The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Isnt that RGB tearing, when you move the view quickly, the older EVFs used to do it because they never refreshed quick enough afaik.

I'm sure you know how the field sequential display works... it displays colours in turn and hopes you don't perceive what's going on...Whatever the cause the EVF ruins the GX7 for me.

Panny have dropped the field sequential tech for their GX8 and I just assumed it was because of the complaints about it and to be honest I'm surprised that Leica have opted for it with the Q. I can't say for certain that what I see is a result of the field sequential technology and it may just be a complete coincidence that I hate the EVF on my GX7 but after buying a GX7 which I frankly don't like using because of the EVF I certainly will not be buying another camera with a field sequential EVF without giving it a very thorough road test.

Cut and paste from DPR...

"The electronic viewfinder on the Leica Q is a Liquid Crystal on Silicon (LCoS) display and has an effective resolution of 3.68 million pixels. LCoS technology, which is a field sequential system, only shows you 1.04M dots at any given time, as it cycles between red, green, and blue. While the image on the screen looks great, some may find 'color tearing' to be an issue when blinking or panning the camera."

Last edited:
May be demand has been quite high and exceeded production?

Nope, actual allocated stock has been very low from what I know (15-30 units max per retailer and those were the early senders), UK was one of the first to release units.
30 per shop doesn't seem a lot. I suppose it is possible that Sony wanted the camera out in the market place as soon as possible and therefore hasn't built up a large stock. I'd expect initial demand to be quite high despite the cost and I'd expect shortages to continue for a short while until the initial rush is over.

30 per shop doesn't seem a lot. I suppose it is possible that Sony wanted the camera out in the market place as soon as possible and therefore hasn't built up a large stock. I'd expect initial demand to be quite high despite the cost and I'd expect shortages to continue for a short while until the initial rush is over.

No, its not, think of it as pre order privilege. Its first come first serve as it comes in it goes out to the next in the queue. Its not even out everywhere yet and release was supposed to be mid-end August.

You've confused me.

Supply is limited and there aren't many about but it's not that Sony haven't made enough or that demand is high so I give up... What's the problem?

You've confused me.

Supply is limited and there aren't many about but it's not that Sony haven't made enough or that demand is high so I give up... What's the problem?

Sony is an international company they are releasing stock to all regions, pre orders go out first. You said perhaps demand has been high, indicating that perhaps large numbers have shipped. 15-30 for the odd lucky dealer is not a large number. I never said Sony havent made enough, perhaps they are just releasing stock slowly to key retailers internationally before the supposed firm launch date. A preorder privilege. Or perhaps retailers didn't want to hold to much stock of a very expensive camera they may not shift. Who knows.

Last edited:
Certainly lots of conflicting reports, some LCEs had physical stock unallocated but said they couldn't sell them off the shelf, but could despatch pre-orders as soon as they came in.

WEX certainly had way, way more than 30 or so, individual LCE stores had at least a few each, not bad for a £2.6k camera.

It seems to be releasing wider now anyhow, U.S. pre-orders are going out and a picture turned up on SAR of a retailer with 300 in the warehouse.

Certainly lots of conflicting reports, some LCEs had physical stock unallocated but said they couldn't sell them off the shelf, but could despatch pre-orders as soon as they came in.

WEX certainly had way, way more than 30 or so, individual LCE stores had at least a few each, not bad for a £2.6k camera.

It seems to be releasing wider now anyhow, U.S. pre-orders are going out and a picture turned up on SAR of a retailer with 300 in the warehouse.

I had a email from Wex yesterday saying the camera was pre-order. How do you know they had 30 or so??

Software which shows focus point?

How can I see the point of focus on my A7RM2 images please? Something akin to Canon Zoombrowser or was it DPP

I had a email from Wex yesterday saying the camera was pre-order. How do you know they had 30 or so??

They despatched loads last Thursday, with plenty of images and threads in various places as proof. There were 3 guys on a car forum I frequent that received them from WEX alone. If I could be bothered I could probably dig up at least 30+ individuals that have posted 'proof' online that I've seen so far, most said they came from WEX, and I have to presume there are plenty who don't bother showing off on the net as well as them.

Hmm mine was dispatched on the Wednesday by Wex but sod's law my road was being tarmac'd on Thursday and it didn't arrive until late Friday you may well imagine my frustration!

Initial release batch was low not sure about wex 100% but I know a guy who is in the trade and told me initial quantities were what I said with view to trying to get more over the next couple days depending on how Sony allocated. That's how I know.

Best buy got 300 in the states, do you realise why? They aren't a tiny retailer and they probably sell huge amounts of Sony equipment.

Initial release batch was low not sure about wex 100% but I know a guy who is in the trade and told me initial quantities were what I said with view to trying to get more over the next couple days depending on how Sony allocated. That's how I know.

Best buy got 300 in the states, do you realise why? They aren't a tiny retailer and they probably sell huge amounts of Sony equipment.

But twist IIRC you weren't keen on buying one either, so what's the point of this? I pre-ordered very early and got one and am over the moon with it but I'm not an expert pro - so is this turning into a 'very poor takeup of the A7RM2' direction or indeed what is the point?

But twist IIRC you weren't keen on buying one either, so what's the point of this? I pre-ordered very early and got one and am over the moon with it but I'm not an expert pro - so is this turning into a 'very poor takeup of the A7RM2' direction or indeed what is the point?

FYI I think you are mistaken, Ive always been interested in this camera, I was waiting for more reviews etc before I throw my money away.

All I was discussing was stock level and how much was allocated. Nothing more. Is that an acceptable 'point' for you?

FYI I think you are mistaken, Ive always been interested in this camera, I was waiting for more reviews etc before I throw my money away.

All I was discussing was stock level and how much was allocated. Nothing more. Is that an acceptable 'point' for you?
That's fine. Though some peeps seemed sure the likes of me were throwing my money away like it was confetti I wasn't and I didn't as this is a big (and yet small & light) step up for me. Maybe this should be tempered by the bodies / systems I've used over the last 30 years so you get the point about how the A7RM2 is the best body I have owned and probably the last.
Olympus OM2n / OM4Ti
First digital was Minolta Dimage which obviously was cr*p
Canon 5D FF images like butta
Canon 40D to catch those boids
Canon 1D3 to catch boids and everything else that moved
Sony A7RM2 to catch everyday life as it happens and already doing this with just 2 tiny Sony FE lenses and love it.

Last edited:
They despatched loads last Thursday, with plenty of images and threads in various places as proof. There were 3 guys on a car forum I frequent that received them from WEX alone. If I could be bothered I could probably dig up at least 30+ individuals that have posted 'proof' online that I've seen so far, most said they came from WEX, and I have to presume there are plenty who don't bother showing off on the net as well as them.

Give us a break Chris, everybody is asking for samples to help them decide. Hardly "there are plenty who don't bother showing off on the net as well as them" What up with helping? I for one am reticent punting my 'crap' on the net but if peeps are able to see the quality despite my efforts then that's good.for all. What's the point of being here otherwise?

Give us a break Chris, everybody is asking for samples to help them decide. Hardly "there are plenty who don't bother showing off on the net as well as them" What up with helping? I for one am reticent punting my 'crap' on the net but if peeps are able to see the quality despite my efforts then that's good.for all. What's the point of being here otherwise?

Eh? Think you got the wrong end of the stick. We were discussing numbers delivered by WEX, not the quality or willingness to share. I was just saying there were easily 30 people posting samples on various forums that I frequent (not all photography specific) who got one from WEX, I imagine there are plenty more who aren't active on the net who got one on top of that.

The photo of 300+ in a warehouse on SAR is from 'Ringfoto' in Germany, not Best Buy.

Last edited:
Eh? Think you got the wrong end of the stick. We were discussing numbers delivered by WEX, not the quality or willingness to share. I was just saying there were easily 30 people posting samples on various forums that I frequent (not all photography specific) who got one from WEX, I imagine there are plenty more who aren't active on the net who got one on top of that.

The photo of 300+ in a warehouse on SAR is from 'Ringfoto' in Germany, not Best Buy.

My mistake, the headline read like they were from best buy. They must sell a lot Sony gear to have gotten a batch like that.

*cough cough* just thought we should clear this up ;) @c-m

A7lineup.jpg

Good spot. I accept that. They certainly weren't saying that at it's launch though.

Come Come Alan... you don't want one anyway :wave:
I think what I'd like is all the nice things but in a 24mp body. I've pretty much stopped printing these days and even when I did my 8mp 20D was good enough for an A3 print. These days me and friends and family mostly just swap 2000 pix wide pictures and even a 100% crop can probably do that.

I'm going to GF family wedding in Thailand next week and surprisingly I've been asked to take some shots as mine look "beautiful" but that praise is based on 2000pix wide pictures and any I supply will also very probably be 2000 wide too with of course the promise of supplying a full size file if required but no one will know what that means.

I'm not sure I want the hassle of processing and storing the much larger files from the A7rII and I don't think I need them.

Last edited:
Last edited:
For those interested in A7rII reviews the main guys at Luminous Landscape are shooting with them and promising a review soon.

In the meantime Kevin Raber seys...

"Michael and I are in the Palouse. Both of have been shooting with the a7r II for days. It's been long time since I have been so impressed by a camera. We'll do a report and review on this camera as soon as possible. I shot image last night at sunset with the Tamron 150-600mm at 600mm and it focuses great and fast. I have with us a full compliment of lenses including Batis lenses and we will do some comparison tests and we'll try to offer some sort of downloadable files (JPEGs at 100%) so you can look at things yourself. Bottom line impressive, responsive and some super captures so far."

For those interested in A7rII reviews the main guys at Luminous Landscape are shooting with them and promising a review soon.

In the meantime Kevin Raber seys...

"Michael and I are in the Palouse. Both of have been shooting with the a7r II for days. It's been long time since I have been so impressed by a camera. We'll do a report and review on this camera as soon as possible. I shot image last night at sunset with the Tamron 150-600mm at 600mm and it focuses great and fast. I have with us a full compliment of lenses including Batis lenses and we will do some comparison tests and we'll try to offer some sort of downloadable files (JPEGs at 100%) so you can look at things yourself. Bottom line impressive, responsive and some super captures so far."
Buy one mate

I'm going off the idea by the second. One thing I'd like is the electronic shutter but I've come to think it's of limited use as with my GX7 I get banding under artificial light, it's ok in daylight though.

Yea its fine during the day. Relax

Still got to be very careful with moving objects and keeping a steady hand, you're essentially shooting at 1/30, regardless of the shutter speed.

Gone quiet on here. Everyone too busy playing with their new a7rii?
I keep popping into jessops hoping to have a play with one. No luck yet..

Gone quiet on here. Everyone too busy playing with their new a7rii?
I keep popping into jessops hoping to have a play with one. No luck yet..
It's literally sold out. We only got 300 copies in total for the whole of the UK and there is a huge que for it as well because many who pre ordered before release. Missed out.

This thread could end up costing me money!

Im an mft user and currently own an EM1 and a number of lenses. My most frequently used are the 12 40 pro and 45mm 1.8. Today I went to buy a flash and looked at a used a7. Has anyone gone from an EM1 to A7? Whats the auto focus like in comparison and cheapest equivalent lenses please.

I went and bought myself a cheap Sigma 12-24 EX DG this week in Sony fit.

Finally got around to having a play at Goodwood with it today on my A7II using the LA-EA4 adaptor. I wasn't sure what to expect of the lens but I have to say that I'm very pleasantly suprised by it and it seems to work a treat on the A7...

Here is an example...

Back