That was weird!

What does the negative look like? If the neg is a bit cloudy in the same spot then it might be that you didnt fix for long enough or your fixer is knackered

Yep, I'd re-fix and wash for longer than you normally would. The cloudy thing usually disappears after it's been drying for a while.

Fix was freshly mixed and clip tested spot on, film fixed for 6 minutes :shrug:

As always though the edges of the film have developed faster than the centre, however there were no streaks from the sprockets this time at least!

I'm getting fed up with home dev, wasted god knows how much film and it still doesn't come out right! Might give one last ditch effort with some off the shelf dev just to rule out the caffenol as an issue, although it seems to be working fine (Even on this roll the detail in a 100% crop is incredible!)

T400CN in Caffenol 100% crop by R. Alan Jones, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Try with some off the shelf dev and with a proper black and white film. using a C-41 process film with a DIY chemical has too many variables as to why it might not be going so well

C41 in B&W is no different from 'true' B&W, it's just a different dev time like anything else. Caffenol is good with times as you don't have individual times for each film, you have a time fr B&W and a time for C41, add 40% extra for a stop push and double for 2 stops. Simple.

I'm 100% convinced my technique is at fault, but I have no idea how.

Caffenol is good with times as you don't have individual times for each film, you have a time fr B&W and a time for C41

Yet many emulsions have different characteristics and need different dev times for any chemicals so i dont see why caffenol would be any different? C-41 i can understand as it's a standardised. BW however?

Weird & Wonderful!
I rather like that effect with the duotone tinge if I'm honest :}

I had this on a whole roll.
I know there was a small light leak under my bathroom door when I was taking the film out and I didn't use the proper spindle thing in my developing tank. Every other dev I've done has come out spot on, always used ilford chems.

example, my scanner picked up loads of weird colours from yellow through green, blue and even some purple! Normally my scanner puts out almost completely unsaturated results even though i scan in colour mode.

0179Medium.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Back