Thanks for letting me join

Name
Orion
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello my name is Orion and I live near Bristol. Doing photography professionally is something I have always wondered about. Well, a few weeks ago I finally decided to give the old 9 to 5 the heave ho and make a proper go of it. Back in the 90's I got a film and photography degree and then life took me in different directions and I never pursued it other than as a hobby. That means I am super rusty and I need to re-learn a LOT.
I found my way here searching for discussions about turning garages into photography studios (as I have a 2 car garage with a high ceiling) and was really impressed with the replies. Needless to say, after reading that thread, I understand that I probably shouldn't do that right now and instead should focus on core skills like taking good headshots indoors and outdoors and getting good at working with lighting. My starting point is that I have no ego about this and a lot to learn and this place seems full of really great people to chat to :)
Thanks again for letting me in!

I'm sure you'll be very welcome Orion.

There are threads here dedicated to film and of course digital too and lots of cross over on gear.

I hope you enjoy the forum and I'll look forward to seeing your pictures and chatting in the various threads.

Have Fun! :D

Oh, and good luck with the new career!

Hi and welcome to TP

It sounds like you have given up the wage slip life and I wish you well in your new journey.

I surmise there will be other TPers along in due course but devils advocate wise (so to speak) can I pose some things to consider as you haven't mentioned it/them.

Have you previously worked in an environment where you have picked up the "how to run a business" and worked on a business plan for your new business?

Have you got a budget for the gear you may likely need e.g. lens(es), lighting equipment etc

Have got a social media presence and web domain that you will be trading under.

As a novice business have you, whilst working the previous jobs, accrued sufficient savings to pay your bills and living costs for at least the first 6 months.....or longer.

Note ~ I have not said anything about your cameracraft..............as a photography business has more to do with 'the business' than actually taking pictures.

Last edited:
Hi Orion, And welcome aboard TP, looking forward to hearing from you and maybe seeing some of your images on the various forums. "Enjoy"

Hi @Box Brownie , Thanks for the nice welcome.

> Have you previously worked in an environment where you have picked up the "how to run a business" and worked on a business plan for your new business?

Yes indeed, up to about 3 years ago I had been running my own lead generation business for many years. I've only been working for someone else since then.

> Have you got a budget for the gear you may likely need e.g. lens(es), lighting equipment etc

Yes, I do have a camera (Canon 500D) and a couple of lenses although I don't have any lights. I have been recommended eventually getting some Elinchrom lights.

> Have got a social media presence and web domain that you will be trading under.

Yes (partially at least) that is being set up right now (domain acquired and basic site built).

> As a novice business have you accrued sufficient savings to pay your bills for and living costs for at least the first 6 months.

Yes, although if petrol and energy bills gets anymore blinkin expensive who knows!

Great questions and happy to say I'm getting to grips with at least some of them already :)

Last edited:
Hi Orion, welcome to the forum :welcome:

All the very best of luck with your new venture, keep us posted please ;)

Welcome to TP from a Bristolian street photographer. :cool:

Welcome and good luck. There are enough current and retired Pro's here to give you benefit of their sage advice, as well as quite a few who make a sideline income from togging.
Ask away with your questions. People who respond to advice given and take some of that advice generally are the better for it, certainly.

Back