The Acropolis in monochrome

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
I wanted pictures that were unlike the typical tourist shots everyone comes home with. We were lucky enough to visit this September when there were far fewer tourists around than usual, and that made it possible to walk about using just a Sigma 12-24 on my A7 instead of the usual 24-105 type zoom. With these pictures I've tried to capture a mix of a sense of being there, the enormity of the site and impact of some of these structures. In processing, the look was chosen to create a slight sense of un-reality, because so many dreams have lived in this site over the millenia.

Feel free to critique. I've embedded these because I'm waiting to see what's going on with Flickr.

The way in.
The Acropolis-.jpg

The Acropolis--2.jpg

The Acropolis--3.jpg

Last edited:
Cool series and a lot quieter than I went in 2014.

Wouldn't mind seeing these in colour. Tge stone is a lovely colour and against lovely clear blue skies makes a nice colour palate

Thanks Steve, and yes, we were amazed how relatively quiet it was.

I'll see what can be done about the colour pics. ;)

Same here. B&W looks awesome, but prefer the colour. Very nice, gives a feeling of warmth.

Thanks gents. Interestingly I prefer the mono, but the colour pics do look more 'natural'.

I'm going to alter my opinion by saying that I don't prefer one over the other. I think they both are equally nice to look at, the black and white being more cool and artistic and the colour being warmer and more 'travelogue' if that's the right word.

Thanks gents. Interestingly I prefer the mono, but the colour pics do look more 'natural'.

I also prefer the mono nice work Toni

I wouldn't have post the colour in the same thread as this is the usual reaction

I much prefer the B&W. They have more impact and capture the style, shapes and texture of the architecture. Had I been there, I would have immediately known that I wanted to present them in B&W.

Dave

That's on my "bucket list"! Great shots and thanks for sharing. It's time we gave the Greeks their marbles back!

Thanks Gents, much appreciated.

That's on my "bucket list"! Great shots and thanks for sharing. It's time we gave the Greeks their marbles back!

The greeks are really REALLY grumpy about their marbles, but less said about that the better. Throughout history other nations have plundered classical sites for their 'art', in the case of Athens, starting with Rome and not really stopping here until very recently. The thing that really ruined the Parthenon was an artillary round landing on the Turkish magazine inside, but that tends to get played down quite a bit. :p They have my sympathy.

Athens has been on the 'list' for a couple of decades, and well worth visiting, though I wouldn't stay more than a week - it was nice to combine it with a stay on the coast nearby.

Thanks Gents, much appreciated.

The greeks are really REALLY grumpy about their marbles, but less said about that the better. Throughout history other nations have plundered classical sites for their 'art', in the case of Athens, starting with Rome and not really stopping here until very recently. The thing that really ruined the Parthenon was an artillary round landing on the Turkish magazine inside, but that tends to get played down quite a bit. :p They have my sympathy.

Athens has been on the 'list' for a couple of decades, and well worth visiting, though I wouldn't stay more than a week - it was nice to combine it with a stay on the coast nearby.
I particularly like the shot of the roof structure. It appears to be all limestone! (ie. no timber!) Amazing (see the cracks).

Back