Testing the D-Lite2's... loving them!

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Managed to convince Jen (my wife) to have a few shots done of her, so here's a hi-key one I took whilst playing with the gear this afternoon.

Have to say, the D-Lite's are awesome... loving them.

Comments welcome...

Hands close to faces are rarely flattering MM, and there seems to be a lot of spill on the sides, which you may not have wanted?

How far off the background was she? As it looks like the light on the background is also lighting the subject

Lighting on the face is good though

(y)

Glad you like the D-Lites, I love mine too. For 'harsher' light, suited to men especially, treat yourself to the basic dish & grid set - about £30

DD

Have to agree with Diddy about the spill, but to be honest I don't mind it as it concentrates the the eye towards the darker centre of the image.

One thing I don't like is the confusion with the eye contact (left one) and the hair thats in the way! It just brakes the connection.

One really tiny little thing too.....I'd straighten up your lovely wifes wedding ring.

Simon

Last edited:
Wedding ring on her RIGHT hand?? ;)

I think its a slight bit oversharpened for me, but that doesnt take away from a good shot. Glad you are enjoying playing with the lights.

Doh!:confused: Think its cos of the way I'm looking at the picture......

Janice is right, you are starting to see a little pixelation in the areas like the hair, it might be because its been shrunk down and the compression?

Simon

Thanks all... still learning how to get the best from the D-Lites, only had them a few days... :)

DD - the shot was taken in our living room, which isn't anywhere near as large as your studio space and so Jen was unfortunately, quite close to the background. I was aware of this, and tried to angle the smaller softbox inwards a little more, but obviously there wasn't enough room to avoid the spillage of light onto her shoulders. I then tried to balance the image edge softness a little by burning out the opposite side too.

See... I do try... :)

Wedding ring on her RIGHT hand?? ;)

I think its a slight bit oversharpened for me, but that doesnt take away from a good shot. Glad you are enjoying playing with the lights.

If she is German it would be her right hand.

I like the shot and I do not mind the spill as this gives definition to the portrait.

Thanks all... still learning how to get the best from the D-Lites, only had them a few days... :)

DD - the shot was taken in our living room, which isn't anywhere near as large as your studio space and so Jen was unfortunately, quite close to the background. I was aware of this, and tried to angle the smaller softbox inwards a little more, but obviously there wasn't enough room to avoid the spillage of light onto her shoulders. I then tried to balance the image edge softness a little by burning out the opposite side too.

See... I do try... :)

Good job then, working around problems like this (space) is what it's all about, so making the 'problem' into a feature is the right way to go

:clap:

DD

Back