The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I would say saving £275, a free battery and a 3 year warranty is a decent enough saving.

UK can be had for 1999 + half price MC 11 and 3 year warranty. Sell the MC11 and its 1920 less 40 discount, 1880, so more like £150 difference... and Im guessing Ray claimed the VAT £1567 (great if you can).

UK can be had for 1999 + half price MC 11 and 3 year warranty. Sell the MC11 and its 1920 less 40 discount, 1880, so more like £150 difference... and Im guessing Ray claimed the VAT £1567 (great if you can).

I don't believe that the promo with the half price MC-11 is available any more, but I may be mistaken. Wilkinson cameras where doing that but now that offer is only available with the A7RIII.

I use Quidco a lot and it doesn't always track so the cash back is not guaranteed.

I don't turn over more than 85k with either of my 2 businesses so am not vat registered for either of them.

Mostly because I really want it for this weekend’s wedding, happy to pay that bit extra and you do get 1 extra year warranty with it. Quidco is a bonus. I have bought from Panama before, but this time I want to guarantee to have the camera in time. Knowing me it will turn up on Friday when I am out.

Mostly because I really want it for this weekend’s wedding, happy to pay that bit extra and you do get 1 extra year warranty with it. Quidco is a bonus. I have bought from Panama before, but this time I want to guarantee to have the camera in time. Knowing me it will turn up on Friday when I am out.

Off course Raymond that's your call. It wouldn't be the first time I have paid a little more for something just to have it a little earlier for a job. The tracking for mine has just updated and its supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Would be nice to have it for this weekends wedding but I am not that bothered if it doesn't arrive in time.

Last edited:
I don't believe that the promo with the half price MC-11 is available any more, but I may be mistaken. Wilkinson cameras where doing that but now that offer is only available with the A7RIII.

I use Quidco a lot and it doesn't always track so the cash back is not guaranteed.

I don't turn over more than 85k with either of my 2 businesses so am not vat registered for either of them.

Most dealers are still doing the mc11 deal. Yeah, I can see why you did it as the saving for you plus battery is still about 200 quid which isn't loads but when factoring in 2 bodies that's a decent saving. So glad I got mine at launch as the UK deals were really good... For a change.

So glad I got mine at launch as the UK deals were really good... For a change.
Me too, currently got my beady eye on the Sony A9 body in the classifieds, maybe sell the A7 III and get that mmmmmmm...... :eek:

Me too, currently got my beady eye on the Sony A9 body in the classifieds, maybe sell the A7 III and get that mmmmmmm...... :eek:

Do you need it or are you just bored? Probably better to buy lenses if anything at least they hold value. I'd be gutted if I paid launch money for an a9 and hardly used it, that's like a 2k loss in a year eeeeeek. If you aren't using your gear don't waste the money imo.

Do you need it or are you just bored? Probably better to buy lenses if anything at least they hold value. I'd be gutted if I paid launch money for an a9 and hardly used it, that's like a 2k loss in a year eeeeeek. If you aren't using your gear don't waste the money imo.

That means you'll have more A9's than you've taken non-test pictures this year :D:p:D stop the GAS, get out there and use what you have :)

Your both right..... will resist GAS and stick to buying the FE 135mm GM when it comes out :D

Not Sony related but something I just have to share... In another thread someone says they didn't like their Olympus because it was too configurable. That's one I've not heard before and it's completely baffled me.

Oh well... onwards...

So I thought I would go register for Sony Professional Support now that I have 2 bodies and 3 lenses….But they put tiers in their bodies, A73 is in the lower tier and I need on2 body such as the A7R3, A9 or RX1R to qualify…I am not even sure a used A7R2 would work as it needs to be a qualifying dealer.

So I thought I would go register for Sony Professional Support now that I have 2 bodies and 3 lenses….But they put tiers in their bodies, A73 is in the lower tier and I need on2 body such as the A7R3, A9 or RX1R to qualify…I am not even sure a used A7R2 would work as it needs to be a qualifying dealer.
What about the lenses you have? They all pro ones?

Doesn't matter - you have to have at least 1 A Tier body. The A73 is B Tier. Mental as it's aimed squarely at wedding photographers.

This is why I got my A9's and lenses from Panamoz. The price differential just isn't worth it.

Last edited:

Lenses are fine as you need 3 and all 3 of mine qualifies but the A73 is not at the level that counts, well it is but I still need one body to be a A7S, A7R, A9, A77, RX1 (WTF?!) RX1R etc.

A73 is not considered a "PROFESSIONAL" enough it seems, not even 2 of them.

Lenses are fine as you need 3 and all 3 of mine qualifies but the A73 is not at the level that counts, well it is but I still need one body to be a A7S, A7R, A9, A77, RX1 (WTF?!) RX1R etc.

A73 is not considered a "PROFESSIONAL" enough it seems, not even 2 of them.

Buy a used a77 or a7r then flog it on eBay.

Does the used one count?

I am thinking whether they ask for receipt or what if the serial was already registered.

You need to own at least 2 bodies and 3 lenses from below list. In case of body, you need to own at least one camera listed in the A-group.
And these cameras and lenses must have been purchased from an authorized Sony dealer in the European Economic Area (“EEA”) or Switzerland. Please visit https://www.sony.co.uk/locale-selectorand confirm location of authorized Sony dealer by “Find a Store” function.

Doesn't say you had to buy it but that'd be worth checking....

My daughter uses a lot of smilies too. To be fair though she is 8 years old.
In that case I used them as I thought I was coming across a bit preachy telling you basic stuff I thought anyone over 12 would know.

You have to be careful as it's hard to judge on line if people know or don't know stuff. Ditto with jokes, I 've had some posts which to me were very obviously jokes taken seriously and what I'd thought until then were adults then spit their dummies out. Hense the :D

So, what do you do... include the :D to make sure people understand it's all in fun or leave them out and have people think I'm a preaching arogent sod. Which I am, but thst's beside the point.

In that case I used them as I thought I was coming across a bit preachy telling you basic stuff I thought anyone over 12 would know.

You have to be careful as it's hard to judge on line if people know or don't know stuff. Ditto with jokes, I 've had some posts which to me were very obviously jokes taken seriously and what I'd thought until then were adults then spit their dummies out. Hense the :D

So, what do you do... include the :D to make sure people understand it's all in fun or leave them out and have people think I'm a preaching arogent sod. Which I am, but thst's beside the point.

No the other post didn't seem arrogant to me. This one did though...

You need to own at least 2 bodies and 3 lenses from below list. In case of body, you need to own at least one camera listed in the A-group.
And these cameras and lenses must have been purchased from an authorized Sony dealer in the European Economic Area (“EEA”) or Switzerland. Please visit https://www.sony.co.uk/locale-selectorand confirm location of authorized Sony dealer by “Find a Store” function.

Doesn't say you had to buy it but that'd be worth checking....

My 85GM is from Wilkson’s but not bought by me, I do have a copy of the receipt. My 50ZA is from ffords but it was their used equipment section. Only 35ZA is bought new from LCE.

No the other post didn't seem arrogant to me. This one did though...
Deep sigh...

It was just to check if :D are needed for you and it looks like they are as I was clearly having a bit of a fun but as I said sometimes on line it all goes a bit wrong with some peeps.

We got into this because I just couldn't believe you thought 28 and 40 were odd focal lengths.They've been about forever mate. It just goes to show that :D are needed for some people. Sometimes peeps need to be treated carefully and have things explained to them but maybe I just shouldn't waste my time. At least you've learned summot, 28 and 40 are old time long standing much used prime focal lengths.

Here endeth the lesson.

Last edited:
Deep sigh...

It was just to check if :D are needed for you and it looks like they are as I was clearly having a bit of a fun but as I said sometimes on line it all goes a bit wrong with some peeps.

We got into this because I just couldn't believe you thought 28 and 40 were odd focal lengths.They've been about forever mate. It just goes to show that :D are needed for some people. Sometimes peeps need to be treated carefully and have things explained to them but maybe I just shouldn't waste my time. At least you've learned summot, 28 and 40 are old time long standing much used prime focal lengths.

Here endeth the lesson.

Just pulling your leg mate.

:D hehe *group hug*

Hmmm well, whatever... but hands above the waist eh...

And whist I'm thinking about focal lengths... I started with a fixed focus f11 43mm camera which I put about a zillion films through and still have today but haven't put any film through for a long time. I also had a 45mm fixed lens RF, neither of these were actually 40mm but maybe close. Minolta did a 40mm f2 which I think Leica bagged and they crop up on evil bay all the time. I was never a big lover of 28mm but I have three and many people are fans and there's a fixed lens Leica which is 28mm and of course smartphones.

Anyway thinking about all this gave me an idea...

One thing I've been thinking of doing is having a one lens fixed settings old time day - 35mm, f8, focus set to 2-3m and just compose and shoot and see what happens. In the past with relatively small prints the results would be fine but in these days of pixel peeping at 100% the technique wont be the best.

Does anyone have any interest in some thread project days? Something like the above, shoot with one lens or one technique or one agreed subject and post the results... summot like that... If anyone is interested we could agree ideas and if not I'll just play with myself.

Two quick zone focus shots from last winter, snowball incoming...

DSC09088.JPG

DSC09089.JPG

Last edited:
Without resorting to the G Master lenses, what are the best Sony FE zoom options in the 24-70mm ish range?

Cheers,

Simon.

I'm happy enough with the 28-70mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens. Looking to constant apertures there's the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8, Sony 24-70mm f4, 24-105mm f4, 24-240mm f3.5-6.3, dunno if I've missed any there.

Back