The 10 Greatest/Best Selling/Most Influential Film Cameras

H'mm.....the XA2 keeps being mentioned but the XA is superior.

Hi Mike,

Welcome aboard and thanks for such an interesting first post. Great stuff. I shall add your well-argued suggestions to the list.

Andy

Hi Mike,

Welcome to F&C the best part of the TP forum.

Great first post, really interesting selection of cameras, my own Konica C35, known as Monika, had an interesting trip around the country last year as part of one of our travelling camera challenges, its a great little camera with a cracking lens and as you point out often overlooked.

The Midlands start at Bristol and anything North of the M4 corridor qualifies! (Until you get "reet oop north").

No longer much of a filmie but used to be, so here's my tuppenyworth and what I had a hankering for back in the day!

Spotty - any of them! Finally managed to afford one just before I left school (and an esily accesible darkroom...)
Hassy 500C (IIRC), as used by a schoolfriend when he was shooting stuff that ended up in NG (at 17 years old!)
Canon A1, said friend's little camera! The dawn of P (for perfeshnial) mode.
Nikon F in all its variants (until AF came along and even a couple of the AF ones).
Speed Graphic. Still have a hankering for one of these, complete with the trilby and press ticket in the band!
Oly OM 10, mainly for the lenses. (Got one now but only put a couple of rolls through it).
Pentax 110 Auto, mainly because I've got hands like hams and it would look so ridiculous in them!
Rolleiflex TLR because Dad used to use one and I was too young to be allowed to play with it.
Oly trip to make up the numbers and because I really did want to be DB at one stage!
Oddly, I've never had a real hankering for a Leica. Lovely engineering and fabulous lenses but eyewatering prices.

That'll do me for now!

Can.ot come up with tol 10.

I was loaned a Box Brownie in the erly 60s which I loved but it was not mine. I was about 8yo!

When I was ready to buy my first camera I was very mjch going to buy td. An Olympus OM1 which mh froend aas given for his birthday. Come the day K went to the big camera warehouse in West Drayton to .uy my fidsg bdand new camera. (getting old I cannot remember the namd). Anyeay I returned homr with a ..... Nikon FM! I think this was brilliant camera. I thought it looked 'Pro' bjg it was very well built and a little heavy.

Trojble was it developed a fault and was loaned a Pentax MX. Loved that model ever sjnce.

So ather than try to pre huess a top 10 for me the Pentax MX sjould be in the lidt.

Small well built. Fantastic range of drives lenses databack bul film pack changeable focussing screen and more.

I have 3 of them. Have the lovdly LX ; rarely used ddspitd auality dtc. I will never sell it but it feels like it should be on an altar surrounded by candles and being worshipped.

H

Last edited:
Hey Teflon...welcome. I like you already. Great post.

I also have to give a mention to the Minolta Dynax 9, a beast of a camera with autoexposure and autofocus that was a match for the Nikon F5 and focal plane shutter that went from 30seconds to - 1/12,000 of a second, now that's fast :eek:

A fine choice sir!

M

What about the Rollei 35? Although it was released a while before I was born, I've read and heard that it's design was so innovative at the time. Its such a quirky little camera. If only it had a split focussing system it would have been even better. I love mine, its a 35 SE with a sharp 40mm 2.8 Sonnar lens.

Innovative is a whole other top 10 list - probably would include many cameras that were firsts, but many of them were also commercial failures.

H'mm.....the XA2 keeps being mentioned but the XA is superior.
The XA has aperture priority and a rangefinder, having owned and used both the XA and XA2 i'd take the XA2 if i wanted that style of body. The XA rangefinder is tiny, fiddly and **** poor in lower light, i actually got more out of focus shots from the XA than i did with the XA2's zone focus options. The only advantage the XA offers is the aperture priority metering with shutter speed in the viewfinder, but the XA2's meter is considered to be more accurate than the XA, particularly when it comes to slide film.

IMO the XA2 is better for what it is, a snapshot camera, you don't speed ages fiddling with the tiny RF lever, set the zone and shoot. It's pretty much a Trip 35 that fits in a pocket. Saying all this i prefer the Mju-II for a snapshot camera but a lot of people don't like that level of automation in a film camera and the XA series is a nice bridge between automation and manual controls.

Innovative is a whole other top 10 list - probably would include many cameras that were firsts, but many of them were also commercial failures.

35se_chrome_sonnar.jpg

:love:

Back