do you nicely.

RIAT 2018
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

RIAT 2018

RIAT 2018

RIAT 2018 - 58 Blue | Sukhoi SU-27 | EGVA - FFD

1st timer in 2018 - thought it was excellent. Valid comment about the fact that 25-30 years ago it would've been miles better with Phantom. Vulcan, Jaguar etc etc...

Set up superb.

Have been a few times now myself. Always used to just find a space to plonk myself down after walking round the static. Now though I do the static then use the Viewing Village upgrade. You can either grab one of the seats or theres a small roped of photo enclosure at the front. Much more enjoyable experience for imo. A grandstand is also available too but I think it looks too cramped for my liking. Food available with smaller queues than outside, same for loos. As a solo traveller there no worries about losing your seat as I just leave my coat over a chair if I need a break. The extra £30 is well worth it.
Ideally probably better doing 2 days at RIAT - 1 in the enclosure for a more relaxing day and the other to cover the static stuff etc. Unfortunately coming from Belfast I usually make the most of the weekend and do Flying Legends on the Saturday then RIAT on the Sunday with RIAT departures on the Monday.
Hadnt planned on going this year but as soon as the Spanish Harrier was announced - that clinched it for me.

I usually only go to the Monday departures at Park and View West. Nikon 200-500 ideal plus a wide angle for the items that taxi past straight in front of you.

Back