Tewkesbury Abbey

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Visited Tewkesbury this morning after a customer call, deciding to visit the abbey - paid my £2 for a photography permit (the only mug taking photos to do so!).
Went in with my Nikon 24-120 f4 - not the best for shooting inside church premises, really need f2.8 or less so had to up the ISO ... 800 - 12800.

Hope you like some of the efforts :)

#1 The Abbey Outside

_RJB9844.jpg

#2 The Main Aisle

_RJB9863.jpg

#3 The Sleeping Man

_RJB9834.jpg

#4 The 'Secure Area'

_RJB9835.jpg

#5 Looking In The Mirror

_RJB9860.jpg

#6 The Flower Hole

_RJB9829.jpg

you're just showing off now gramps ! ;)

they're amazing. love the detail and perspective im getting off looking at these.

If I HAD to pick some favourites, it's #1,#2 and #3. Absolutely love the "sleeping man", he's popping out like a good one!

Thanks Carl ... impromptu I assure you, I didn't think of visiting the abbey until I left Evesham and saw the signs as I approached the motorway.
I really appreciate you taking the time to look and comment (y)

Went in with my Nikon 24-120 f4 - not the best for shooting inside church premises, really need f2.8 or less so had to up the ISO ... 800 - 12800.

Surely the 3-4 stops you get from the VR are going to be more useful than the one stop gain of f/2.8 over f/4 :shrug: in fact I'd say VR really comes into it's own with dim interiors... can't see why you'd need ISO 12800 on this subject matter :thinking:

They are lovely shots though, particularly like the last 3 and the processing is spot on, just enough to bring out the detail without being OTT (y)

Surely the 3-4 stops you get from the VR are going to be more useful than the one stop gain of f/2.8 over f/4 :shrug: in fact I'd say VR really comes into it's own with dim interiors... can't see why you'd need ISO 12800 on this subject matter :thinking:

They are lovely shots though, particularly like the last 3 and the processing is spot on, just enough to bring out the detail without being OTT (y)

I think it depends on how well you are able to hand-hold, personally I am not able to hold as steadily as I was so I am reluctant to 'chance it' in darker areas, especially where there is a high variation with shadow/windows/lights etc. VR helps me in general shooting but at extremes I still have the ability to lose sharpness!
I certainly didn't need to shoot at ISO 12800, I did so on a couple of images out of curiosity to see how it would turn out ... I was able to shoot at around 1/400th making, it easy to hand-hold and surprisingly with little degradation to the image.

Thanks for your kind comments on the images :)

I really love these shots. My favorites are #3 & 4. Imo they all have just the right amount of pp.

I really love these shots. My favorites are #3 & 4. Imo they all have just the right amount of pp.

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I think #3 is my favourite too :)

Great shots gramps. I love the ceiling arches in churches and you did a great job with them.

Well first off i think it was worth the £2.00 you have some great shots and all are well processed.

The mirror if i had a number 1 is it just for clarity did you use a tripod?

Allan

I agree, the £2 was well spent :)
Thanks for your comments, they were all handheld shots as it was an unplanned visit. A tripod is ideal inside churches (if permitted) as it allows much more scope.

Great shots gramps. I love the ceiling arches in churches and you did a great job with them.

Thanks for your kind comments, I'm always excited to see the arches in church ceilings and cloisters.

after seeing your post yesterday gramps, gave me some inspiration on what to photo in the church i done yesterday evening. No where near as good as yours, but was good trying to emulate some of the angles, so thanks :)

after seeing your post yesterday gramps, gave me some inspiration on what to photo in the church i done yesterday evening. No where near as good as yours, but was good trying to emulate some of the angles, so thanks :)

Glad to hear it Carl, would love to see them when you get a chance to post them. Churches (and similar buildings) are challenging but very interesting places to photograph ... many of the pics I take are scrapped though :)

ive put them up in this section last night :)

not as fancy as the abbey, but it had character for a local village church and i took my time. Was there nearly an hour :)

ive put them up in this section last night :)

not as fancy as the abbey, but it had character for a local village church and i took my time. Was there nearly an hour :)

(y) Yep saw them and commented, these types of properties make for interesting photography.

Superb shots all of them but yes no 3 is the one for me that is stunning.

Back