Thames at night

Name
Julian
Edit My Images
No
Are these HDR ...............?

With this result I find that surprising.......;)

Erm, ok. Have a look at the detailed exif data in the Flickr accounts. These were single jpeg long exposures. I find there's sufficient shadow detail in a well exposed jpeg for judicious Lightroom use to optimise. If it's the bridge in the first pic that's making you think it's an HDR - Southwark Bridge really is lit up that much!

Last edited:
You have said they are not HDR, don't feel you have to explain further. What does it matter anyhow? Some peeps on here get so caught up in it and so many HDR post I see the photographer almost feel they have to apologise for using it. What's up with that? - Ok, rant over!

The St Pauls dome works best for me probably because the composition is more straight forward. The shots do have a lot of noise which could be a number of things but it wouldn't be helped by the mix of using lossy jpg and the sharpening during PP. Using your raw function would give much better results especially in these low light conditions.

You probably already know this but just in case it helps, make sure you avoid handheld and turn IS off when taking these shots as it may reduce the need for sharpening and noise in the future.

I hope you find this a bit more helpful :)

Last edited:
The shots do have a lot of noise which could be a number of things but it wouldn't be helped by the mix of using lossy jpg and the sharpening during PP. Using your raw function would give much better results especially in these low light conditions.

You probably already know this but just in case it helps, make sure you avoid handheld and turn IS off when taking these shots as it may reduce the need for sharpening and noise in the future.

I hope you find this a bit more helpful :)

Thanks, very helpful :). Part of the problem is the limited capability of a 2-3 year old camera with a very small sensor. What you suggest is absolutely right and could have made a difference. However I persuaded myself that a new, more recent camera with a bigger sensor could also help and one of the first settings I changed was to capture raw+jpeg, same as I do with the DSLRs.

Thanks for the comments chaps. I admit I like the St Paul's shot the best, so much so I will probably get it printed in a fairly big size on aluminium. I like the panorama very much as well, but the quality isn't great at 100% so I'll make a trip back with the proper gear at some point. It's not as if the buildings are going to go anywhere :)

Last edited:
I received #2 earlier this week printed by Whitewall on aluminium, sized 16"x24". It looks frigging fantastic :D The quality of image is incredible from a low light, highish ISO shot off a tiny sensor. Comparing it to film of 10 years ago - would not have been achievable. Granted there was a fair bit of processing but there is not a single sign of JPEG compression and only the slightest hint of softness close up.

Back