The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

oooo... nice. Look forward to hearing your AF comparison between A9 and A7RIV in that case :)

I can tell you the A9 is better when it comes to fast moving subjects. The A7Riv however is fine for pretty much everything else and even with fast moving subjects it performs pretty good, better than the A7Riii anyway but hit rate isn’t as good as the A9.

if I had to choose just one camera out of the two it would be the A7Riv without a doubt but the high mp wouldn’t suit everyone.

if you can afford a Z7 and D850 surely you can afford the A7RIV and think of all the savings you will make on glass :D

Z primes - which one? :D
after the marketing push about the large mount being nirvana their primes focuses is slower, less sharp than FE and larger than FE. The only thing they have achieved over current FE lenses i.e. lenses for a small mount is better CA control which has nothing to do with the mount diameter. Sony just seems to no care about it too much.

They completely lost me when the Z 24mm f1.8 turned out to be larger than 24GM which is widely accepted as the best 24mm around!
I'm not sure where you're getting some of your stats, the Sony 50mm f1.8 scores 26mpix on the A7rII whereas the 50mm Z scores 30mpix on the Z7 ;)

As for affording the A7RIV I'd lose out selling the Z7 to buy the Sony, then I have the G versions of the 50mm, 85mm and 70-200mm f2.8, I'd hate to think what I'd lose swapping those for the Sony equivalents :(

I'm not sure where you're getting some of your stats, the Sony 50mm f1.8 scores 26mpix on the A7rII whereas the 50mm Z scores 30mpix on the Z7 ;)

As for affording the A7RIV I'd lose out selling the Z7 to buy the Sony, then I have the G versions of the 50mm, 85mm and 70-200mm f2.8, I'd hate to think what I'd lose swapping those for the Sony equivalents :(

That not the right comparison though. You very well know Z 50/1.8 is more equivalent Sony's FE55/1.8 ;)
But the price of Z50 has dropped quite a bit. Wonder why that is :p

You won't lose much if anything in fact you'll gain as far as 85mm goes :)

I can tell you the A9 is better when it comes to fast moving subjects. The A7Riv however is fine for pretty much everything else and even with fast moving subjects it performs pretty good, better than the A7Riii anyway but hit rate isn’t as good as the A9.

if I had to choose just one camera out of the two it would be the A7Riv without a doubt but the high mp wouldn’t suit everyone.

I shoot pretty much anything and everything.

That not the right comparison though. You very well know Z 50/1.8 is more equivalent Sony's FE55/1.8 ;)
But the price of Z50 has dropped quite a bit. Wonder why that is :p

You won't lose much if anything in fact you'll gain as far as 85mm goes :)
Nah, Sony 55mm is £645 on amazon, Nikon 50mm f1.8 z is £319 (y). Z50 price dropped already, didn't think it was even released yet ;) :p

Nah, Sony 55mm is £645 on amazon, Nikon 50mm f1.8 z is £319 (y). Z50 price dropped already, didn't think it was even released yet ;) :p

oh yeah there is a Z50 body! I was referring to the price drop of Z 50mm prime whose price has taken a steep drive!

For anyone who cares about the Sigma 45mm f2.8 and possible focus issues in continuous focus mode there's some interesting comments on another site...

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1608234/25

So sadly Sigma may not be able to fix this issue with a firmware update which is a shame as the lens looks interesting and gave me a little hope that Sigma might have had some different design priorities (other than sharpness across the frame) for a range of new lenses.

oh yeah there is a Z50 body! I was referring to the price drop of Z 50mm prime whose price has taken a steep drive!
I know, I was pulling your leg ;) It needed to, was overpriced at release. Hoping the 85mm will become more reasonable too. Next lens I'm interested in is the 70-200mm f2.8 but that will be seriously crazy priced.

For anyone who cares about the Sigma 45mm f2.8 and possible focus issues in continuous focus mode there's some interesting comments on another site...

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1608234/25

So sadly Sigma may not be able to fix this issue with a firmware update which is a shame as the lens looks interesting and gave me a little hope that Sigma might have had some different design priorities (other than sharpness across the frame) for a range of new lenses.

I have cooled somewhat on the lens too, and would probably choose the Sammy 45 f1.8 for the wider aperture, better focussing and greater sharpness (and lower cost). But what I need is a decent portrait lens, rather than another standard lens.

Is that the mk1 or 2?

Hopefully it'll arrive on time and not go on a couriers mystery tour :D

It's a Mk1 (from Panamoz (yeah I know, booo, hiss etc...)) They're so cheap at the minute and I've been after one for ages.

It'll be interesting to see how my Canon 400mm f/2.8 L IS works with it.

Last edited:
I have cooled somewhat on the lens too, and would probably choose the Sammy 45 f1.8 for the wider aperture, better focussing and greater sharpness (and lower cost). But what I need is a decent portrait lens, rather than another standard lens.

I just like the idea of the lens being designed for the look it gives rather than being the best of the best into the corners. I suppose that's why I like using older lenses and the e mount Voigtlanders.

I'll have a read up on that Samyang It could still be an alternative to the Sony 35 and 55mm f1.8's.

I suppose you've looked at the Sony 85mm f1.8?

I know, I was pulling your leg ;) It needed to, was overpriced at release. Hoping the 85mm will become more reasonable too. Next lens I'm interested in is the 70-200mm f2.8 but that will be seriously crazy priced.

Probably the same price as Sony/Canon.

I really liked the look of their roadmap especially because it has the same zooms I have now. Interesting to see how their 200-600mm will turn out. Really liking my Sony one so far.

Probably the same price as Sony/Canon.

I really liked the look of their roadmap especially because it has the same zooms I have now. Interesting to see how their 200-600mm will turn out. Really liking my Sony one so far.
What was the Sony at launch? My other concern is that the swapped the zoom and focus ring around on the latest G version, I hope they go back to the old layout. I really like the look of the 24-70mm f2.8 Z but it's outta my price range, plus I hardly ever used the 24-70mm f2.8 G. Always nice to have in the collection though :LOL:

What was the Sony at launch? My other concern is that the swapped the zoom and focus ring around on the latest G version, I hope they go back to the old layout. I really like the look of the 24-70mm f2.8 Z but it's outta my price range, plus I hardly ever used the 24-70mm f2.8 G. Always nice to have in the collection though :LOL:

Z 24-70 seems to be the best one of the lot. so certainly nice to have in your collection :D

Sony 70-200GM was £2.5K at launch.

I just like the idea of the lens being designed for the look it gives rather than being the best of the best into the corners. I suppose that's why I like using older lenses and the e mount Voigtlanders.

I'll have a read up on that Samyang It could still be an alternative to the Sony 35 and 55mm f1.8's.

I suppose you've looked at the Sony 85mm f1.8?
I like the idea better when the first review suggested it was sharp corner to corner AND it gave that lovely bokeh and smooth rendering. Overall shortcomings and reports of decentering make it too expensive for what it offers.

I have thought long and hard about the Sony 85 and decided that it's probably not the lens I want. Torn between the viltrox because of the rendering and price, and the Sammy for fast aperture and sharpness. Pretty sure AF would be good enough in both cases.

I wouldn't be worried about decentering or any other out of the box problems as if there are any issues at all it'd go straight back and be replaced with another one. The continuous focus issue is different as it looks like it's not actually a fault as such and rather something they'll all do with some scenes and lighting if it is a pdaf and ca issue but it's probably something that wont affect me anyway.

I was interested as it looks nicely made and it gives a look but I probably wont get one as the f2.8 is a bit ordinary really and my attention has turned to the Voigtlander 50mm f2.

Day at the zoo, 1400+ shots, whole day shooting accidentally in crop mode :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I wouldn't be worried about decentering or any other out of the box problems as if there are any issues at all it'd go straight back and be replaced with another one.

More hassle if it were bought grey. If it were around the same price as the Sony 50 f1.8 FE then it would be a no-brainer, but it's real money - LCE had one for £400 used - and that's too much for what it offers.

Back