The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Normally with FPS it is due to how fat the aperture will open and close.

Thanks for the extra info/thoughts people, definitely weighs in favour. Out of interest (and to provoke some ‘discussion’), why would/did you chose the A7iii over the Z6?

Thanks for the extra info/thoughts people, definitely weighs in favour. Out of interest (and to provoke some ‘discussion’), why would/did you chose the A7iii over the Z6?

I went to Sony when the z series was launched. I held of a good long while waiting to see what Nikon would offer in terms of mirrorless. If they had even managed to get close to what’s sony offers I would have stayed with Nikon and probably bought 4 x Z6’s straight away. I had the cash just sitting waiting for some time.

The first thing that put me off was the single card slot. That just isn’t an option for me as far as I am concerned. The iffy a.f performance on the z series was also a concern. In the first instance I bought 1x A7III to trial Sony first before jumping in. Around the same time I got to have a good play with a Z7, I preferred the Sony. I now have 3 x A7III’s and will be picking up a 4th body soon.

I found it a bit of a jump at first the menu etc seemed overly complicated. Having used the system for a few months now it’s all second nature now.

I went to Sony when the z series was launched. I held of a good long while waiting to see what Nikon would offer in terms of mirrorless. If they had even managed to get close to what’s sony offers I would have stayed with Nikon and probably bought 4 x Z6’s straight away. I had the cash just sitting waiting for some time.

The first thing that put me off was the single card slot. That just isn’t an option for me as far as I am concerned. The iffy a.f performance on the z series was also a concern. In the first instance I bought 1x A7III to trial Sony first before jumping in. Around the same time I got to have a good play with a Z7, I preferred the Sony. I now have 3 x A7III’s and will be picking up a 4th body soon.

I found it a bit of a jump at first the menu etc seemed overly complicated. Having used the system for a few months now it’s all second nature now.

Pretty much what he said. Was underwhelmed with the Z6 and the logical replacement for my 750 was the A7iii.

I tried the Z7 briefly and it was very nice to use. For me AF performance is very important and so is eyeAF, Z7 is lacking in both these areas.
Other issue is lack of lenses and a decent used market. Once up on a time I was an early adopter of the Sony mirrorless system. I adapted a lot of lenses and it was great fun. But I am through that now and don't want to do it again. Canikon missed the boat IMO. I'll consider them again if they can make a success of the system after starting so late.

2. Professional status
You must currently be operating as a professional photographer, providing customer invoices as a mandatory requirement of proof. Any documents that prove you work as a professional photographer, such as business registration documents, company statements, employee ID, and business cards should also be submitted. These will be jury-assessed to ensure that they meet the professional standard criteria. Assistants to professional photographers, part-timers and students are NOT qualified to apply.

3. Product qualification
You need to own at least 2 bodies and 3 lenses from below list. In case of body, you need to own at least one camera listed in the A-group.
And these cameras and lenses must have been purchased from an authorized Sony dealer in the European Economic Area (“EEA”) or Switzerland. Please visit https://www.sony.co.uk/locale-selector and confirm location of authorized Sony dealer by “Find a Store” function.

Oh found it! I'm never going to get Professional status lol

Last edited:
This forum is being an arse I have to keep resending my email address as it keep saying it fail to send to me

According to an article online I read elsewhere this will be a DSLR sized lens and will be available in multiple fitments including Nikon f mount.
Boooo....

Well I hope it's a FE lens i.e. a mirrorless design small UWA zoom since they recently released 15-30/2.8 and 17-35mm for DSLRs.

Anyone using the Sigma 14-24 lens (Canon mount with Sigma MC11 version)? It seems like a good lens for landscapes and astro photography, which is something I intend to try this year. We have plenty of dark sky so locations should be plentiful.

Last edited:
Anyone using the Sigma 14-24 lens (Canon mount with Sigma MC11 version) - it seems like a good lens for landscapes and astro photography, which is something I intend to try this year. We have plenty of dark sky so locations should be plentiful.

UWA is one of the areas where you can make some significant weight savings with mirrorless. So I'd advice against a DSLR design lens that'll be humongous.

Cash savings are more important than weight savings for this lens, beside which the GM 12-24 is F4, and the Sigma is F2.8.

Cash savings are more important than weight savings for this lens, beside which the GM 12-24 is F4, and the Sigma is F2.8.
Wasn't suggesting Sony 12-24.

Perhaps worth waiting a few days to see if tamron 17-28/2.8 comes to fruition.

Otherwise consider primes like Laowa 15mm f2 or batis 18mm or loxia 21mm

Maybe the Laowa, but I like the versatility of the zoom (Maybe the only lens I will carry up a mountain for night shots), and the wide aperture will help to keep the stars in shape!!!

BTW I love some of your uvivf (?) work, impressive stuff.

Maybe the Laowa, but I like the versatility of the zoom (Maybe the only lens I will carry up a mountain for night shots), and the wide aperture will help to keep the stars in shape!!!

BTW I love some of your uvivf (?) work, impressive stuff.

I have the laowa 15mm f2 (and a 24GM).

For a one lens solution the 16-35GM would be ideal but I guess you don't want to spend that kind of money.
Don't know about the ART 14-24 but I know the tamron 15-30mm/2.8 works pretty well. I used to own sony zeiss 16-35mm/2.8 (sony a-mount version) which you could also adapt and is rather nice.

TBH for astro shots you are better off shooting with wider aperture like you said. Something like 24GM would be perfect tbh and if you need wider just stitch. You can completely do away with tracking etc. Not to mention the lens is decent size, you can buy and use some filters like hoya red intensifier too.

I think you might be waiting for a while!

Well, they say it could come this year and until then I have one AF 35mm and quite a few manual ones I can struggle by with. I could live without a 35mm f1.8 but it would be a nice lens to have.

OK, I'm seriously considering the switch from Nikon D610 to A7III. For those who've made the jump already from Nikon (any) what disadvantages have you found with your new system?

And if you don't mind a few more questions:
FE24-70 f4 - is a bad choice (it's what I keep reading) - any reasonable value alternatives?
Is it worth buying an adapter for Nikon AFD lenses, or are they just not up to the job?
How are the Samyang primes performing for you?

Thanks

OK, I'm seriously considering the switch from Nikon D610 to A7III. For those who've made the jump already from Nikon (any) what disadvantages have you found with your new system?

And if you don't mind a few more questions:
FE24-70 f4 - is a bad choice (it's what I keep reading) - any reasonable value alternatives?
Is it worth buying an adapter for Nikon AFD lenses, or are they just not up to the job?
How are the Samyang primes performing for you?

Thanks
I’m currently making the jump from a D810 to the A7R3. So far so good. AF is good, better than I was expecting. The menus wasn’t as bad as I was expecting as there to a huge amount of customisable buttons, FN menu and my menu. Regarding lenses I was initially looking at the 24-70 f4 but pushed it out to the 24-105 G lens as it’s supposed to be a lens.

Back