The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Show me where, honestly show me one for 350 used. Obviously there is no point if you can get a 70-200 2.8 L for as little. There might also be the point that the prime is sharper and lighter, and not white [matters to some] - feel like people are arguing against a lens they barely ever heard of just for the sake of it. I don't care which you personally buy, but someone specifically mentioned a 200 2.8 ... maybe read back. I swear this is the only thread where disputes break out over a recommendation - you all hate it yet keep doing it

I've seen them go regularly for £450 or so. £500 from a reputable shop. For the sake of £100, i'd take the versatile lens. Thing is, i'm not looking for an argument here - you appear to be (over and over again) - I was merely pointing out it's a super niche product, as it's not very useful to most people. I didn't even quote your post, tbh. :rolleyes:

I've seen them go regularly for £450 or so. £500 from a reputable shop. For the sake of £100, i'd take the versatile lens. Thing is, i'm not looking for an argument here - you appear to be (over and over again) - I was merely pointing out it's a super niche product, as it's not very useful to most people. I didn't even quote your post, tbh. :rolleyes:

Every time I see his name theres usually an argument lurking somewhere. That followed by some non funny joke involving the aperture twins LOL

The Canon is pretty small and light for a 200mm 2.8 prime, if you're only after the longer end of a 70-200 I think it's a steal. It adapts really nicely to Sony too. Good ol' Jason Lanier did a video on it adapted to an A7RII I believe and he was blown away.

I keep fancying a longer prime and they do come up at tempting prices but then I remember that I haven't really got a use for one and it's just gas. I do have a 135mm f2.8 but I hardly ever use it and focal length up to 200mm or so are too short for birds or moon shots which is the sort of thing I'd like a longer lens for so all I'd be left with is tighter portraits which is all I can think I'd use the 100-200mm sort of length for.

You might have seen the bird shots I posted in the Panasonic thread a while back, stuff like this...

vM2k9qq.jpg

That'll be something like an 80-100% crop at an equivalent 300mm so 200mm an my A7 just isn't going to help me for that or moon shots.

If you have one what do you use it for?

PS.
Might be sort of ok for squirrel shots though.

Last edited:
Every time I see his name theres usually an argument lurking somewhere. That followed by some non funny joke involving the aperture twins LOL

Dunno is argument is the right word... maybe just people stating a view the hold clearly :D and it's all welcome here surely :D

I do have a 135mm f2.8 but I hardly ever use it

I loved my AIS Nikkor 135 f2.8 with the D610, but TBH I find adaptors a PITA with the A7 and it's now going unloved & unused. The LA-EA4 is bulky (not surprising, since it contains an AF system) and I'm too tight to spend enough to buy a manual adapter that actually fits without slop (K&F is a bit poo). If the used 135 f1.8 in the classifieds was £400 then I'd find a way, but I won't use it *that* much to pay £750.

For what its worth I have used both the 200mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8 and image quality wise they are equal in my opinion, the zoom has the versatility over the prime that is all (y)

Last edited:
I loved my AIS Nikkor 135 f2.8 with the D610, but TBH I find adaptors a PITA with the A7 and it's now going unloved & unused. The LA-EA4 is bulky (not surprising, since it contains an AF system) and I'm too tight to spend enough to buy a manual adapter that actually fits without slop (K&F is a bit poo). If the used 135 f1.8 in the classifieds was £400 then I'd find a way, but I won't use it *that* much to pay £750.

I have a K&F for my Nikon lenses and it's rock sold. The dot you line the lenses up to when mounting is a bit off but the lenses do mount facing exactly up as far as I can see. I have Novoflex adapters for Minolta Rokkor, Olympus Zuiko and Canon FD.

Jeez get over it, it's days later and you're still harping on! The whole thread knows you and your twin cause 90% of the arguments in here. If I'm the other 10% so be it. But I'm not the reason newcomers don't stick around here that's for certain. I have the other one blocked because he got so boring, maybe you should do same with me? very easily sorted

Dunno is argument is the right word... maybe just people stating a view the hold clearly :D and it's all welcome here surely :D

Precisely, I don't even see a little debate on lenses as an 'argument'

All I did was mention how useful a Canon lens would be for the person who actually was interested. Enter the usual clique to nay say any suggestions, god forbid anyone outside should dare make any. I barely touch this thread these days, I don't even remember quoting you tbh. For people not looking for arguments you sure do keep them rolling

Last edited:
I keep fancying a longer prime and they do come up at tempting prices but then I remember that I haven't really got a use for one and it's just gas. I do have a 135mm f2.8 but I hardly ever use it and focal length up to 200mm or so are too short for birds or moon shots which is the sort of thing I'd like a longer lens for so all I'd be left with is tighter portraits which is all I can think I'd use the 100-200mm sort of length for.

You might have seen the bird shots I posted in the Panasonic thread a while back, stuff like this...

vM2k9qq.jpg

That'll be something like an 80-100% crop at an equivalent 300mm so 200mm an my A7 just isn't going to help me for that or moon shots.

If you have one what do you use it for?

PS.
Might be sort of ok for squirrel shots though.

200mm is definitely a lot better on crop, but with the 2x TC you can have 400 5.6 which is decent for FF. It's still £900, but you get 2 lenses in that pretty much. Lovely bird, should see the Robins back here soon enough, I don't leave out any seed during the summer but I do in Autumn/winter and they come in pretty close.

200mm is definitely a lot better on crop, but with the 2x TC you can have 400 5.6 which is decent for FF. It's still £900, but you get 2 lenses in that pretty much. Lovely bird, should see the Robins back here soon enough, I don't leave out any seed during the summer but I do in Autumn/winter and they come in pretty close.

To be honest I think I'm much more likely to go for the Panasonic 100-400mm than anything for my A7 if only because the MFT stuff is smaller.

Can't believe you got such a nice shot of a kingfisher on your first outing.... very jealous

I'll be honest, it very nearly got binned. Really harsh light etc but a bit of work got a half decent image.

I'm pretty lucky where I live, Kingfishers are regular visitors ;)

I'll be honest, it very nearly got binned. Really harsh light etc but a bit of work got a half decent image.

I'm pretty lucky where I live, Kingfishers are regular visitors ;)

I should probably visit where you live then :D
I am really struggling to get a good shot of one :(

I nearly ordered one but was put off by the issues. i am sure sigma will fix it but I'll buy one when its properly tested by others for everything.

What are the issues?

Size and weight are the obvious ones for me but that reviewer seems to think it's rather good.

What are the issues?

Size and weight are the obvious ones for me but that reviewer seems to think it's rather good.

as mentioned above issue with using it in video mode. There was a video of it a few pages back, I'll let @F/1.4 elaborate for us.

as mentioned above issue with using it in video mode. There was a video of it a few pages back, I'll let @F/1.4 elaborate for us.

Shooting 100p footage in any light at all, daylight / indoor etc when shot at f/1.2 produces a strong strobing/flickering effect rendering it useless atm for video for me.

Its a large lens but by FAR the best 35mm I have ever used, insanely sharp wide open and gorgeous bokeh. Downside is its fairly large

I'm just wondering, for all those who have jumped ship from the likes of Canon and Nikon etc if you would jump ship again when they release their next Gen/have more native lenses?

The reason I ask is I've been using the Sony System exclusively for the last month or so (still have my Nikon and Fuji system) and although the Sony system is great at somethings in many others it's terrible.

The advantage Sony have at the moment is they have a great selection of lenses and great AF with the likes of Eye AF. However I feel that if you take those factors away the system is really not that good, certainly not from a usability point for me anyway and not in many other areas.

I needed a FF mirrorless system and the Sony is presently the best option, however do I enjoy using it.... no not really, unlike the Fuji which makes you enjoy the process of taking photos the Sony is completely the opposite for me and the Sony does not have many of the little things that make the D850 so good. Yes the end result is OK but the process of getting it no so.

Anyway I guess it's going to be a good couple of years before there is a good alternative so may as well get used to it but interested to hear what others honestly think.

I'm just wondering, for all those who have jumped ship from the likes of Canon and Nikon etc if you would jump ship again when they release their next Gen/have more native lenses?

The reason I ask is I've been using the Sony System exclusively for the last month or so (still have my Nikon and Fuji system) and although the Sony system is great at somethings in many others it's terrible.

The advantage Sony have at the moment is they have a great selection of lenses and great AF with the likes of Eye AF. However I feel that if you take those factors away the system is really not that good, certainly not from a usability point for me anyway and not in many other areas.

I needed a FF mirrorless system and the Sony is presently the best option, however do I enjoy using it.... no not really, unlike the Fuji which makes you enjoy the process of taking photos the Sony is completely the opposite for me and the Sony does not have many of the little things that make the D850 so good. Yes the end result is OK but the process of getting it no so.

Anyway I guess it's going to be a good couple of years before there is a good alternative so may as well get used to it but interested to hear what others honestly think.

What do you find terrible?

I will jump ship as soon as something becomes available that will make a significant difference either in Image quality or something that provides features that make my life easier.

I don't care about what brand I am using at all the only thing I am interested in is perfomance and ease of use.

Back